ABS Light On - But I think I've done EVERYTHING!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBetty95

Reaction score
Help! I'm not a mechanic by far, so needing to keep it really basic. My 95 XLT Sport literally stopped mid drive and would not move forward in gear but only backward. When this happened the ABS light came on. We reversed to get it out of the middle of the road and then it allowed us to put into drive. Lots of noise at slow speed so had it towed to a mechanic. They said a spider gear came off and chewed up things so replaced the rear differential, including the speed sensor. After, truck running great but ABS light still on. It was pulling code 26. Had another mechanic replace the ABS brake pump actuator and light still on. He tested all wiring and said it was good as well - said he went through all the steps - and the only thing left would be to replace the ABS control module. Did that and the light is still on - and ABS not working. I used my engine code reader this morning and pulled code 553 after the module was replaced. Any ideas? Your help would be so appreciated! My son drives the Bronco and it makes me so nervous that he is driving with out ABS.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
No ABS in a Bronco, no problem. They drive better with no ABS IMHO. The light on the dash sounds annoying.
Does it drive and shift fine? Has the speed sensor in the rear been checked? Have the sensors for the front wheels been checked? Has the PSOM been checked?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo BlackBetty95,
WELCOME!
Here are the Ford tests for the two issues. If you need assistance just ask or at least you will know what a mechanic should do.

DTCs 553 indicates that voltage output for Secondary Air Injection solenoid(s) did not change when activated.
tab-tad-evr-coil2a.jpg
miesk5 Note; this set of tests includes use of Ford's old Break-Out Box; so, as I mentioned in another thread here in place of the break-out box, go to the EEC connector pin instead; substitute EEC connector pin Number for breakout box number, using;
EEC IV Connector Pin Diagram
Source: by Ryan M at %2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F201312291...ges%2Feec04.gif
EEC IV Connector Pin LEGEND Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8;
Source: by Ryan M at Ford Fuel Injection

Disconnect AIRB/AIRD (TAB/TAD solenoid connector.
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between VPWR circuit and battery ground of one solenoid, then repeat for the other solenoid.

Is each voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes GO to KC10 .
No SERVICE open harness circuit. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC10 MEASURE AIRB/AIRD SOLENOID RESISTANCE
Key off.
Disconnect both AIRB/AIRD solenoid connectors and measure both solenoid resistances.
Is each resistance between 50 and 100 ohms?
Yes go to KC11 .
No REPLACE AIRB/AIRD solenoid assembly. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC11 CHECK CIRCUIT CONTINUITY
Key off.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance between AIRB circuit at breakout box and AIRB circuit at vehicle harness connector.
Measure resistance between AIRD circuit at the breakout box and AIRD circuit at vehicle harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes Go to KC12 .
No SERVICE open harness circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC12 CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.
Disconnect both AIRB/AIRD solenoids.
Measure resistance between AIRB circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 40, 46 and 60. Measure resistance between AIRD circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 40, 46 and 60 at the breakout box.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes GO to KC13 .
No SERVICE short to ground. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and AIRB/AIRD solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.

KC13 CHECK FOR SHORT TO POWER
Key off.
Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.
Both AIRB/AIRD solenoids disconnected.
Measure resistance between AIRB circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 37 and 57. Measure resistance between AIRD circuit at the breakout box and Test Pins 37 and 57 at the breakout box.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN Quick Test.
No SERVICE short to power. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM and AIRB/AIRD solenoids. RERUN Quick Test. If DTC is present, REPLACE PCM.

For 4WABS CODE 26, SEE ATTACHED;
Screenshot_20191221-202623.jpg
Screenshot_20191221-202700.jpg

Screenshot_20191221-202707.jpg

Screenshot_20191221-202813.jpg

Screenshot_20191221-202825.jpg
⊙●⊙
Was speed control, if equipped recall work completed by dealership? Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/foru...ruise-control-recalls-repair.html#post6530073
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Here is the 1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure

1995 Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M0M9m9vtiOxwy5wkJ203tlSTjwuWzcew

1995 Body, Chassis Service Manual
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MJ0Li_e-Esufa-pnSR-edaQ9VD15SiMS
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window)by HawkDriver

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) with Recalls, same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams
Al

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
Apparently, I maxed out on number of images allowed per post.
For testing TAD/TAB SOLENOIDS,resistance can be measured too
20181227_095048.jpg20181227_095340.jpg

Attachments

• hpim0178.jpg
    hpim0178.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
BlackBetty95

BlackBetty95

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm going to print out and see if I can find a mechanic that can help. Took to a brake guy and they said they couldn't help me. Still getting code 26. Have replaced the hydraulic unit and electronic control module and my usual mechanic said all wiring tested ok. If anyone has an expert in the DFW area please let me know! Thanks again!

OP
OP
BlackBetty95

BlackBetty95

Reaction score
All, UGH! My mechanic has gone through all the steps. Now trying to repair the ABS Hydraulic pump. Ordered one that turned out to be bad - trying to make one good part out of two bad ones! Anyone have an internal wiring diagram for the ABS Hydraulic pump unit itself? We are scratching our heads! The ABS light is STILL ON!

OP
OP
BlackBetty95

BlackBetty95

Reaction score
Miesk5 - so here is where I'm at. Coupled with my initial description of the issue above: Months ago when the ABS light first came on - throwing code 26 - mechanic1 went through the trouble shooting steps, checking wiring, etc. Said we needed new ABS pump. I ordered f3tz-2c215-A even though it said Explorer because he said that A just meant it was an older model even though the truck called for B. Not the case so he tried to wire things so that it would connect. He thought he had it figured out and all was fine. When it didn't work we moved on to the ABS control module and replaced because he thought the ABS pump was ok. (now I have an extra working ABS control module if anyone needs one). Didn't fix so I went to mechanic #2. The ABS pump I initially ordered was a bad part (?). So we have a bad pump and potential bad wiring. Mechanic2 understands mechanic1's method and why he did it. I ordered the correct Bronco pump f3tz-2c215-B but it arrived with one of the connectors cut. Mechanic2 says he needs both connectors and one cannot be cut (I guess that would help if you don't have the wiring diagram - that's about all I can figure out). Mechanic2 says that the 8pin connector (pigtail) coming out of the bottom of the hydraulic unit needs to be male terminals instead of female terminals to properly plug in. (Yes, I'm confusing myself even as I type). I sent mechanic2 your wiring diagram and he said it was not the internal wiring for the pump and he can't find that diagram to try to figure out what's going on (why he wants both connectors - eureka, I'm following that!). Do you know of any way to get this pump to talk to this Bronco in current state? I know - this is crazy. But challenging???

OP
OP
BlackBetty95

BlackBetty95

Reaction score
So after another education session with mechanic2 I now understand that mechanic1 jacked with the abs pump wiring, not "Bronco" wiring, so if I could just find an ABS pump with both pigtails that would fix the problem, replacing what mechanic1 changed up. Any idea how to find that? Both pumps I have received have only had one connector. I need a pump with both connectors to replace the jacked up wiring from mechanic1. And sorry to be such a pain. As mentioned, I'm not a mechanic, but I just love my Bronco and want her to work at 100%. Especially with my 2 sons driving her.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
Try this seller, https://www.connectorpeople.com/Family/AutomotiveandSealedConnectors

The mechanic could have a local yard or one affiliated with uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped.
Then have him splice wires in with automotive weatherproof connectors and heat shrink tubing.

If he feels overwhelmed, seek out an automotive electrical repair shop or go to a Ford dealership and speak to both parts department and service dept.

Good fortune!

Attachments

• 4wabshcu.jpg
    4wabshcu.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
BlackBetty95

BlackBetty95

Reaction score
Hallelujah Praise Jesus the ABS Light is OFF! The problem all along was a bad ABS pump. Tried to rewire to make an “almost fit” fit - that didn’t work out, but was able to have a yard remove one and include both pigtails, so mechanic 2 could re attach after mechanic 1’s rewiring changes. Thanks to all for your advice and wiring diagrams! This forum is such a huge help!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
WoooHooo!

Glad you got it fixed. Now that you got it working properly it makes sense why it wasn't fixed the first time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke