Change Direction When Hit Bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

topdri

Reaction score
For some reason, when I hit bumps, the truck changes direction. I have a 1990 Bronco with a 302 and it is an automatic. It can be dangerous at times. I was told that a bad caster or camber could cause this. I noticed it mostly when I had the new tires put on it --- I had dunlop A/Ts installed in place of the knobbies. The knobbies could have masked the problem as they really don't stick to the road. When I hit a bump, it almost has some extra hop and it changes direction. Does or has anyone else experienced this? I have had this truck 2 years in august. I want to call a local shop on this issue to see what can be found --- but I wanted to see if you all experienced anything like this. Thanks, Todd

BRONCFOOT

Reaction score
For some reason, when I hit bumps, the truck changes direction. I have a 1990 Bronco with a 302 and it is an automatic. It can be dangerous at times. I was told that a bad caster or camber could cause this. I noticed it mostly when I had the new tires put on it --- I had dunlop A/Ts installed in place of the knobbies. The knobbies could have masked the problem as they really don't stick to the road. When I hit a bump, it almost has some extra hop and it changes direction. Does or has anyone else experienced this? I have had this truck 2 years in august. I want to call a local shop on this issue to see what can be found --- but I wanted to see if you all experienced anything like this. Thanks, Todd
1980 & newer won't have a track bar. Unbolt your shocks and check the compression and rebound,condition,as well as for any loose brkts,bolts,or steering parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I had a similar problem that my mechanic called, "slot car steering", because it moved like a slot car when steering. It was due to bad ball joints and camber but I believe he said that it could be caused by wear in other parts also. You can check your ball joints by jacking it up, grab the wheel and see if it will move in/out or up/down.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

topdri

Reaction score
That reminds me --- I had an issue with Just Tires where they melted a left ball joint and replaced it during an alignment (they covered the cost) - don't ask. I won't be going back there at all. Could a new ball joint on one side and an old ball joint on the other - cause the issue of slot car racing? It seemed to drive fine until this happened several months ago. Maybe the Camber is off - who knows. I will let the professionals find out if that is the case. I am driving a 1990 Bronco btw. Anymore insight into this issue would be great.

Thanks,

Todd

ocalabronco

Reaction score
check your rod ends too. loose tie rod ends would cause wander when hitting bumps, allowing the tires to go one way or another. start out at the simple, easy to replace things and check from there

mdtodd

Reaction score
I have the same Bronco and the same problem.

I think it is my shocks... they're lousy!

I am going to replace them next week and will let you know if that fixes things.

Adios!

404PageNotFound

Reaction score
I have the same Bronco and the same problem.

I think it is my shocks... they're lousy!

I am going to replace them next week and will let you know if that fixes things.

Adios!
it's shocks/springs

or the wheel joints. I've had one that's frozen/bad for a while and it's been causing a nasty pull problem.

KJEfting

Reaction score
BALL JOINTS! If your truck has more than 100k on it, there's a very good chance they'll need to be replaced. When I bought my bronco, it skipped all over the road. I replaced the ball joints, got a good alignment, greased the **** out of ever zerk fitting on the vehicle, put new tires on it and it drove like a brand new car.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo