cap repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray_Bronco

Reaction score
I was looking for some advise on how to repaint/repair my 96 hard top/cap. it has a few chips in it so i believe i can repair w/ some bondo.. what my main question is should i sand it all down smooth, add some texture spray to it like Lizard skin or truck bed liner... I am looking at repainting it to a gray color it is originally a brown (eddie bauer) edition

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on end result you want, what texture.

Just a repaint and small area repairs I just use a scotch brite pad and scuff the top before painting.

Seen some smooth tops that look really nice.

Hate to think how many tops I have thrown away that were just given to me. I would imagine if you wanted to play with one there are some free ones around if you keep your eyes open.

OP
OP
Ray_Bronco

Ray_Bronco

Reaction score

MVCCC

Reaction score
All the suggestions above seem decent. I'll offer what seems to be working well for me, as I'm in the process now. I did a power wash and a good scrub before all this to remove anything that wasn't really attached.
I've used Pettit brand one part marine top-coat EZ-Poxy Topside. One quart is enough for the whole cap and costs around $60. This is a high quality top coat that is worth the price. Check online, but West Marine is a supplier. There is a Flattener additive available and I'm ordering that for my final coat. To repair any scratches/holes to the cap, use an epoxy and that way it isn't moisture absorbing. Thicker two part epoxy sticks work great and are cheap at the auto parts store. You can dab them before they set up completely to add texture.
Before painting knock down the whole thing with emery clothe (scotchbrite) to maintain the texture, but prep the surface for adhesion. Wipe with microfiber or tack cloth. I used a roller but you can spray as well. One coat - and follow the instructions- it goes on different than paint. Don't go heavy or it will run. After the first coat cures ~24hours, you can scuff the surface again with emery cloth and add a second coat. Below are pictures after the first coat, no flattener.
The color is lighter than advertised so look for a brochure with color swatches.
The last image is water beading on the top. The coverage is good, this top had glass showing the paint was so thin.
20220212_175525.jpg
20220211_211309.jpg20220214_123316.jpg

OP
OP
Ray_Bronco

Ray_Bronco

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed information. Currently the cap is brown and looking at doing a complete color change. I want to go w a gray paint color but not sure tint. The rest of the body will be white and gray. It's an Eddie Bauer edition do all the brown is changing to gray. At this point can't decide what type of gray to use. Thank you again for the advice.
what is a "flattener" does it help w/ the paint laying down better or better adhesion

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23