..Bronco or me..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surveyor

Reaction score
Fellow Bronco owners, I come before you a man seeking knowledge & wisdom. My predicament is one of good fortune. Yet it brings up a simple question with a million answers.

SitRep.

Recently picked up a 1990 Bronco, Custom, with a 4.9 matted to a 5-speed manual. Interior, Spartan & bedraggled complete replace. Body, straight gray primer. Top, rattle can black. Rolling chassis sound, single shock up front. Engine & Trans, rock solid. Price, if it were a meal it would be a Happy Meal.

Also have a

Seabronc

Reaction score
Seems pretty obvious to me, you gotta let let one go. If you can't do it yourself, having a shop swap the engines would not be worth the effort. You probably would be giving them the $1000.00.

Good luck,

:)>-

scaryaaron

Reaction score
I think if it were me, I would try to make the 90 as pretty as possible and sell it. Use the money from the sale of it to fix the engine and trans in the 88. As I recall the Eddie Bauer editions have some nice extras like limited slip rear diffs and stuff.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
i'd go with keeping the '90. That 300 has nearly as much torque as the 302, and gets better MPG to boot. Plus, I like the 5 speed manual over a 3 spd auto. Doing a dual front shock setup on the '90 isn't that hard, if you really want it.

I'd say, swap the interior, maybe the front shock setup, and pretty up the exterior of the'90. After you salvaged out the interior of the '88, then dump it. Or, part it out for pieces.

Croneybones

Reaction score
How's that song go? "I'm sure gonna miss her..."

Seriously, though, grab what little parts or amenities off the old one, even some parts you can resell, get the thousand for it, and throw a lift kit on the newer one. With the cash from the resell parts, take mama out to dinner.

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
It's the classical if momma aint happy then aint nobody happy....I feel for ya brother i've been married now 23yrs so i can say been there done that...Me i'm like croneybones swap out as much of the best parts and any that might turn acouple bucks and scrap the 88...Put the money from that into the 90 as in lift or new wheels and tires...Give momma alittle to spend on herself and be surprised at how agreeable she will be with what ever you want to do to the 90.....Good luck dude and may the force be with you...LOL..... B)

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Reaction score
Morning y'all, had some vaca time to sort things out. Went to the happiest place on earth...my in-laws? Helps that they live in Hawaii. You nailed it 'horse' classic case. Just glad is works both way...sometimes. Decided to keep the 90 and ravage the 88. 'Scary' you gave me cause for pause. If EB's do have extras I need to identify them and swap 'em out. Any info in this area is welcome. Short of the engine & trans I can swap anything out. Space may be limited but not ability. Gonna take picts as I go along. Maybe post a inferior interior swap write up later.

Sidescrollin

Reaction score
Sell the 88 to someone for 1000 who wants it, who will restore it, and drive it.

selling it to "california" means ,"would you shove your bronco off a cliff into the ocean for a grand, or sell it to this nice gentlemen?"

Selling to california means destroying it.

scaryaaron

Reaction score
Morning y'all, had some vaca time to sort things out. Went to the happiest place on earth...my in-laws? Helps that they live in Hawaii. You nailed it 'horse' classic case. Just glad is works both way...sometimes. Decided to keep the 90 and ravage the 88. 'Scary' you gave me cause for pause. If EB's do have extras I need to identify them and swap 'em out. Any info in this area is welcome. Short of the engine & trans I can swap anything out. Space may be limited but not ability. Gonna take picts as I go along. Maybe post a inferior interior swap write up later.

Not totally sure about your 88, but I had an 89 eddie bauer edition and I recall s few minor differences. The owners manual for my 95 gives two sets of dimensions. One for xl's and xlt's and one for eddie bauers. It seems the eddie bauers have a slightly wider track width per the owners manual. Not sure why or what parts give it that. Also, the owners manual says that all eddie bauers have limited slip rear diffs. You can verify by the axle tag or jam plate and look at the thread on this site to confirm.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Reaction score
Scaryaaron, you sir are correct. The EB has a limited slip axle. Axle code on the '90 is 19 where the EB has H9. Gear ratios are the same 3.55, the width thing is interesting. So I've added it to the swap list. Gotten pretty long.

Started to second guess myself on the course of action I've taken. But last night as I laid down the carpets into the '90, it was obvious this is the right way to go. As you all well know, working on our vehicles make them OUR vehicles. The long hours, blood, sweat and tears of joy & anguish are worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948