AFTERMARKET VALVE COVERS.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
[centerWELL,IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE I HAVE ASKED FOR ANY ADVISE,DURING THAT TIME PERIOD MY WIFE GAVE ME A NEW BABY GIRL,STEPHANIE...SHE IS NOW 6MOS...SO HAVEN'T HAD ALOT OF TIME FOR THE BEAST OUTSIDE...MY SON GAVE ME A SET OF CHROME COVERS FOR CHRISTMAS AND IT CAME WITH THE PUSH-IN BREATHER AND PUSH-IN PCV...BUT NOW THE QUESTION IS THE FACTORY ONE IS LOCATED IN THE OIL FILL IN THE FRONT,THE DIRCTIONS SHOW PUTTING THE PCV IN THE BACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND ROUTING TO THE BACK OF THE CARB???WILL THIS STILL WORK RIGHT..I HAVE A HOLLEY 750 DUAL LINE ,NO EGR PLATE THAT CAME WITH THE OLD 4180 HOLLEY...CAUSE I LET THE TRUCK RUN AND CAN SEE A LITTLE SMOKE OR VAPOR COMING OUT OF THE PUSH-IN BREATHER???NEVER DID THIS BEFORE THAT I'VE SEEN...BAD PCV??OR JUST NEED TO RE-ROUTE THE SET UP...ANY INPUT WOULD GREATLY HELP.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If your motor still has the PCV valve and hose, you can check if the valve is good by shaking it. If it rattles, it's good. The hose should hook up to a metal tube coming out the intake manifold. JSM84

1984 351W H.O. the pcv and hose is on the passenger-side valve cover, by the blue tranny dipstick. You might be able to see a bit of oil on te cover.

engine5.jpg

OP
OP
crazyhorse85

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
If your motor still has the PV valve and hose, you can check if the valve is good by shaking it. If it rattles, it's good. The hose should hook up to a metal tube coming out the intake manifold. JSM84

1984 351W H.O. the pcv and hose is on the passenger-side valve cover, by the blue tranny dipstick. You might be able to see a bit of oil on te cover.

engine5.jpg

[/quote OK,SO I GUESS THAT IT'S FINE TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE VALVECOVER,BUT I DID NOTICE YOURS ROUTES TO THE FRONT OF THE CARB...MY HOLLEY DOESN'T HAVE A LARGE PORT IN THE FRONT...RUNNING TO THE BACK PORT WORK JUST THE SAME...OR WILL THIS CAUSE A PROBLEM.....I WAS TOLD IT WOULDN'T BUT WOULD LIKE A SECOND OPINION...THE REASON IS I THOUGHT THAT WAS FOR THE BRAKE BOOSTER VAC..WAS TOLD TO RUN THAT TO THE VAC TREE ON BACK OF THE INTAKE.....

Broncobill78

Reaction score
It IS a little dificult to tell where it terminates from the photo. You can see the PCV valve and the rubber line but then it transitions to the hard line and kinda gets lost. It looks to me like the hardline ducks under the plug wires and transitions back to hose which then connects to the port on the underside of the air cleaner, but I'm sure he'll be on later to clear it up. Now it's been awhile since I've run a carb'd truck so I forget, but seems to me that I always used to run the PCV hose to large port in the carb baseplate with the advantage of that being you weren't running all that oil thru the carb itself but just shooting it directly thru the butterflys & into the intake. That's the way I always ran them anyways. To be honest a lot of times I didn't run the PCV at all and just installed breathers, but when I *did* run them I always hooked it to vacuum (figuring that it was after all a *Positive* Crankcase Ventilation valve and not running it to a vacuum source would convert it into a Passive crankcase ventilation valve :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

The port for the brake vacuum booster is in the rear of the intake manifold just below the carb mount, the booster gets it's vacuum directly from the engine thru a barb fitting screwed into the intake. A lot of carbs mount with the PCV port in the rear so the two ports wind up being within inches of each other and it can be difficultto make out just where each line terminates.

As far as which valve cover you install the valve into it really doesn't matter. I've run setups with a PCV in each valve cover and Tee'd them into the vacuum port and I've also run engines with no PCV valves at all, just breathers.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Read my reply again:

If your motor still has the PCV valve and hose, you can check if the valve is good by shaking it. If it rattles, it's good. The hose should hook up to a metal tube coming out the intake manifold.

The tube just slips into a hole on the intake manifold for the PCV line. It's located on gront of the carb, under that spaghetti mess of vacuum lines between the dizzy and carb.

OP
OP
crazyhorse85

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
OK ALL THAT IS CLEAR NOW....THE REASON I WANTED TO BE CLEAR IS THE METAL TUBE JSM84 WAS TALKING ABOUT IS NO LONGER THERE....THE MAN I SAVED THIS TRUCK FROM HAD NO BUSINESS WORKING ON A TRUCK LET ALONE A TRYCYCLE.... HE THOUGHT IT HAD A 351C IN IT...SOOO I'VE HAD TO REDO ALOT OF THINGS AND IT HAS BEEN QUITE A WHILE SINCE I'VE WORKED CARB'D TRUCK AND THINGS WERE A LITTLE FUZZY :unsure: ....THANXS FOR THE HELP ANYWAY....EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS :)>-

Broncobill78

Reaction score
JSM, I'm having a flashback here. Does the metal tube you're talking about come out of a small squarish looking cover that attaches to the intake with a couple of pop-rivet sort of things ? I've usually run the PCV into the base of the carb but I do remember something like what you're talking about somewhere around the base of the carb mount & I seem to remember it being on either the 82'/84'/86' but not sure which one, or ****, maybe all three. Man it's been a long time.

madmax

Reaction score
To be honest a lot of times I didn't run the PCV at all and just installed breathers, but when I *did* run them I always hooked it to vacuum (figuring that it was after all a *Positive* Crankcase Ventilation valve and not running it to a vacuum source would convert it into a Passive crankcase ventilation valve :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )
I've also run engines with no PCV valves at all, just breathers.
that's the way I prefer to do it, also helps you get by emissions inspection, if they don't notice the breathers.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
that's the way I prefer to do it, also helps you get by emissions inspection, if they don't notice the breathers.
I think that one's a hit-or-miss proposition, sometimes I've walked away just *amazed* that they didn't pick something up on the visual. More often than not it seems like they don't really care *what* you're running if you actually pass the test, I was always amazed at how much of a difference running the AC made when taking the test, I'd hunt around for a shop that didn't care & would let me sit in the cab during the sniff so I could run the AC and *every* time it dramatically reduced it, but yeah, twin breathers was the way I prefered to run my engines. If they're built right in the first place a breather is all you need.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
BB78, I'll have to look at the intake next time I work onthe Bronco to see how the metal PCV tube attaches. And I've also run twin breathers on previous engines, without the PCV. But since this particular motor in the 84 was a quality NAPA longblock, it had alot of oil blow-by. That's why there's an oil mess on the valve cover. AS a side note, the Edelbrock Performer intake only had one vacuum port, the one in front of the carb. The other port behind the carb on the stock intake was absent on this one. I did have to sacrifice cruise control due to that. Other thing to mention. On the stock intake, that front ported vacuum fitting iin front of the carb is plastic, and right at the edge of the stock air cleaner housing. This lead to the fitting being cracked from vibration of the air cleaner. I had a hard time replacing that fitting, since it's obsolete from Ford. But a generic, 3-port vacuum fitting worked out. JSM84

Broncobill78

Reaction score
JSM, this just occured to me, all the engines that I spent a LOT of time working on were mid-late 70's Lincoln big blocks. Maybe there was a difference between the Ford & Lincoln blocks. Wouldn't surprise me anyways. The difference in fuel pumps sure took me by surprise <grin>

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23