Cheap Lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckdriva

if it aint broke, fix it anyway!
Reaction score
I am about finished with the first stages of my bronco, however I am fixing to re-gear it and hopefully lock it up front and rear. Does anybody have any suggestions? :-B

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Might help to give a little more info. You can install a spool in the rear if it's a 9". Any kind of locker will affect your street driving, though. Best option up front is a limited slip instead of a locker, or an ARB air locker (pricey).

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
The cheap way is to weld it up (lincoln locker) or use a spool. The best locker I found is the Detroit. If you plan on pulling with this truck or do lots of street driving go limited slip. Up front I used a trac loc LS for years before my detroit. I do see more traction with the locker than the LS but the steering is much tougher to steer with a detroit. Go LS, OX locker, electric locker or air locker so you can engauge it when needed for steering.

OP
OP
T

truckdriva

Reaction score
sorry about the info mishap! 1987 Full Size, 351w, c6, Dana 44 TTC, Ford 8.8

6" rough country suspension, 3" body, 38.5/14.5/15 super swamper tsl/sx, rough country bushing kit

I work about 90 hrs a week for a local towing company, so that explains the low amount of posts and why I haven't gotten around to posting any pictures of my ride. You guys have helped me out alot just by answering other peoples questions and I appreciate the fact that support is just an E-mail away. I believe this was a special edition bronco or something because when I bought it, it had the factory suspension and was sitting on 33's, also has 3.54 gears and limited slip front and rear. Any comments or ideas? :eek:)

OP
OP
T

truckdriva

Reaction score
I haven't run it much, work to many hours. As I previosly stated, I'm finished with the first stages of my project, now comes the rest! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Reaction score
My advice would be to scrap the stock axles and swap in some 1-ton units if you plan to keep the 38's. By the time you re-gear to 4.88's and a new front carrier, plus spend the money to beef up the 8.8" and D44TTB components, you could save a bunch of headaches with a GM 14-bolt rear and D60. That's my plan, starting with the front axle. I just think the shafts, ujoints and whole design of the Dana44 twin i-beam front axle will not stand up even to my 35's. I'll try to get by with just a spool in the Ford 9" rear, then replace that when I break it. I feel like a stock Ford 8.8" axle is even weaker.Last bit of advice is to be patient and wait for a good deal on the parts. look at several axles before you buy one, and get an idea of what you want to pay for it. Again, I would not advise a locker up front, unless it's a selectable one like the ARB. And I've had my Bronco for 4 years, only halfway with the buildup to the ultimate machine I want it to be someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Dana 60 Rears are also a dime a dozen. Its the front D60 thats the spendy one. Most yards sell for $500-$1500 each. This is my next project on my 68 Bronco since I blow the F250 D44 shafts every other time I go wheeling with 38's.

The rear 9" seems OK for the large tires.

OP
OP
T

truckdriva

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I really don't plan on seriously wheeling this thing(rock climbing, ect.), I just don't like getting stuck in the mud getting back to my favorite fishing holes. You're right though, if I had known then what I know now, I would have went to the straight axles. I just purchased a 1979 1/2 ton F150 with aa 400bb, 4spd, np205 for $125.00 that I don't know what to do with yet. Thanks for all the help!

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Well for starters the NP435/NP205 combo is worth $500 easy if you want to sell some stuff.

I've even seen the adapter inbetween the 435 and 205 go for $400.

Each axle is worth $250-$500 depending on condition.

Sell any body panels and interior that are good and ditch the rest.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
That's good advice, either part it out to make a little $$$ for your Bronco or swap the parts over. Prolly better off parting out since it's 1/2-ton parts, except for the t-case. The Np205 is bulletproof.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula