Adventure or suicide? 88 Bronco 2 long haul through the southwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but here's my two cents:
Short version:
I support the idea of doing this trip. It's a great way to shakedown/stress test the truck. I make trips like this a lot, and I'm always glad that I do. It helps work out all the little kinks and get a feel for what its capable of.

Long version: in my experience
I'm in Oxford, MS and I make regular trips to Fort Lauderdale, FL in my 85 Bronco, w/ a more/less factory 351W. Highly recommend a functional temp sensor. That was a good idea and you wont regret it. In my experience, especially this summer, my speed on the highway is dictated by my engine temp. The faster I'd go, the hotter it'd get. As soon as the clouds came in or it rained, temp wasn't an issue at all. Also, I run 70-80 w/out overdrive so... go figure.
(190-200º: not concerned at all, 200-209º: maybe slow down/pay attention, 210º +: to hot, make it cool off)

On a different note, I've made the trip several times and something random always breaks, but never stranded. My truck is also in way worse shape than yours so again... go figure. I always bring some tools and electrical stuff, just as a precaution. It sounds like your motor/drivetrain is in good condition so you shouldn't have to worry about throwing a rod, dropping a valve, stripping a gear, etc.

I hope this helps, I really just wanted to give you an idea of what you could see, and share common issues that I run into w/ trips like that.

Go on an adventure, get busy livin.
the temp sensor i put in got the gauge working. here in the Delta (clarksdale MS) its been hot and as you know its very flat. the gauge dosnt have numbers on it. just a zone for normal temp and a zone for hot. have driven it for hours on end around the delta and the temp just kinda sits in one spot on the gauge. about 70 percent the way up the gauge. so im not entirely sure how accurate the gauge is but seems ok. the only metric i have to know if it working or not is when the car is off the needle drops to the bottom and when it get turned on after a few minutes of driving that needle has risen to the middle top/middle of the gauge.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You don't need a clutch you *****. LOL. If it will start in first gear you are good to go.

have driven many a miles without a clutch. But yeah, glad it happened now.
Only bad thing about a well tuned engine. If you do it. It starts up fast and takes off. I did it by accident. Working on my c-600. With my back on the floor of the drivers side. Looking under the dash and accidently started the truck. It it hadn,t hit a apple tree.Its hard to say how far I could have traveled. hahaha .The truck was in 1st gear. Only good thing about it was. I shook some apples out.

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
UPDATE. The clutch master cylinder has been replaced but now it has starting issues due to the wiring. The mechanics here just did a bad job making sure things were straight when it was put in. Its hard to find a shop or mechanic is this small Mississippi town that cares or will do any problem solving beyond the initial ask. The good news is i have taken it to a guy with a shop about an hour down the road who has been working on and restoring broncos since i was in diapers. it has been revealed now that generally my issues are going to be wiring so now im getting electrical work done to ensure there are no starting issues and hopefully getting my headlights wired up properly. I dont have to be in Los Angeles until October 3rd so i have less than 2 weeks to get this B2 up to the task. I am still determined to drive it the the pacific. The other silver lining is that by now the south west has cooled off some and the temperatures during the trip will not be so extreme.

Shes hanging out with her cousins this week until she feels better.

bunch of Broncos.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke