Another Newbie Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am only 17 but am almost done with my 1970 Dodge Challenger frame off restoration (a 4 year process), and of course I am already looking for my next vehicle (hopefully a 66-77 Bronco). With my car re-build and frequent four wheeling in my Dodge Ram daily driver I am familier with most anything I will find in a 30 year old Bronco.

What I need to know is any information about equiptment on certain years.

Did certain years have different axles?

Different Trannys and Transfer cases?

What motors came in what years and what can be easily swapped in?

Which years have the most aftermarket support (lift's, Body panels, etc..)?

Is there a website that contains allot of this info?

Any replies will be appreciated.

thanks allot,

matt

Flash69

Reaction score
Welcome.. broncograveyard.com............jamesduff.com. Good companies to deal with. Ive had no problems with them and they will give you tons of help over the phone.

scrub

Reaction score
I'm no expert but personally i feel the less you have to change the better. My 76 eb has a few features like front disk brakes and power steering that some of the older eb's might not. It also comes stock with a V8 so upgrading the engine is easier than swapping out a V6. The tranny is a C4 but there are conversion kits to swap it to a C6 or overdrive. Just look around the EB websites like this one for info. If you got the time to look there is tones of cool stuff as well as helpful people to answer questions. As far as aftermarket parts broncograveyard.com and wildhorses.com have some ****'n upgrades. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Grizzly

Reaction score
71 1/2 and newer had Dana 44 front axles...much stronger. 77's had inverted y drag links... much weaker. Power steering and brkes are always a plus. Disc brakes are nice too. If you end up with all drums, keep a toe on your brakes for a while after creek crossings to dry the brakes out as it's very spooky having about 1/4 your normal stopping power. www.classicbroncos.com has some excellent info....

Wildturkey

Reaction score
All 66s had 170 I-6s engines.67 started with the 289 option also 68s had them.69s were the first 302s all the way thru 77.First C-4 was 73 same with power steering.Dana 20s were T-shift thru 72 but I have seen some 73s that looked factory.73s and 74s had a 200 I-6 engine with a sort of odd rear axle and brake drum size on the rear.This is what makes these old trucks so interesting.So many mixed up options.Look at the bulkhead models.Some had the half cab and some wagons had them.Good luck.Look for rust when buying one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph