auto hubs to manual hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbo_146

Reaction score
my auto hubs are shot and was wanting some directions on how to switch over to manual hubs. i've already got the new hubs and conversoin kit but need a little more advise

19BigEddie89

Reaction score
how many bolts are on your current auto hubs?

When i did my conversion i just took out to auto and took the c clip off the axle shaft and put the new manual hubs in. it was really simple.. if you have 3 bolts on the auto hubs then you do need the conversion kit.. if you have 6 or 8.. ( i cant remember which it is) then you dont need the conversion kit at all..

OP
OP
J

jimbo_146

Reaction score
mine has 5 bolts, the guy at the local part store said i needed it so i went ahead and bought it. if so how far back do i go until i start with the conversion kit

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Jimbo,

You have a 92 Bronco, right?

and the automatic locking hubs on it has "5 bolts' on it's cover?

If so, return the conversion kit and get you $ back, than find another parts store.

Here are some 5 "*****" hub to Manual swaps;

5 ***** to Warn® & Bearing Replacement w/ Bearing Locknut Torque Settings in a 90; Source: by 90beater (Topher, Chris) at bronco.tophersworld.comand, "...Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing. Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees. Assemble the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006 – inch.).." Thanks to 90beater (Topher, Chris)!!!!

Manual Hub INSTALLATION & OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: Source: by Warn®

"...These instructions are what comes with the Warn Premium hubs. If the original autolock covers have 3 screws, you will also need the spindle nut conversion kit. If you have five screws, this box contains everything you need. "... Install the Axle retaining ring. If necessary, a pry bar can be inserted into the knuckle (universal joint) to hold the axle shaft outboard while installing the axle retaining ring..."

Source: by Warn®

5 ***** to Warn® & Bearing Replacement w/ Bearing Locknut Torque Settings in a 90; and, Wheel Bearing Locknut Torque Settings for 80-96 MANUAL HUBS, NOT Factory Auto Hubs; Ford Pickups and Bronco; "...Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent ) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing. Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees. Assemble the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006 – inch.).." Thanks to 90beater (Topher, Chris)!!!!

Source: by 90beater (Topher, Chris) at bronco.tophersworld.com

miesk5 NOTE: "Word for word from Haynes Manual Ford Pickups and Bronco 1980 - 1996 Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent ) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing. Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees. Assemble the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006 – inch.)" thanks to Chris!!!!

5 ***** to Warn® in a 92 (no torque specs) Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at SuperMotors.net

5 ***** to Warn® in a 90 (no torque specs) Source: by bayarea.tx4wd.org

OP
OP
J

jimbo_146

Reaction score
thanks guys, i installed the warn hubs this morning, havn't tried them out yet. i was wanting to change my fuel filter first, so there wouldnt be much pressure behind it. Im sure this wont be my last post. Trying to get this beast fixed up. Next im lookin in on either a body lift or suspension and some 33's. dont know wich way im going to go yet. Oh yeah one more thing before then is a new spring hanger, mine has rusted into

OP
OP
J

jimbo_146

Reaction score
I live in wv and work in the mines so the bronco is a perfect vehicle to run up the mine roads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23