c6-np208 restriction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiller83

Reaction score
83 bronco,351w-c6-np208,feels like the engine power is not getting to the wheels on road, mostly when the system is cold or not registering at the dash yet.the c6 was rebuilt some years ago but I soon swapped to a t18 and the c6 sat up,but the 208 has been kicking the entire time.the 351 was replaced at the same time the c6 was rebuilt,it's a mexican block.I put the c6 in with a 302 and an np205 in an 86 bronco I got with no drive train,it worked fine,even with c72 (35 inch) tires and 3.55 gears.the c6 is now back inbetween the 351 and the np208.I was told by an older autozoner that there is a bushing in the 208 that fails and causes restriction,power loss.I still have the 205 but I'd have to change and modify my crossmember,among other things,to use it.So I need to know if I should rebuild the 208,go with the 205,or am I running blind in a mine field.?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level? I had a similar problem and found that the level was down, filled it and the problem went away. My mechanic told me that another possibility was a sticking valve or the shift modulator. As it finally turned out, the low fluid was caused by a bad diaphragm in the modulator. He pulled the vacuum line off the modulator and trany fluid came out of the line, definite proof the diaphragm was bad. Replaced the modulator and problem was permanently resolved. It is an inexpensive part to replace and only takes about 5 minutes. Another symptom of the problem was chugging and smoking when first starting the engine which would go away after burning off the trany fluid that got into the intake while setting without the engine running.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
T

tiller83

Reaction score
Seabronc...yes the fluid level is correct,the modulator is working fine,it moves at idle and holds in drive on @ 30 deg. hill... I have a comp.cams 4x4 cam, eddlebrock intake and holley 670.just changed from full msd ign. to '86 stock ign. and msd coil. runs smoother now but power is @ same....planning to convert to fuel injection and purchase an aod monster trans. I run on 35" hankook dynapro mt(32" measured) and 4.56 gears. I have more gear than tire so my rpm's get high quick and there's no lagg in the transmission. everything on this truck has been replaced or rebuilt eccept the transfer case and the frame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23