Bronco 2 4wd Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbyd

Reaction score
i'm new to this site and i'm not having much luck anywhere else. i'm looking for information on how to switch my bronco 2 2wd to 4wd. has anyone tried this before or is it even possible?

OP
OP
B

bobbyd

Reaction score
i'm looking for information on how to change my 2wd bronco 2 to 4wd. has anyone ever done this or is it even possible? any help is appreciated.

7.3crawler

Reaction score
It is possible, however unless you have a really niceB-2 it would be wiser to just buy one that is already a 4x4. You will need the complete TTB front axle assembly, a front driveline, and a 4x4 transmission w/transfer case/shift linkage. You will also have to modify the front crossmember to attach the TTB assembly. If you are dead set on converting yours, I would do something trick like putting '80-'85 Toyota 4x4 pickup front and rear solid axles in it. This would be even more work but at least you would have something custom when you were done. Dan. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
a donor truck would probably be the best bet.

I know I see bII's all the time for almost nothing(bad motor or trans)

junk yards sometimes sell the whole vehicle cheap.

I'm pretty sure the frames are alittle differant.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
why would he want to put toy axles in a real truck?if you are gonna go thru the hassle of axles go with a 44 and a 9 inch parts are everywhere and reasonable.

toy axles I can't believe that even was wrote on this site.shame on you import lover shame i say

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Boy, getting pissy about toyota axles under a ford... You'd about shoot yourself if I said I'd considered dropping a caddy 500 in my Bronco

Swapping to 4wd is possible, but it's as 7.3 stated, it might be more work that it's worth... unless you feel spending an insane amount of money, spending many late nights, and wrapping up several bloody knuckles

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello All yes this is very possible and easier than you all think . Ford didnt change the frames for 2wd to 4wd like that nasty c word did . 80 to 96 1/2 tons and 83 to 96 bronco 2 and rangers . The 3/4 ton is a little different because the 2wd is setting on coils and the 4wd is on leafs . You do not have to modify the crossmember as the brackets that held the 2wd I beam in place have the same bolt pattern as the 4wd brackets so they bolt right on then everything mounts right in place. You do need a 4wd transmission and a transfercase but when you pull up the carpet or floor mat youll see a big stamped steel plate that unbolts and the one from a 4x4 will bolt right back in place so everything looks right . On the 1/2 ton trucks the rear springs are 2 1/2 wide where the 4x4 is 3 inches wide . Bronco 2 and ranger there the same . The easiest way to do it is to have a donor truck that you can pull everything out of . One thing to remember is that its your project and if you want to do it have at it look for input but let the sarcasm and the that will never work go by because if you have any fabrication skills and good equipment anything is possible to be made and made safely . I converted a 1/2 ton ford F150 from 2wd to 4 wd as my very first project so I know from experience how easy it was . If you have any questions feel free to email me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sorny

Reaction score
My friend took a late 80's 2wd Ranger with the 4 cylender in it and turned it into a 4x4. All he did was use a Bronco 2 For parts, im not to sure what he all did. But turst me IF HE CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN! cause this guy is by far not the sharpest tool in the shed. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
i was giving you a hard time about the toy axles but why anyway?buy a toy instead,as for the frames they are not the same i have put many small blocks in rangers and bII's and the 4x4 is diff.it is reienforced for the 4x4 and to tell you the truth the frame needs to boxed if you are gonna do anywheeling besides a corn field either way you do it you need a donor,good luck

as for david the di#$ why would you want to put a caddy motor in a ford?that's just stupid.

walterm

Reaction score
I built a 86 B2 4x4, it's not hard at all. It's just time consuming. I didn't need to fabricate anything. I used a doner truck which was a 84 B2 4x4 w/ a 2.8 V-6 and a 5 speed. my truck is a 86 B2 4x4 w/ a 2.9 V-6 and a automatic. I kept my engine but used the manual trans, transfer case, front and rear axles w/ lockers and 4.10 gears. ford said it would never work! well, I've got the pics to show it digging in a creak throwing mud 30 feet in the air. now ford is offering me a job. if anyone wants to see my pics, just ask and give me some where to e-mail them too.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
this is a old post an i was giving them a hard time there is nothing wrong with bII's but whippy do about one in a creek,we can all tell you stories about our trucks and ones we've seen.

just triing to tell the fella that he had some options if he was gonna convert.

and as a person who has has numerous rangers and bII's i think they are not that good of truck for wheeling in stock form.

walterm

Reaction score
my only point to that was my truck didn't work, motor shot, tranny fried, t-case shattered, front axle third member ground to ****. and body rolled. ford said it would never work with the year b2 I was using for parts. I did it anyway. for about $600 and 2 weeks, I can go anywhere I wish. no fab work needed. if anyone wants to build something, just do it. I'm proud of my little truck. it's pulled many full size 4x4's out of the mud. I live in louisiana, we play in the swamps, now I'm running 31x12.50R15 TSL Boggers, dual lockers, and a 4.0L, and a air bag suspension giving me 0-6inches of lift depending on my mood. I go where most B2's can only watch me play. that picture I put on here was the day I finished the powertrain and some body work. I've been offered upwards of 5k for it. so naa!!!

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
well good for you i'm glad you wasted your money on something with 31's i'd like to see you pull my 7200lb truck with just the brakes on much less stuck,I'm glad you built a truck with 6" of lift and 31's on it maybe when it grows up and it can come play with the big boys.

wait now you'll tell me about how you go anywhere anyone with 33's or 35's go right?save it already heard it,then I hooked the strap to them and yanked on thru

yeah I'll give it to you lockers and gears do alot but ground clearance is ground clearance

I don't mean any are bad but stock they ain't sh*t,good luck with yours,I'm going down south this summer maybe you can show me how good those 31's are

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
did you change your motor from the 2.9 you talked about earlier in the post?did you get a job at ford yet?good money I used to work for a dealer along time ago.

what flywheel did you use with the 2.9?did you have to change the harness too?was there any diff in clutches?

walterm

Reaction score
First off, what is your malfunction? When did this become a ******* contest? I've never claimed to have the biggist nor the baddist truck. you and your 7200 pound truck are the best, is that what you wanted to hear? feel better now? as far as your questions, I'm using a hays aluminum flywheel, centerforce dual friction clutch, and yes I have a 4.0. I had to change the wiring harness and computer. was it worth it? to me it was. I am only running 31's on it, but I have 35x15.50R15's on 15x12 rims that I use when I go extreme enough to warrent it. now then, the day your 7200lb heavy weight can go where my 3500lb feather weight goes, we'll talk. till then, bite my ass!!

walterm

Reaction score
one more thing, I refuse to work for ford, I hate ford with a passion. my bronco was my uncles, he gave it to me just before passing away. aside from that, ford sucks. I race a chevy. sorry, my feelings, don't like 'em quit reading.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK