Too Many Creaks and Broken Plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WABronc

Reaction score
'94 Bronco, 5.8L, Eddie Bauer trim.

So just a general issue all the plastic in this truck is super creaky. Specifically the doors have a bunch of tabs for the window seals missing, along with a bunch of cracks and things. Dash creaks a lot too, sounds like plastic rubbing against plastic somewhere. I've already fixed the broken dash bracket on the right hand side which is apparently very common, it seems sturdy enough but the little travel it still has creates a lot of noise.

Has anyone else had any luck quieting down all the creaks? I'm considering buying or trying to find new door panels at a junkyard but I'd like to get them in the same Eddie Bauer trim I already have. It would at least help with the fact that my doors are essentially ruined, but the dash really doesn't need replacing.

For everything else, is there something I could put between the pieces that I find are rubbing? Some sort of foam or tape or anything y'all recommend? Also, if y'all have any recommendations for fixing broken plastic parts I haven't found any glue or anything strong enough so far so any tips there would be appreciated as well.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the part the only luck I have had is finding a used that wasn't broken.

Things like door panels, do they have all the clips?

When it comes to the dash are there any loose bolts? Find that a lot.

I have put sound deadener under door panels which quiets down a lot of squeaks and rattles in the doors but it moves the door panel closer to the dash, so gain one thing and lose another spot.

OP
OP
W

WABronc

Reaction score
The door panels are missing numerous clips. In some cases screws had been tightened so far that the plastic gave up and the ***** went through the door, so I can't even ***** them in at all in some spots.

I'll check for loose bolts. I'm going to try putting some adhesive foam between the door and plastic bits but that's a good point I don't want the door to touch the dash when closed.

Where have you seen used interior parts for sale?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I just watch CL and Marketplace for guys doing part outs and go look if they are close by. We also have a couple pick and pull yards. These older trucks are harder to come by in the yards but they do pop up.
Another one, guy I work with has a connection with an old school scrap yard. They have it, they won't pull it, if I talk just right they will let me in.

Interior pieces go fast but the harder stuff like the dash framework a lot of guys are not will to take on that project.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
The door panels are missing numerous clips. In some cases screws had been tightened so far that the plastic gave up and the ***** went through the door, so I can't even ***** them in at all in some spots.

I'll check for loose bolts. I'm going to try putting some adhesive foam between the door and plastic bits but that's a good point I don't want the door to touch the dash when closed.

Rock auto (believe it or not) has what appears to be door panels in their listing. Not sure of the fit or quality, but it may be an option.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Theirs a guy on hear--I think its--bronco parts garage and he,s on YOUTUBE and lives in Michigan that parts out broncos and sales parts--I look for him and come back

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Theirs a guy on hear--I think its--bronco parts garage and he,s on YOUTUBE and lives in Michigan that parts out broncos and sales parts--I look for him and come back
Hear it is--BRONCOANDPARTS GARAGE---FROM MICHIGAN---and they guy has alot of videos out and you youtube. He,s really good tood. Check him out and he does sales parts and parts out all different years of bronco.So drop him a line---Good luck

willdy

Reaction score
I used the furry side of self adhesive velcro on the backside of my door panels at contact points that ended all the creaks. Also just get new plastic clips for the door panels. I found some that had a larger head that covered all the previous decades of damage. They don't look bad at all. To spruce up the panels finish, I went to an auto paint store & had them color match plastic paint into spray cans. They were $20 a can and I got enough to hit the kick panels & visors. Also had a crack on the dash that I patched with epoxy and sprayed that as well. I also used a product call Bulldog adhesion promoter for the 1st coat on all the plastics. That was in 2014 and it's held up perfectly to Los Angeles heat with no peeling or cracking. You can make it all match & look new.

aidan3rd

Reaction score
'94 Bronco, 5.8L, Eddie Bauer trim.

So just a general issue all the plastic in this truck is super creaky. Specifically the doors have a bunch of tabs for the window seals missing, along with a bunch of cracks and things. Dash creaks a lot too, sounds like plastic rubbing against plastic somewhere. I've already fixed the broken dash bracket on the right hand side which is apparently very common, it seems sturdy enough but the little travel it still has creates a lot of noise.

Has anyone else had any luck quieting down all the creaks? I'm considering buying or trying to find new door panels at a junkyard but I'd like to get them in the same Eddie Bauer trim I already have. It would at least help with the fact that my doors are essentially ruined, but the dash really doesn't need replacing.

For everything else, is there something I could put between the pieces that I find are rubbing? Some sort of foam or tape or anything y'all recommend? Also, if y'all have any recommendations for fixing broken plastic parts I haven't found any glue or anything strong enough so far so any tips there would be appreciated as well.
For broken plastic parts I used JB WaterWeld, it’s like play-doh and once you smash it together it activates and will harden and works great! https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-827...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207589944554&psc=1

OP
OP
W

WABronc

Reaction score
Took a lot of advice from this thread and elsewhere on the bronco parts and garage page, used the JB water weld to fix all the broken plastic "rivets" (spots where the door panels were melted together for assembly) I also pop-riveted the window felts to the top of the door panels because the plastic tabs on that were broken. Got some adhesive foam insulation and went around the door panel where it was rubbing the metal (could visibly see a lot of paint rubbed off) and that helped too. After all the various fixes, took all day to do both doors, it's MUCH quieter. Now in the process of replacing the rubber seals around the doors.

Thanks for all the advice!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Also try Green Sales in Ohio. Some parts that are hidden and junk to begin with. Pays to make the part from better material.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Depending on the part the only luck I have had is finding a used that wasn't broken.

Things like door panels, do they have all the clips?

When it comes to the dash are there any loose bolts? Find that a lot.

I have put sound deadener under door panels which quiets down a lot of squeaks and rattles in the doors but it moves the door panel closer to the dash, so gain one thing and lose another spot.
Try bronco garage on hear. I don,t remeber his name,He lives in Michigan and he parts out broncos and sales the parts. He also has videos on YOUTUBE on how to work on broncos.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke