Code Reader Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4bybeach

Reaction score
First time in the Zone, long time owner. I have a 90 Bronc with a 302 and E4OD. I have been expirenecing tranny shifting issues so I went to hook up my reader and auto x-ray 5000 and it is not picking up a signal from the vehicle in either KOEO or KOER, and yes it is configured for the make and year. Any posible solutions? I am trying to see if there are any trouble codes that are not tripping the check engine light.

OP
OP

4bybeach

Reaction score
Check all the fuses, there is sometimes a fuse that powers the diagnostic port.

Thanks, I checked the fuses in the block the other day, but, then I read in my manual last night there are some more fuses and fusable links around the fuse block. I will look into it and let you know.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Fuse Block Diagram in a 90

100_2691.jpg

Source: by ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong)

Check #17

if good mechanically and electrically;

check PCM & Fuse Pump Relays for corrosion etc.

Check Ground GRAY/RED

Check voltages from Ign Sw Ckt, etc. using:

EEC IV Pin-Outs (Partial) in 88-89 & 90-91 Bronco 4.9; 88-90, 91 & 92-93 Bronco 5.0; 88-91 & 92-93 Bronco 5.8; Looking Into Harness Connectors in Ford Electronic Engine Control Overview, Chapter 12, of Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993

Source: by Charles O. Probst

scroll to page 395

http://www.yunost.ru/docs/Ford-injectors-book/Part12/Part12-4/Part12-4.pdf

&

NO CODES Troubleshooting in EEC IV; "...The self-test plugs were mounted on the passenger side fender on 1985-86 EFI trucks; The self-test plugs are located along the driver's side fender behind the air filter box on 87-95 EFI trucks..."; Hardware Limited Operation Strategy (HLOS) Overview; HLOS mode is used when the system fault(s) is too extreme for the FMEM mode to handle. In HLOS mode, all software operations have stopped and the computer is running on hardware control only. The default strategy for this mode has a minimal calibration just to allow the vehicle to operate until it can be serviced. NOTE: IN HLOS MODE YOU WILL NOT GET ERROR CODES. The MIL light is turned on as a bulb check when the ignition key is first turned "ON". The EEC IV computer turns off the bulb as soon as it receives the PIP (crank) signal. If the light stays on during cranking, the computer is not receiving the PIP signal. Check Battery voltage, must be above 10.5 volts. Replace battery if not. Check battery connections, corrosion, ground faults, and wiring. Fix all wiring. Check alternator output, must be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts. Replace Alternator if not. Any recent voltage irregularities from electrical charging system can cause failures. Replace alternator and any damaged circuits, wiring, and components. Check fusible links on Starter Solenoid if equipped. Check fuses and surge protection diode in under hood Power Distribution Box. Replace any fuses, diodes, and links if needed. Check EEC relay, must show battery voltage when engaged. Replace relay and damaged wiring if not. Make sure pin 30 on the computer is hooked up correctly. Manual transmission computers need to sense SIG-RTN on pin 30 when in neutral. Automatic transmission computers need to sense Ground on pin 30 when in neutral. Electronicly controled automatic computers need an operational Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) Check aftermarket devices like alarm system connected to engine or computer components. Restore engine and computer system to original configuration. Check aftermarket computer chips and other plug in controls. Any chips or controls that impede basic engine and computer function need to be removed. Restore computer and harness to original configuration. Disconnect computer and inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires. Replace computer if visually damaged, repair any damaged pins in harness. Visually inspect the ENTIRE engine and computer wiring harness and connections for corrosion, ground faults, shorts, physical damage, and general condition. FIX ANY & ALL PROBLEMS! Check Self-Test Input circuit on Pin 48 at computer harness for shorts to ground. Replace faulty wiring. Remove check engine light bulb and check Self-Test Output circuit for shorts to ground. Replace faulty wiring. Check Engine Light for damage. Replace faulty light bulb. Measure resistance between battery negative post and pins 20, 40, and 60 at the computer harness. Resistance must be less than 5.0 ohms. Replace faulty wiring between computer and battery if not. Turn key to ON with engine OFF and computer removed. Measure voltage on pins 1, 37, and 57. Must be above 10.5 volts and within 1.0 volt of each other. Replace faulty wiring between computer and battery if not. Turn key ON with engine OFF and computer reinstalled. Measure voltage between Pin 26 and 46 (voltage reference and signal return) must be between 4.0-6.0 volts. Replace faulty wiring and sensors. Measure resistance between Pin 46 and Pins 40 and 60 at the computer harness, must be less than 5.0 ohms. If all the wiring and sensors check out, Replace the computer. Complete list of 2-Digit Self-Test Codes and their definitions. Complete list of 3-Digit Self-Test Codes and their definitions..."

miesk5 NOTE; Self-Test Input (STI) is the Pin in the Lt gray Connector and Signal Return Ground (STO/SIGRET) is Pin E in black Connector in 87-95; The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accesories/lights, etc. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first. Fix any codes from the KOEO test before you do the running test (KOER, key on, engine running). Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=44

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

4bybeach

Reaction score
yo

Fuse Block Diagram in a 90

100_2691.jpg

Source: by ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong)

Check #17

if good mechanically and electrically;

check PCM & Fuse Pump Relays for corrosion etc.

Check Ground GRAY/RED

Check voltages from Ign Sw Ckt, etc. using:

EEC IV Pin-Outs (Partial) in 88-89 & 90-91 Bronco 4.9; 88-90, 91 & 92-93 Bronco 5.0; 88-91 & 92-93 Bronco 5.8; Looking Into Harness Connectors in Ford Electronic Engine Control Overview, Chapter 12, of Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993

Source: by Charles O. Probst

scroll to page 395

http://www.yunost.ru/docs/Ford-injectors-book/Part12/Part12-4/Part12-4.pdf

&

NO CODES Troubleshooting in EEC IV; "...The self-test plugs were mounted on the passenger side fender on 1985-86 EFI trucks; The self-test plugs are located along the driver's side fender behind the air filter box on 87-95 EFI trucks..."; Hardware Limited Operation Strategy (HLOS) Overview; HLOS mode is used when the system fault(s) is too extreme for the FMEM mode to handle. In HLOS mode, all software operations have stopped and the computer is running on hardware control only. The default strategy for this mode has a minimal calibration just to allow the vehicle to operate until it can be serviced. NOTE: IN HLOS MODE YOU WILL NOT GET ERROR CODES. The MIL light is turned on as a bulb check when the ignition key is first turned "ON". The EEC IV computer turns off the bulb as soon as it receives the PIP (crank) signal. If the light stays on during cranking, the computer is not receiving the PIP signal. Check Battery voltage, must be above 10.5 volts. Replace battery if not. Check battery connections, corrosion, ground faults, and wiring. Fix all wiring. Check alternator output, must be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts. Replace Alternator if not. Any recent voltage irregularities from electrical charging system can cause failures. Replace alternator and any damaged circuits, wiring, and components. Check fusible links on Starter Solenoid if equipped. Check fuses and surge protection diode in under hood Power Distribution Box. Replace any fuses, diodes, and links if needed. Check EEC relay, must show battery voltage when engaged. Replace relay and damaged wiring if not. Make sure pin 30 on the computer is hooked up correctly. Manual transmission computers need to sense SIG-RTN on pin 30 when in neutral. Automatic transmission computers need to sense Ground on pin 30 when in neutral. Electronicly controled automatic computers need an operational Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) Check aftermarket devices like alarm system connected to engine or computer components. Restore engine and computer system to original configuration. Check aftermarket computer chips and other plug in controls. Any chips or controls that impede basic engine and computer function need to be removed. Restore computer and harness to original configuration. Disconnect computer and inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires. Replace computer if visually damaged, repair any damaged pins in harness. Visually inspect the ENTIRE engine and computer wiring harness and connections for corrosion, ground faults, shorts, physical damage, and general condition. FIX ANY & ALL PROBLEMS! Check Self-Test Input circuit on Pin 48 at computer harness for shorts to ground. Replace faulty wiring. Remove check engine light bulb and check Self-Test Output circuit for shorts to ground. Replace faulty wiring. Check Engine Light for damage. Replace faulty light bulb. Measure resistance between battery negative post and pins 20, 40, and 60 at the computer harness. Resistance must be less than 5.0 ohms. Replace faulty wiring between computer and battery if not. Turn key to ON with engine OFF and computer removed. Measure voltage on pins 1, 37, and 57. Must be above 10.5 volts and within 1.0 volt of each other. Replace faulty wiring between computer and battery if not. Turn key ON with engine OFF and computer reinstalled. Measure voltage between Pin 26 and 46 (voltage reference and signal return) must be between 4.0-6.0 volts. Replace faulty wiring and sensors. Measure resistance between Pin 46 and Pins 40 and 60 at the computer harness, must be less than 5.0 ohms. If all the wiring and sensors check out, Replace the computer. Complete list of 2-Digit Self-Test Codes and their definitions. Complete list of 3-Digit Self-Test Codes and their definitions..."

miesk5 NOTE; Self-Test Input (STI) is the Pin in the Lt gray Connector and Signal Return Ground (STO/SIGRET) is Pin E in black Connector in 87-95; The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accesories/lights, etc. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first. Fix any codes from the KOEO test before you do the running test (KOER, key on, engine running). Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=44
I checked all ofthe fuses and they are all good. I did not see any fusable links since the wires from the diagnostic port and the fuse block go straight into the tightly wraped harness. I do not want to have to cut into the harness unless absolutly nessary. When I parked the Bronc 2 years ago due to tranny issues everything worked. Since replacing the tranny I have noticed the engine is idling a few RPM low which the alt does not produce enough current until the RPM is bumped up from stepping on the gas pedal slightly. I also notice when check the nessary items for State Inspection the left signal indicator in the dash is not working (the bulb is good)but the exterior does and the hazards only work in the front of the vehicle not the rear and they appear to be a little slow. Could this have something to do with the diag port also?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke