Anyone Know the Quality of Raybestos re-man HCU ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
miesk5

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
UPDATE: Rock said it is Not available from them or the mfgr/re-builder (Raybestos)l Rayb. has not replies to my e-mail inquiry.
BBA quotes $200 plus shipping for repair

Use price locally is $150.00

may go w/out ABS for awhile; if I can get it past the state's contracted inspection; which is doubtful.
I googled

interchangeable auto parts

and found used parts to range from $350 to $29.95

If rebuilding kits are not available, one may consider going cheap.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?use...&userPage=2

OP
OP
miesk5

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

We're in tune, again.

I did use the site to find that one locally for 150; in fact I've bought from the recycler a few times before & can get a better lower price if it was still a viable option; but they already had the HCU out of the Bronco and did not seal the hydr ports.

I'd be throwing away a lot of $ to install it w/all the crap inside it. & have it specially flushed using an HCU flush box (avail on e bay for about $100.00).

Good news is that a local shop disagrees w/contractor @ State Inspection station here; he says it will pass Inspection; sooooooooooo.....I'll go w/reg braking for awhile.

Be well Joe!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Joe,We're in tune, again.

I did use the site to find that one locally for 150; in fact I've bought from the recycler a few times before & can get a better lower price if it was still a viable option; but they already had the HCU out of the Bronco and did not seal the hydr ports.

I'd be throwing away a lot of $ to install it w/all the crap inside it. & have it specially flushed using an HCU flush box (avail on e bay for about $100.00).

Good news is that a local shop disagrees w/contractor @ State Inspection station here; he says it will pass Inspection; sooooooooooo.....I'll go w/reg braking for awhile.

Be well Joe!
I was going to ask you which normally fails, the hydrolic system, or the electronic control module.

According to the link you posted above...

99% of the time it is the control module (electronic black box on back of ABS pump) that has failed. You can seperate the module from the pump leaving the pump on the car. This means you are not breaking into the brake hydraulic system.

That comment taken from above was for a ranger, so you would have to look at your's to see if the elctronic part is removable on yours.

Perhaps you can explain to your local ****** that the unit he has for sale isn't worth the price due to the contaminated interior, and you *may* be able to swap out the electronics.

Just a thought.

OTOH... my first five or six cars did not have ABS.

Good luck with the inspection.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
miesk5

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

On my 96, the bad part is the Front Right Outlet Solenoid Valve; got a DTC 25 on it and did the pin-point tests iaw Ford CD

The ABS Control Module ("computer") cked out ok; they do fail and are much cheaper than the HCU.

Thanks, the Inspection will work out ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948