damn gas prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dommo2007

Reaction score
I have a 96 Bronco with the 5.0 and e4od auto. I have noticed over the past couple of tanks of gas that my gas mileage has dropped quite a bit and I was wondering what upgrades or fixes might be recommended to get better fuel economy.

black beauty

Reaction score
a tune up helped with mine alot when the gas mileage went down. that and every other tank i fill up i put a bottle of lucas fule injector cleaner in the tank and that helps alot. and thats better than re gearing the truck so better highway speeds. but thats not really practical because it would take forever for the higher gears to pay back for the increased gas mileage. the tires you run also affect the gas mileage so maybe a smaller lighter tire may be your answer

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming the CEL is not lit;

Basics:

Check tire pressure -

what type of tire do you have & what PSI is in there?

& have you changed to larger diameter tires (32's 33's etc. but not calibrated the PSOM?

Reduce cargo weight (I took out a lot of tools and junk I've been carrying around)

Ck air filter

Pull a plug or 2 and ck; altho the factory platinums are "good for 100K miles" they do gap wider over time.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Assuming the CEL is not lit;Basics:

Check tire pressure -

what type of tire do you have & what PSI is in there?

& have you changed to larger diameter tires (32's 33's etc. but not calibrated the PSOM?

Reduce cargo weight (I took out a lot of tools and junk I've been carrying around)

Ck air filter

Pull a plug or 2 and ck; altho the factory platinums are "good for 100K miles" they do gap wider over time.
Along with weight reduction is remove the rear passenger seat if you don't use it. You can always put it back in if you need to. Since you are thinking of re-gearing, keep the gear ratio as low as you can stand it with the tires you are going to have mounted as long as you keep in the acceptable RPM range suggested for the engine.

:)>-

OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
well, my tires are just about shot...that is HIGH on the list of things to do...lol. I guess I didnt really think about that, since they were at about the same level(maybe 5/32...maybe less) when I bought it. But between that and the cold weather, I am sure they are low on pressure, so I think they just moved to the top of the list as crap to replace. Thanks guys.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
have you changed to larger diameter tires (32's 33's etc. but not calibrated the PSOM?
What is the PSOM?

Is it in a '90 302?

I went from 31`'s to 33's

Do you have a link to instructions for calibrating it?

ccool416

Reaction score
Uh Oh, Me too, I have a 95 xlt and have 33's I have not recalibrated anything. Is is that important? What is it? Where can I find it? How do I do it?

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
I have noticed that if I buy gas from a place that says they are using 10% ethanol which cost about 5 cents less per gallon I get a mile or two less per gallon. So I buy 100% gasoline from places like BP or Phillips 66 because that 5 cent difference ain't worth it when 12-15 mpg city is about as good as a 4x4 v-8 like the Bronco is going to get.

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
I think it has to be right there near the octane rating. It will say it clearly near where the pump handle is.

Many convenience store chains and discount places like Walmart, Kroger, Food City etc. that also offer cheap fuel prices will have alcohol and if they were say 20% cheaper it might be a deal, but they are typically about 5 cents cheaper and that ain't enough for the loss of mileage.

These are my observations and are in no way to be considered as fact, so try and notice for yourself if there is a decline when using these products.

e10.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the PSOM?Is it in a '90 302?

I went from 31`'s to 33's

Do you have a link to instructions for calibrating it?
Joe

Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM)

you don't have one in your 90

you have geared speedometer/odometer

Gears for 2WD manual trans Ford vehicles & all 4WD pre-92 trucks

Source: by Fireguy50

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109671

INSTRUMENTATION & WARNING; gauges, speedometer, PSOM, TSBs... -> Dash - A Pillar, Dash, Gauges, PSOM, Speedometer, TSBs -> Instrument Panel; Gauges, Speedometer, PSOM, etc. -> Speedometer

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
The cheapest I have found it here is about $3.10 or so, but is going up quick. As to Jed...man, I wish my Bronco got 12-15 in the city!! lol. I am looking at about 10-11 in the city, and about 15 on the highway. And I have only the 302 so I figured I would get better mileage than the 351. ***** it, I am gonna go look for a nice, old Geo Metro, and throw a lift and tires on that. That will be the sweetest muddin vehcle EVER!! lol.

Oh yeah...to Black beauty(or anyone else who uses fuel additives on a regular basis), I used a bottle of the Lucas Fual additive stuff about one full tank ago. I know with any of those products, the next tank or so you will probably see WORSE mileage, but after that it should go up(in theroy) to better than before, right? Now granted, I didnt put in a full tank when I put it in, maybe about 3/4 or so, but I used up that tank, now on the next tank, so hopefully I should see a little improvement, right? RIGHT?!? :rolleyes: Speaking of which, my buddy(who probably knows about as much about trucks as I do, which is very little) says that you can put WAY more than that little bottle in with one tank. He says to use one of the larger bottles...I dunno the exact size, maybe 3 small bottles worth. Anyone tried this? Am I gonna fry my fuel lines, and any other plastic peices in the way?

Last edited by a moderator:

bko4x4er

Reaction score
its about 3.19 here. just do a tune up. new dist. cap. new plugs, new wires. oil change, new air filter. and fuel filter. i had 31s and got about 10 mpg after that. then i added 33s and went back to 7 again.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
its about 3.19 here. just do a tune up. new dist. cap. new plugs, new wires. oil change, new air filter. and fuel filter. i had 31s and got about 10 mpg after that. then i added 33s and went back to 7 again.
If you have not corrected your odometer, you need to correct for the difference in tire sizes when you calculate gas mileage.

To do so, divide 33/31 and multiply that 1.0645 % times your calculated mpg so a 7mpg recalculates to 7.45 mpg

bko4x4er

Reaction score
If you have not corrected your odometer, you need to correct for the difference in tire sizes when you calculate gas mileage.To do so, divide 33/31 and multiply that 1.0645 % times your calculated mpg so a 7mpg recalculates to 7.45 mpg
yoda got skillz.

well i also have 252,000 k miles and its my dd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23