Back With My Baby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

RedHot

Well after selling my 95 xlt for part of the downpayment on my house back in 2001, I last week purchased a 96 black eddie bauer in real good shape. High mileage, but divorce forced me into buying a new boat and needed a truck to pull it with. Here is my issue. As they all do, my rear window stopped. Here is the deal though, Dash switched never worked, tailgate key worked, but it went down VERY slow. And now it won't even try to go up. Is it electrical do you think or the motor itself?

RedHot

G

Welcome to the zone. On my 78 it was the motor itself that wore out and went slow going down and never went up. I got a motor from a junkyard.

custom_78

Reaction score
Welcome to the zone. On my 78 it was the motor itself that wore out and went slow going down and never went up. I got a motor from a junkyard.
That was my post forgot to login

Ktomek06

Reaction score
My window is starting to slow down too...dunno...

Welcome to the zone..take some pics of that sweet bronc!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Welcome to BZ!!! The motor is prolly out, you can run a jumper to it to test it. SOmetimes the motor is still good, but the bushing or gear is stripped. If it's not getting power, first look at the dash switch for the problem. The wires can also get pinched right where they enter the tailgate. It sometimes takes a firm shut or you have to lean into the tailgate to bypass the safety switch to let the glass down.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello I Just had to fix my 89 . The window was going up and down very slow and I had a 95 tailgate there so I pulled all the guts outta both of them and found that the 89 unit was very hard to move even with the motor off I could barely get the arms to move . The hinge pin in the middle was very rusted and it took up the clearance the arms needed to move freely . So I took the 95 regulator assy and put my 89 motor on it cause the 95 motor plug was messed up and now the window flys up and down . Was very happy that took care of it . I put alot of grease in the new regulator assy to keep it from rusting like the old one had . Just something you might want to check . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

custom_78

Reaction score
What is the best way to replace the motor because I'm going to have to replace mine soon. I already have a new motor and gearbox but need to know how to do the install the easiest way because it seems like I have to work inside the Tailgate. I have a 78. Thanks.

4xfan78

Reaction score
The motor it self is not that hard to replace, just pull the window up all the way with the tail gate down. Then disconnect the wiring and remove the three screws pull the motor out and put the new one in. Its not exactly that easy but in about 30 minuets it can be done.

OP
OP
R

RedHot

Thanks for all of the great information. My issue is that the window is stuck down. And to unbolt the window from the regulator arms to pull it up is nearly impossible to get a wrench at. Am I not doing something correct? My other issue is that I have the dreaded clunk underneath. Figured it was u joints, had a buddy back yard mechanic crawl underneath and he thinks the u joints are fine, thinks it is my transfer case slipping and clunking. Make sense or no?

RedHot

And when I try to upload a photo of my bronco it says i can't upload this type of file. What's up with that?

Wliebhard

Reaction score
Redhot- yup that's your only option. Mine did the same thing, but I accidentally broke the glass while getting it out :angry: . Just take your time unbolting those channels- should be 4 screws. If you have a helper it goes esier. Also, wathout for the arms, they are spring loaded! Good Luck.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The 80-96 Ford F-150/Bronco Haynes or Chilton repair manual details the window glass and motor install. IF you remove the access panel you should see the glass channel bolts. As for uploading pics, be sure they are a jpeg file, and best size is 480x600 pixels or smaller.

OP
OP
R

RedHot

What a pain in the butt. With the access panel off I can barely get the wrench in there, but if its my only option then I have to do it. Oh well. Thanks for the warning on spring loaded arms. Can't wait for that either. Well it still won't let me upload the phots and they are jpeg. I must sound like an idiot on this forum. Thanks for all of the info guys.

RedHot

TPLS JNNY

Reaction score
Tecumseh,ont,canada.....close to detroit mi
Had the same problem in my 96 window went down....would not come up...with help from a member here was told to try to bypass the safety.....in the end it was a broken wire and bad harness connection...so we bypassed the lock safety and repaired one broken rivet....lubed her up and she works great....motor is fine ...thought it was dead.....but nearly as bad as i expected....good luck..

OP
OP
R

RedHot

Ok, I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. TPLS, can you give me the info on bypassing the safety? It sounds like we have the same issue possibly. Let me know if you could.

RedHot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls