Bronco project Mechanical Issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GrandpaKenof15

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
Well I finally get time to work on this beast and I think I am going to rethink the egr removal. I have never seen so much crap crammed to where things are confusing. Not to mention where the smog pump is and everything I got to remove just to get to it. I am just going to block it off an plug the hole in the intake. the pipe between the two was broke into in the middle of all places, and choking out another $100 for a piece of pipe well just aint gonna happen. So hopefully after all I am fixing to do for the next couple days of my vacation is modify what I can and clean fuel injectors. I might pull intake but just might wait till I can park it for a complete top end. Happy 4th.

OP
OP
GrandpaKenof15

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
Well, I decided to get rid of that egr crap. Didn't have to pull intake cause really no buildup of sludge no where. I got the fuel injectors soaking waiting on the rebuild kits to come in.

Now to get the plumbing capped off and the pump off today. I will try to go over the injector build with pics this time. I do have an extra lifter to take apart to show how to clean them.

got a lot of work ahead of me today. Will update soon on progress.

OP
OP
GrandpaKenof15

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
Well I got it all back together, and runs great. still has that up and down idle till it warms up but doesn't stall when I put it in drive. It is slow to take off and jerks when it catches up. will take it out for test run tonite after work. The belt was the main issue. takes a 990K6 with air pump. with a lot of back and forth to autozone it came to a 918K6 with out the air pump but had to change the idler pulley from a 76mm to a 90mm az part number 231081. I did rebuild the injectors and did take some pictures and will do a separate thread for them. I hope it helps others.

OP
OP
GrandpaKenof15

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
Test run went okay. Got to autozone and battery died. good thing I work there. It run like a beast but tranny has some issues. feels like it is low on fluid but dip stick says it is over full. Dipstick also don't look like it belongs on this truck. have to get a step stool to reach it. I think some dummy put one from a car in it. Well It need shocks and brakes, and figure the tranny issues out. I will try to post the injector build by this weekend.

OP
OP
GrandpaKenof15

GrandpaKenof15

Reaction score
OOOOOH yeah, I forgot no A/C either. I'll have to do the 134a conversion. Just need to find a good vacuum pump to borrow. Got to pull it down to find out if there is a leak. pretty sure there aint no R12 in it. That has always been a fun job as well. YeeHa, the fun continues

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

When I could get to the 96same E4OD dipstick I tip toed to reach the yellow finger pull.

plugs3.jpg

from tip (rounded end of stick to inside of "finger pull" (where tube top end would seat) is 36 3/4"

96 E4OD dipstick Finger Pull with Tape inside Pull

96 E4OD dipstick engine end (rounded end).jpg

96 E4OD dipstick Finger Pull with Tape inside Pull.jpg

Attachments

• 96 E4OD dipstick engine end (rounded end).jpg
    96 E4OD dipstick engine end (rounded end).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 96 E4OD dipstick Finger Pull with Tape inside Pull.jpg
    96 E4OD dipstick Finger Pull with Tape inside Pull.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Grandpa,

I followed through this whole thread, and can relate to the idle problem.  It was a problem for a couple years actually, and no mechanic I took it to could identify the problem.  Of course, I was not a member of this forum at that time, and did not have the excellent troubleshooting listed above by moderator.

My idle problem would only occur after the engine was heated up, and I had stopped for a few minutes at a store, for example.  When I would get back in, and stop at the first stop light, the engine would start to idle down, then back up, then idle down further, then back up.  Eventually it would just stall if I did not rev it during that traffic stop.  Then after driving it a few miles the problem would go away before the next traffic light or two.  Bugged me for years.

You mention in one posting above that you are averse to replacing the fuel injection with a carb.  Why not?  You dont need to pass emissions.  My truck is now over 25 years old in Texas and Neither do I now.  I finally got fed up with all of it, and stripped out everything.  Installing an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold with a Holley 600 on top.  Scrapped the computer and bought a transmission controller to keep the E40D tranny operating without the computer.  AS I told the moderator yesterday, I will post pics and results this week as the conversion completes, and how it tests out.  At this moment the manifold is installed, and carb is in place.  And the engine compartment now has room in it.  I never laughed so hard as I ripped out all that emissions junk...  Revenge of 20+ years driving it with emission controls is mine now!  And the best thing about going with a carb?  EMP-Proof truck (with the small exception of an inexpensive tranny controller, that I can buy a backup of, and throw in the truck bag).

I cannot work on an EFI system, and it has cost me thousands in repairs over the years.  But I do know a simple Carb.  And as one member said:  "Just let me know when John Force goes EFI".  Well Said.

Best Regards,

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23