c-6 tranny question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foul Al

Reaction score
Hey folks, I was driving the other day and noticed that my tranny sounds like its chattering when its about to shift. it typically does this when i'm getting on it. I have checked the fluid and its full and not burnt and the mounts and lines are secure. I thought about my Bronco build for a while and the only thing I came up with is the tranny I swapped into it was a 2wd tranny that I had the center shaft and the deeper pan swapped to it for 4wd. under "tender" driving conditions it shifts perfectly fine.

My build is as follows...

76' "j" code 460 freshly rebuilt with edelbrock intake and 650 cfm carb with l&l headers

2wd c-6 tranny freshly rebuilt with shift kit and the center shaft and deep pan swapped for 4wd application, additional trans cooler in the system

np 205 transfer

9" rear with 3:50 gears

all new u joints

35'' tires on 15'' wheels

my theory is that the 2wd trans is laboring with the smaller rear or its not sturdy enough for a 4wd application.

I'm not verry familiar with the internals of a tranny so any help or suggestions are always helpful.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Does it shudder 1-2, 2-3 and in reverse?

Some WAGs

the wrong fluid; or simply worn out fluid is the only problem

Vacuum Modulator Troubleshooting; You have a modulator on the rear of the transmission on the C6. Check line/hose for vac leak

Breakdown of the transmission fluid can cause "converter shudder" (cruising over rumble strips)- torque converter tries to maintain a steady slip rate during lock-up, but alternates between slipping & grabbing; causes the engine to flare up and then down again as the clutch cannot hold back the power of the engine.

Frequent fluid change, especially when used for towing,is single best method to prevent shudder.

shudder when the shift occurs, but not on acceleration; Usually on internal problem such as a cut lip seal, o-ring, seal, or a checkball hanging, leaking, and in some cases missing

If pan is clean, suspect valve body

Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature

Source: by raceabilene.com http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/images/trans/c6exp.gif

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
yo

Does it shudder 1-2, 2-3 and in reverse?

Some WAGs

the wrong fluid; or simply worn out fluid is the only problem

Vacuum Modulator Troubleshooting; You have a modulator on the rear of the transmission on the C6. Check line/hose for vac leak

Breakdown of the transmission fluid can cause "converter shudder" (cruising over rumble strips)- torque converter tries to maintain a steady slip rate during lock-up, but alternates between slipping & grabbing; causes the engine to flare up and then down again as the clutch cannot hold back the power of the engine.

Frequent fluid change, especially when used for towing,is single best method to prevent shudder.

shudder when the shift occurs, but not on acceleration; Usually on internal problem such as a cut lip seal, o-ring, seal, or a checkball hanging, leaking, and in some cases missing

If pan is clean, suspect valve body

Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature

Source: by raceabilene.com http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/images/trans/c6exp.gif
Thanks for the info.!

I dont think its the fluid as I have changed the fluid 2 times, completely, in the last year and have only put +-7,000 miles on it.

in any event I am about to do it again as I cannot seem to keep the pan from leaking a little... dammit!

the 2 times that i have had the pan off it was soooo clean with just a trace of a dusting of material on the magnet and the fluid wasnt burnt.

I do let the truck sit for up to a few months at a time between driving. I will look at the hoses coming from the rear and replace as necessary.

as for the shudder, it shudders 1-2, 2-3 and nothing at all in reverse. It only does it when its warmed up and I'm on the gas pretty good.

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.!

I dont think its the fluid as I have changed the fluid 2 times, completely, in the last year and have only put +-7,000 miles on it.

in any event I am about to do it again as I cannot seem to keep the pan from leaking a little... dammit!

the 2 times that i have had the pan off it was soooo clean with just a trace of a dusting of material on the magnet and the fluid wasnt burnt.

I do let the truck sit for up to a few months at a time between driving. I will look at the hoses coming from the rear and replace as necessary.

as for the shudder, it shudders 1-2, 2-3 and nothing at all in reverse. It only does it when its warmed up and I'm on the gas pretty good.
Hey,

I finally got to look at the bronco and I didnt find anything at all..? no worn hoses and no burnt fluid. ***?

I did notice that while driving up a decent hill at about 50 mph. I got on the gas heavy and there sounded lie a tick-tick? not consistently but every few seconds. almost sounds like an electric arc would sound with low voltage or a key tapping on the dash that is hanging from the ignition. i dunno...please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23