broken door handle...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaindrive

Reaction score
the plastic inside door handle (driver's side) on my '96 bronco broke off the other day.

usually this is no big deal to fix.

HOWEVER, the last time whoever changed out the last broken one, stripped the threads on the ***** that holds the handle on.

i found another ***** at the hardware store (local ford dealer can't find one on the computer) and wonder i can use it to run new threads, or should i take it to a shop to have them run a tap through the female threads.

i was told that the assembly that receives the ***** may need to be replaced if the job is hosed up.

how expensive would this be?

BTW: found metal door handles on e-bay so hopefully this won't happen again.

thanks.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo chaindrive,

I'd use a thread chaser to try & clean threads up for the new same size *****; if no-go; and there is enough material where scew fastens,  tap  the hole out w/larger thread size.  I don't know if a heli-coil insert will work, but may be feasible.

Unfortunately Ford supplies Little Iinfo on the handle & ***** to us and dealers; this is from

1996 Bronco/F-Series
Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj1ea17.htm
Section 01-14A: Handles, Locks, Latches and Mechanisms
 Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Handle, Inside Door, Front and Rear

Removal

1. Remove one ***** and remove inside door handle (22600).
Installation

1. Position inside door handle on front door latch remote control and link (21818) and secure with *****.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LUBRICANT SPECIFICATIONS Description Part Name Ford Part Number Ford Specification Door Latches Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or -K ESA-M1C75-B Hinges, Hinge Checks and Pivots Multi-Purpose Grease Spray D7AZ-19584-AA ESR-M1C159-A Lock Cylinders Penetrating Lubricant E8AZ-19A501-B —

OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
chasing the threads with a 6mm tap worked like a champ.

new ***** had a 10mm head compared to the original 8mm but there were no clearance problem, went right back in.

the replacement metal door handle is a Dorman part.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23