Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfrbronco

Reaction score
on the drivers door frame theres a sticker with a axle code, you should be able to also tell what you have for gears there.

G

Guest_stlkikn

I am not sure what year Ford stopped using the 9" in the full size trucks...

If your rear diff has a removeable rear cover, you have an 8.8.

If your diff has bolts on the front of the housing, with a front loading carrier, you have a 9"

dirt

Reaction score
probably an 8.8, 3.55 gears. just an educated guess since i can't see your axle, or the vehicle data tag from here

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
More than likely it is a Ford 8.8" with 3.00 or 3.55 gears. Ford Broncos had the 8.8" beginning in 1983, but some had the 9" up thru 86. If you find the axle code on the door jamb, post it here and we can decode it. Easy way is just to look for the removable rear inspection plate like posted.

Here's a pic of a Ford 8.8" rear axle:

88bronco8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

arctcknight

Reaction score
well unfortunatlythe last owner repainted it and never replaced the info tag. this is what i have

DSC00309.JPE

Attachments

• DSC00309.JPE
    DSC00309.JPE
    14.7 KB · Views: 12

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky, that is a Ford 9". You might still have a tag on the front side under one of the carrier bolts (next to the driveshaft /pinion.) It's the silver strip in this pic:

rear9idtag.jpg

Justshootme84

Reaction score
If you do a little research on the Ford 9", you'll find out why I said you are lucky, compared to if you had the fORD 8.8". It's much easier to change gear ratios by just swapping the carrier assembly which makes it popular with the racing crowd. Keep in mind that it is a 31-spline half-ton axle, and can still break if you put oversize tires on it. But in my opinion, it is stronger than the 8.8" and a little easier to work on. I'm lookin at installing a spool in mine to make it a full-time, locked axle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23