Brake booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Talkin to my buddy who's a ford nut (has a 67 getting a 5.9 cummins, an 72 pickups)

We were talkin about his 72 and he told me about how he runs a metal hose from the brake booster to the intake.. does this because when warm/hot the rubber hose likes to collaps thus resulting into different pressures which boils down to the brakes either working like a dream, or not so much.

I told him mine was rubber, and does the same thing! There are times where the brakes will stop on a dime, and other times the brakes arn't so good and I don't feel safe driving in stop an go traffic incase of a panic stop.

Anyone heard of this? I'm giong to try it out..worst case it doesn't work as in fixing my problem. :unsure:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Yepo..Use "Hard (Heavy Duty)" vacuum line for booster. Regular rubber hose such as used for WS washer fluid line will likely collapse after about say, 20 years. Inspect for any sign of kinking or collapse

Check vacuum draw available with a gauge connected between

engine and booster. At idle, healthy engines draw somewhere

between 17 and 22 in Hg.

Check vacuum by depressing brake pedal firmly until it stops. The

gauge should read a drop to approximately 10 in. Hg and then quickly

recover to a normal reading. If vacuum takes too long to recover, there

is a restriction in the volume, i.e.: fitting clogged or vacuum hose

collapsed. Repair as necessary.

While a defective booster will cause a hard pedal, a spongy or low

pedal requires a hydraulic system check.

---

for other vac lines;

Vacuum Line (Hose) Sourcing; "...They sell hard plastic line at most parts stores now, in the HELP! section with the rest of the vacuum fittings. Most places have it near the bottom of their display, and it's not too expensive. The ***** is forming the stuff to the shape or routing you need. I've not had the time to test it, but I believe a little heat might allow you to bend 'er into the correct shape. I should email Motormite/Dorman about that...Rubber lines collapse in long runs under low pressure (high vacuum), which is why Ford and most other manufacturers went to plastic lines. They're cheap to make, and form easily. Plus with the polymer they're made from, you can color code the lines for easier assembly line installation..."

Source: by SigEpBlue

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke