Brake nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
So tonight I noticed a weird noise at the local fast food shop..

I hear a loud click or single clap of a metallic sound every time I press on the brakes.

It doesn't seem to sound at higher speeds of 20mph +. Doesn't seem to do it in reverse either, though I didn't have much room to play with. It's most noticeable at very very low speeds (1-5mph).

Sounds like the front end.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Not sure. Forgot and I have yet to find my paperwork (we are packing for move, and think it got packed).

It only happens at 18mph or slower. Sometimes it's loud. Sometimes it doesn't do it when it doesn't do it, it's for example, coming off the highway doing 75, down to 55 to our street. I slow to turn, and first time I press the brakes nothing. A second time until we get home it does it.

Bronc76

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm right on this but i think if you have semi-metallic pads, sometimes when you apply brakes at low speeds, the brakes aren't applied fully causing the pad to vibrate against the rotor, causing the sound you hear.

nelbur

Reaction score
I doubt that the brakes are making the noise you are describing. It sounds more like some sort of suspension movement caused by the braking forces. I believe I would try to find a way to get it to make the noise, like maybe in your driveway, so it can be examined closely when it does it. I would try braking in reverse, then braking in forward, then reverse again, etc. Check all your rubber bushings for deterioration, including the radius rod, to be sure they are not allowing metal to metal contact under braking.