97 - 2002 Expedition 17" wheels on a Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
You are right, the 17s are 5 x 135 and I placed a wheel hole gauge using the 5 x 5.5 holes and they match up dead nuts on the 5 x 135 studs of the Expedition. Mathematically 5.5 in comes our to 139.7 mm so I'm not sure why the gauge set perfectly on all 5 studs. I won't know for sure until I try mounting one, which I will be doing this weekend as a test. I'll let you know how it works out. If this doesn't, I'll resell them and pay the price to have a set drilled or just forget it for now and use my set of 15 x 5.5 x 8 wheels with new 33s on them.
:)>-
Yea, they are real close, but when the studs come through you will find they will not center in/on the hole off by just a couple of mm's. Its heartbreaking because the wheels look very unique on the Bronco.

If you get them to fit please post us a pic...please...I am beggin' here.

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yea, they are real close, but when the studs come through you will find they will not center in/on the hole off by just a couple of mm's. Its heartbreaking because the wheels look very unique on the Bronco.
If you get them to fit please post us a pic...please...I am beggin' here.
That third picture is the set I have.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Now to each his own, but this ain't rocket science. It's machine work. Accurate drilling & countersinking, that's it. For anyone familiar with a lathe & mill this is just a layout problem. You should be able layout the correct pattern, drill the hole offset & then countersink them for the lugnuts, or, well any machinist willing to take $$$ for his work should be able to. It's just a math problem (more specifically it's a geometry problem. Most of us learned this back in high school).

Last edited by a moderator:

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
I found one discussion from Dieselstop on a F-250 Centurion where later model rims were used.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/99-f-250-wheels-will-they-fit-93-f-250-a-123086/ ://http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...-250-a-123086/

And here is a link where you can have any adapter built which might work better if you want to use the centers/lug nut covers.

http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp

A few years ago I am guessing 2002, I had a 1992 Bronco custom and was tire shopping and found a set (like that third photo I posted) where a guy had bought a new set of custom rims for his new truck and traded in (with the rim/tire dealer) his factory fresh stock rims with new rubber. I was bummed when we tried them on. Like I said before they looked awesome on the Bronco, very unique. I know why they look so exotic...because it is so troublesome to do. Custom built wheel adapters might be your best bet.

I always liked that odd 7 lug pattern Ford did on the F-250 for a couple of years that would look nifty on a Bronco too.

wileec

Reaction score
Now to each his own, but this ain't rocket science. It's machine work. Accurate drilling & countersinking, that's it. For anyone familiar with a lathe & mill this is just a layout problem. You should be able layout the correct pattern, drill the hole offset & then countersink them for the lugnuts, or, well any machinist willing to take $$$ for his work should be able to. It's just a math problem (more specifically it's a geometry problem. Most of us learned this back in high school).
The 2 choices I see are oval holes or 5 new holes not sure I would like either of those. There are plenty of 5.5 after market rims in most sizes. I would think the cost would be simlar to that of paying a machinist to make the old work.

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
I haven't thrown in the towel yet. I talked to the guy that does the hub adapters and he said that he couldn't make an adapter for the wheels :(( . He said the Bronco hub is just slightly larger than the Expedition stock 17 in wheels. That still leaves the machining option so I will have to check around locally :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> for someone who can do it since I don't have the equipment to do it myself.

I have a feeling you are right wileec. I get myself into these deals once in a while where what looks like a bargain cost me more than going for what seems like the more expensive option :-" . The final option will obviously be to put them on eBay and recover my loss $-) .

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I've got something to sell on eBay <_< . Thanks for the warnings guys, it was a little less disappointing to find out it was not a game of Horse shoes or Handgrenades where almost gets points :rolleyes: . They are just a little too close, and since they are hub centric it would require a ridge on the rear break drum that sadly just isn't there :glare: . Chalk it up to education the hard way :lol:

You can all line up and say, "I told you so", now B) . I may be down, but not out yet.

Options;

1. Get a new set already cut to size

2. Keep the set of AR 15 x 10 wheels I have in the garage and and put 33s back on

3. Do nothing

Say Tennessee Jed, what is that wheel from that you said will fit?

:rolleyes:

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
....Say Tennessee Jed, what is that wheel from that you said will fit?

:rolleyes:
The E-150 vans had some nifty mag wheel designs that look cool on a Bronco from similar model years, I have them pictured in earlier post, same offset and lug pattern but also same old 15" diameter. You would have to fabricate front lug covers with holes for your front axle/lock hubs.

This place may even trade in the ones you have for some Ford factory styles that will fit.

Here is a page that has some of the styles that should fit the Bronco from vans just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK