Brake Rotor Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freak

Reaction score
You have to pound the stud's out of the rotor and the rotor will come off the hub.

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
You may have to pursuade the hub a little.....another thing to do after the studs are out just drop the rotor a few times hub first but be sure to do it on a block of wood or something so you don't damage te hub.

If ya need to know how to remove the rotor from the spindle thats pretty easy to..Take the caliper off,remove the allen head bolts from the lock out,remove the lock out,Then there is 2 snap rings to remove 1 on the axle shaft,and the other is on the inside part of the hub in a groove,remove both of those,then take your 4 prong 4wd nut tool,4 prong that can be bought at any parts store,remove the outter spindle nut,then theres the lock washer,that you can just grab a hold of with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out,then theres the inner nut,usually with just the socket you can spin that right off.and then just pull the rotor off the spindle,Now when installing the inner nut has a *** ,make sure its facing out on it to lign up with 1 of the holes on the lock washer be sure that *** is ligned up with 1 of the holes,then the outter nut.Tightening each nut is as follows,Tighten inner nut to 50 ft lbs,spin wheel a few times and retorque to 50 ft lbs,then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.Install the lock washer like I said to.Put the outter nut on and torque it to 50 ftlbs but don't back the outter nut off at all,then install everything in reverse of removal

xsbronco

Reaction score
I just did mine and it felt like it was getting caught up on somethin. It was.. the inner hub seal. Buy new ones the old will get damaged. I took a big crescent wrench after knocking it loose and pryied(brain fart on spelling) it off. tears up that seal though.

OP
OP

79fever

Reaction score
Appreciate the info. I believe 26 years the 79 spent in the north east are also working against me.... Ohio rust. I'll keep after it. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23