remote start and alarm keeping truck from starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I have a '90 Eddie Bauer with a remote start and alarm. Did they come with them from the factory? OR is it an aftermarket?

I have an EVTM but it makes no mention of it.

The battery is old, but over 12 volts.

My NSS, or Shift lever position sensor is on its way out, in that 20% of the times, I have to hold the shift lever higher into Park for the engine to crank. My Haynes manual isn't too clear about the transmission Range sensor for the E4OD, other than to say that the linkage may be worn and loose.

This morning, I used the remote starter and it started up. When I went to leave, I forgot to put the key in the ignition and the alarm went off. I eventually pulled the battery cable, because I couldn't get the alarm to shut off. My son said that the remote battery was going dead, and needed to be replaced. So I replaced the battery, but it still does not allow me to

1. start the truck

2. turn off the alarm.

DO I have to reprogram the remote?

IF so... how do I do that?

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Well, My son just came home and told me that it was not a factory install, but after market.

How are these things usually/generally wired in that they flash the headlights, and are triggered with I guess any electrical draw?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

Who is the mfgr of the alarm and remote start?

I have some on-line installation manual Links

'll be here for awhile

in meantime look at remore/etc for alram mfgr name and model #

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
one tip from BULLDOG on an ALARM that is SOUNDING - HEADLIGHTS FLASHING & UNIT IS CLCIKING ON & OFF

if you have a 4 BUTTON REMOTE CONTROL:

You will need to take the unit out of safety mode, to do this you will

need to ground the hood pin switch wire, then put your foot on the brake,

next hit any button on the remote and the clicking will stop. Then you will

need to take the hood pin switch wire off of ground and take your foot off

of the brake and see if the remote will work with the unit

if you have a 2 BUTTON REMOTE CONTROL:

You will need to take the unit out of safety mode, to do this you will

need to put your foot on the brake, next hit any button on the remote and

the clicking will stop. Then you will need to take your foot off of the

brake and see if the remote will work with the unit

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Most alarms interrupt ign START - (called an IMMOBILIZER)

ALARMS are Triggered by:

CURRENT draw - usually a pin switch in driver's door or a domelight, etc.

Shock Sensor - high winds trigger this sensor too

Dual Stage Shock Sensor - capactive reactance type - senses objects TOO close to vehicle

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Miesk5,

Thanks SOooooooooooo much, you have always been there for me, and you have always been so helpful!

Well to say the least, 12-20 degrees with wind chill, in the snow, and at the end of the driveway, blocking my other car, I had to get this thing fixed. Looking over diagrams, not knowing the manufacturer etc. I was looking forward to ten hours of troubleshooting. Got out an old heavy quilt to to make my lying on my back, under the dash as comfortable as possible, brought in a hair dryer for heat, and a flourescent light, a cup of tea, and I was ready to go.

Boy there is a mess of wires under that dash. A lot of non-factory connectors, and disconnected wires. Oh boy... this is going to be fun.

Well, once again the Force was with me.

The battery to the remote was dead. I replaced it with a dead out of the package new one. Fortunately, I decided to test it, and the remote worked and turned off the alarm. The starter still wouldn't crank.

Thank God it didn't take long to notice that my fender mounted starter relay was loose. Edit: (I assume that it is grounded through the backing plate to the fender and that was my problem) (end edit) I drilled a new hole, and attached it with a sheet metal *****. That should hold until summer. I threw a wire with alligator clamps at both ends in the console should I need it, but she started right up, and three short trips since and she is still starting first time as she should.

I gotta say that hanging here with you guys has taught me a LOT, and reminded me of the little I once knew. I was lucky this time... say a prayer that my luck holds out! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

May the Force be with you... always!

May you all have a Blessed Holiday season.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

Glad you got it running!

Someday, look for the Unit under da dash and see who the mfgr is + model @#

Know you will get to it and clean up that mess in better weather.

Have a great time this week!

Boomballs

Reaction score
I have a '90 Eddie Bauer with a remote start and alarm. Did they come with them from the factory? OR is it an aftermarket?I have an EVTM but it makes no mention of it.

The battery is old, but over 12 volts.

My NSS, or Shift lever position sensor is on its way out, in that 20% of the times, I have to hold the shift lever higher into Park for the engine to crank. My Haynes manual isn't too clear about the transmission Range sensor for the E4OD, other than to say that the linkage may be worn and loose.

This morning, I used the remote starter and it started up. When I went to leave, I forgot to put the key in the ignition and the alarm went off. I eventually pulled the battery cable, because I couldn't get the alarm to shut off. My son said that the remote battery was going dead, and needed to be replaced. So I replaced the battery, but it still does not allow me to

1. start the truck

2. turn off the alarm.

DO I have to reprogram the remote?

IF so... how do I do that?
I had an aftermarket Pursuit alarm installed on my 89 and I think yours is also probably not stock. Mine has an ignition **** and maybe thats been ingaged?

Boomballs

Reaction score
Most alarms interrupt ign START - (called an IMMOBILIZER)
ALARMS are Triggered by:

CURRENT draw - usually a pin switch in driver's door or a domelight, etc.

Shock Sensor - high winds trigger this sensor too

Dual Stage Shock Sensor - capactive reactance type - senses objects TOO close to vehicle
Mines set to super sensitive, havent had time to change, so just my brothers 67 Mustang roaring by driveway sets off alert beeps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK