damn gas prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
JoeProgrammable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM)

you don't have one in your 90

you have geared speedometer/odometer

Gears for 2WD manual trans Ford vehicles & all 4WD pre-92 trucks

Source: by Fireguy50

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109671

INSTRUMENTATION & WARNING; gauges, speedometer, PSOM, TSBs... -> Dash - A Pillar, Dash, Gauges, PSOM, Speedometer, TSBs -> Instrument Panel; Gauges, Speedometer, PSOM, etc. -> Speedometer
Miesk5,

Thanks man you are the best! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

joe

OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
ok, just looked at bko4x4er's signature... 6mpg SUCKS. I will from now on never, EVER bitch about gas mileage. lol

OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
Ok, idiot move of the week for me...turns out I am a big ****** but, on the other hand, I got my gas mileage back into the realm of the reasonable: My handy dandy little tire pressure guage from the local auto parts store appearently reads at just over 30psi, no matter what your tire pressure is. I say that because I have been rolling around at between 10-14psi and I thought it was about 30-32psi, and I couldnt figure out why my mileage was so bad. :rolleyes: Are you kidding me...THIS is so perfectly my luck...I just have to grab the one ******** tire prussure guage. LOL...aw ****, maybe I should just stick to a bike or something, I might have better luck. But atleast my mileage is back up to about 11-12 in town and about 15-16 on the highway, which is just fine by me.

Anywho, the point of this post was anyone who wants to is more than welcome to get in a free laugh at this. I thought it was kinda funny...only because I fixed it finally.

Later Y'all

Big_Brown_Bronco

Reaction score
For those of you still reading this thread, check out these sites for some fuel mileage information...

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/

http://www.lubedev.com/

There is some very interseting information, if you are willing to dig through it, about methods to increase fuel economy. Granted the Bronco is a BIG 4x4 mpv and will proably never see 20 mpg, but even an increase of 2-5% in mileage over a tank of fuel is worth it. I have currently implemented some of the suggestions and am testing the results. If you are interested, contact me and I will let you know what i've done and how things are going so far.

OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
Greenmonster...

First of all, right on man, that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I have tried various sites, maybe I typed in the wrong key words to the search button,(yes, I tried "better mileage"...lol)I dunno...but that was definatly one very comprehensive thread you put together. So the question is... If I were somehow able to afford all those mods listed, I figure it would come up to somewhere around a 13-14mpg increase...just going off your numbers, not counting stuff like droping weight, some of the additives, that crap. Could I really expect those kinds of numbers...I mean, that would more than double my mileage...for that kind of gain, I would be more than willing to part with a couple thousand bucks...****, it would pay for itself in like a month or so at the rate I am going...lol.

Well, at any rate, thanks a bunch for pointing my towards that thread.

Later

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
Ok, now I am really confused...

Just got around to reading some of the info at

and

I am by no means a mechanic of any sort, but alot of that info made no sense. I have always been under the impression that engines run better when they are cooler. Hence the cold air intakes, thermostats that run cooler, etc. On these websites, it says basically the exact opposite...that engines perform optimally at a higher tempature. Even goes as far as saying a "fuel warmer" will increase mileage and power. Someone who knows more than me please explain, because I am now throuoghly confused. Basically, from your experience, would a cold air intake, thermostat, throttle body spacer, all that cool stuff be a good investment, or do I want to make my gas warmer.

michibronc

Reaction score
dommo,

I believe you may be confusing the performance gains of having cold air coming into the engine with a cold engine itself. While it is advantageous to put cold air into the combustion chamber due to its higher density (higher density with equal volume means greater mass of air so more efficient combustion), it is not advantageous to have a cold engine and oil. The article at lubedev is correct because a warmed up engine definitely performs better and more efficiently. I'm going from memory here but the article doesn't talk about cold air coming into the engine - just the peak operating temperature of the engine and what temp thermostat to use to maintain that peak temp.

The business about a fuel warmer is to increase the vapor pressure of the fuel (warm liquids vaporize more readily than cold), meaning a finer mist of fuel which increases surface area for the fuel / oxygen combustion reaction to occur. This leads to increased efficiency and mileage.

I've read through that site and most of the science seems pretty sound - but some of the mileage claims on there seem a bit too good to be true. I seem to remember Seabronc saying in a post some time back that he's been using the acetone as an additive and has noticed mileage gains (sorry Seabronc if it wasn't you!), so maybe some folks who have been trying that can chime in and give their experience.

At the very least, adding the acetone will keep your engine running cleaner. The effects of a clean fuel injection or carbueration system alone may boost the mileage enough to offset the cost of the acetone you have to purchase - but I haven't personally used it to see. You don't have to boose mileage much to save big $'s at today's gas prices. If you're getting 12 miles / gal at 3.50 / gal, that means you're traveling about 3.4 miles for each dollar you spend in gas - UGLY!

Hope this helps.

Just got around to reading some of the info at

and

I am by no means a mechanic of any sort, but alot of that info made no sense. I have always been under the impression that engines run better when they are cooler. Hence the cold air intakes, thermostats that run cooler, etc. On these websites, it says basically the exact opposite...that engines perform optimally at a higher tempature. Even goes as far as saying a "fuel warmer" will increase mileage and power. Someone who knows more than me please explain, because I am now throuoghly confused. Basically, from your experience, would a cold air intake, thermostat, throttle body spacer, all that cool stuff be a good investment, or do I want to make my gas warmer.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
<snip> Basically, from your experience, would a cold air intake, thermostat, throttle body spacer, all that cool stuff be a good investment, or do I want to make my gas warmer.
IMO... all of that add on crap is add on crap.

Basically a well running Bronco should get between 11 and 15 mpg.

If one is getting less than 10 mpg all of those add ons will not make an improvement.

I am thinking about starting a tuneup and code checking thread to pretty much address this low mpg issue.

There are probably three main reasons why anyone would get less than 10mpg

1. the truck is not properly tuned, or has a malfunctioning fuel ignition system.

You have a '93... check for DTC diagnostic trouble codes, and give your truck a tuneup that includes an air filter. EDIT:(I just realized you have a '96... you can bring your truck to autozone or another parts store to get your codes checked for free. Make sure they also do the KOER checks)

2. The driver has poor driving habits.... IE his foot is either on the gas, or the brake, he has no concept of coast.

3. The truck is always running cold, (very short trips) sits idleing more often than moving (warms up in the driveway for ten minutes to take a three minute drive), or is often in bumper to bumper trafic (where it takes twenty minutes to go three miles.

OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
First off, thanks for the reply guys(or girls, whichever)

Michibronc,

I cant seem to get back to that site to re-read it, but I think that you are right, in that I read into it as my engine somehow functions better cold. When I suddenly hit the jackpot, I may throw on a "fuel warmer" just to see if it does anything worthwhile. Not any time soon though, so I will try the acetone additive, and see how that goes first.

BroncoJoe,

Basically, my plans for the Bronco far exceed my wallet at the current moment, so the parts I mentioned are in the catagory of the fuel warmer, maybe if I manage to save some money on the next deployment. But believe me when I say that I had no false hopes of the Bronco getting 20+mpg when I bought it, just that I have to have something to bitch about. If I do ever win the lottery, mark my words, I will have the only FSB that gets over 30mpg with out having swapped in a honda 4 banger...lol. With enough money spent, it has to be possible...lol But ****, if I won the lotto, I would gladly pay $4/ gal or whatever its supposed to be by summer.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
First off, thanks for the reply guys(or girls, whichever)<snip>

BroncoJoe,

Basically, my plans for the Bronco far exceed my wallet at the current moment, so the parts I mentioned are in the catagory of the fuel warmer,<snip>
Dommo2007,

A basic tuneup would cost approx $50 (pretty much the same as a fuel warmer. If you are currently getting approx 6 mpg, a $50 tuneup may increase your mpg to 12mpg.

My initial tuneup brought me from 5-6 to 10mpg.

I had a bad MAP sensor which when replaced brought me to 11mpg.

I had a bad TPS, which when replaced made my transmission shift better, and now I am getting 12.5 mpg 75% city 25% highway.

That's with 33 in tires.

I understand that if finances are tight, that things may have to get put off, but the point I am trying to make is that you will be better served by fixing your truck or driving habits so that you are in the 12mpg range which we all know is attainable.

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
just for others to know lol that bko4x4er's signature is wrong he hasnt changed it since his tune up hes getting around 11-12 now.

OP
OP
D

dommo2007

Reaction score
I am getting about 13mpg city, so I really shouldnt be complaining. Like I said, I need something to bitch about, and this is the topic of the week for me. As far as the tune up goes, I replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, oil filter and oil, changed all fluids, all that nice stuff when I bought the truck a couple months ago. Ran some Lucas fuel additive about 2 tanks ago. That other stuff...exhaust, chip, all that crap...thats more just stuff I would like to put on some day, more of something to do than anything else. The fuel warmer...well, I dont know if I really want to spend $225 for something that I have no idea if it does ANY good or not. Again, just crap that if I somehow win the lotto, I may throw on to see what good if any it does.

Although I knew I wasnt going to break any record with gas mileage, when I started this thread, it bothered me a little more than after reading about folks getting 6-8mpg, so dont take my ******** TOO seriously, although I do appriciate the responses and the info. Gotta question though: what is a MAP sensor and TPS(Throttle Position Sensor??) and should I check that these are functioning properly? I mean, do these commonly go out, because it didnt even occur to me to check these parts.

Thanks

Oh yeah, almost forgot, my driving habits are fairly "grandma-ish". Not so much worried about gas for that, but I dont need any more tickets. Off road I like to play around pretty good(as much as you can for a stock truck), but on the street, I generally drive fairly conservatively. But the point was taken about the driver being a big effect on mpg.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Gotta question though: what is a MAP sensor and TPS(Throttle Position Sensor??) and should I check that these are functioning properly? I mean, do these commonly go out, because it didnt even occur to me to check these parts.
There's enough information here on sensors for your eyes to go blurry.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/

As mentioned in this or other threads, keep your tire presure up, and reduce weight in the truck.

I don't know what FORD stated was teh expected mpg for a bronco is. If you find out, I would like to know. I suspect that at 13 city you are already getting what the advertised range is/was.

joe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula