97 - 2002 Expedition 17" wheels on a Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have hated the look of 15" wheels on a Bronco when the tires are 33" or larger. While at my local friendly auto recyclers I found he had a 99 Expedition tucked away in the back corner with 17" wheels on it, they are listed as 5 x 135 . The bolt pattern looked close so I got his wheel gauge and checked it against 5 x 5.5 and "Whala", :D/ it was an exact match :D/ . The price was too good to let go, $75.00 each so I snapped them up. The tire diameter is just about the same as a set of 33" perhaps a smidgen larger (265/70 R17 AT's). Anyone have any reason that they might not be so good on the Bronco? [-o<

:)>-

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Slick deal. Now you can put a big "17"" on the side glass in silver 24" lettering <grin> Just funnin' with ya man, it's not *nearly* as bad as the guys with a big "24"" on their caprice's looking like they should have a team of horses pulling the things.

I spotted a set recently and wondered how the backspacing on those rims was. I haven't bothered to look but how are the tire choices in 33" & 36" for 17" rims ?

But please, tell me they aren't spinners <g> I'd LOVE to see something like the classic factory slotted aluminum mag in a 17" rim but I just don't think it'll happen unless someone puts some kind of spinning chrome doohickey on it. Those mags looked GREAT with 36" tires, but I'm afraid if someone started offering them in 17's it just wouldn't stop until they were offerend in 24's & 30's and being stuffed under Town Cars. You just can't **** the clasics (but sometimes you CAN maul the **** out of them, who the **** started this freaking fad anyways ??)

donk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
I may have a problem with decorative front caps, since the Expedition has Autos and no hub like the Bronco, but that is a small hurdle and I'm sure I can come up with something. Also, the lugs are different and I'm hoping the threads are the same on the studs, as well as the length. Not too sure how they may effect breaking which, as you know, isn't that great on a Bronco. May have to go to heavy duty rotors and calipers.

Oh yah, they do make 33 and 36 in 17", saw them in an off road magazine.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ok, so this is moderately off-topic but I just HAVE to know why. Why would someone do something like this ? I can see running a 16.5" or a 17" rim. **** maybe even an 18", but on a FREAKING TRUCK, something that has an actual USE for large tires. Why would someone DO something like this ? Just to prove it can be done ? Ok, we know it can be done so why propagate ? $hit, I can weld a spinning ballerina onto the roof of my truck, but that doesn't mean that I SHOULD ? Someone please explain to me what there is about this that's in any way cool, usefull or practical ?

donk2.jpg

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
I agree with you, I think stuff like that is ugly as Sh#t. I don't like the look of large wheels with low profile tires on a truck either. That looks just as ridiculas as far as I'm concerned.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I may have a problem with decorative front caps, since the Expedition has Autos and no hub like the Bronco, but that is a small hurdle and I'm sure I can come up with something. Also, the lugs are different and I'm hoping the threads are the same on the studs, as well as the length. Not too sure how they may effect breaking which, as you know, isn't that great on a Bronco. May have to go to heavy duty rotors and calipers.
Oh yah, they do make 33 and 36 in 17", saw them in an off road magazine.

What do the center holes on the rims look like ? I know Mopar uses the same 5-on-5.5" as Ford for some of their truck rims but the center holes are way off by comparison. How well do these ones fit over your hubs ?

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
What do the center holes on the rims look like ? I know Mopar uses the same 5-on-5.5" as Ford for some of their truck rims but the center holes are way off by comparison. How well do these ones fit over your hubs ?
I'm pretty sure it is the same, I am going to check that tomorrow against the wheels I have in the garage. I have a set of American racing 15 x 8 wheels for 33+ tires, didn't have time tonight to do that. If it happens to be a bust, I'll just clean them up a little and put them up on eBay. The guy at the yard included the full size spare wit them, with never been used rubber on it.

bidibronco

Reaction score
I get the question all the time on my Crown Vic: "Hey, when you gunna put sum dub dub's on that beast?" First off, *** is dub dub? Oh wait, 2 2 hey, that makes 22! Yay me... okay on a serious note, I happen to like the look of my 15's with all that rubber to look at. Not to mention taking out around 6-8#s lets it soak up the bumps a little better without doing any damage. Oh, it rides GOOOOOOOD anyways so why mess with that?

Jersey

Reaction score
I get the question all the time on my Crown Vic: "Hey, when you gunna put sum dub dub's on that beast?" First off, *** is dub dub? Oh wait, 2 2 hey, that makes 22! Yay me... okay on a serious note, I happen to like the look of my 15's with all that rubber to look at. Not to mention taking out around 6-8#s lets it soak up the bumps a little better without doing any damage. Oh, it rides GOOOOOOOD anyways so why mess with that?
i have to agree with you on that. I get compliments all the time on how my 33x12.5' look on 15 inch rims. Although the rims themself are ***** (workin on that), all that rubber gives it a more agressive look in my opinion.

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, it looks like they will fit just fine. I will probably use the set of American Racing decorative hubs I have for the front.

Glad to hear you guys like yours with 15s on them. That is why I'm only going to 17", it won't change the look too drastically like the dumb low profiles on 22+ wheels, and who knows, maybe I will like it that way and the again maybe I won't and since that is all that counts, well ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Won't know until I do it, will I. I do know that you can get any kind of rubber for 17s as you can for 15s. My Chevy looked nice to me with 16.5's and the 17s look good on an Expedition so I think I will like them on the Bronco :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck,

OH yah, "Anyone have any reason that they might not be so good on the Bronco?" is a technical question not a aesthetics question :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
The hub on my truck measures 27 mm in circumference and the 17 wheel hole measures 27.5 mm. The stock wheels are just slightly larger than the hub size, so it looks like a go there.

Jersey

Reaction score
Well, it looks like they will fit just fine. I will probably use the set of American Racing decorative hubs I have for the front.
Glad to hear you guys like yours with 15s on them. That is why I'm only going to 17", it won't change the look too drastically like the dumb low profiles on 22+ wheels, and who knows, maybe I will like it that way and the again maybe I won't and since that is all that counts, well ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Won't know until I do it, will I. I do know that you can get any kind of rubber for 17s as you can for 15s. My Chevy looked nice to me with 16.5's and the 17s look good on an Expedition so I think I will like them on the Bronco :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck,

OH yah, "Anyone have any reason that they might not be so good on the Bronco?" is a technical question not a aesthetics question :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .
At least knowing they fit leaves options open for the future. The only problem I had with the Aluminum 17's on my 2002 pick up was they bent really easy. I had to replace 2 of them from *** holes, and that was with a 285 tire. The guys at ford dubbed them butter rims. I still say my abusive driving had alot to do with that though....

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, Yeah Fred we know that, but please remember that you're NOT dealing with the sharpest collection of tacks in the bulletin board. We get all distracted by shiney objects, just like a bunch of crows.

Really now, what did you THINK was going to happen when you tossed us a bone like this ?

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, Yeah Fred we know that, but please remember that you're NOT dealing with the sharpest collection of tacks in the bulletin board. We get all distracted by shiney objects, just like a bunch of crows.
Really now, what did you THINK was going to happen when you tossed us a bone like this ?
Yah, I know :rolleyes: I commited a cardinal sin by suggesting putting something other than stock on the outside of the Bronco. Wait till you hear this one, I'm going to remove all Ford markings from the outside :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . I guess it's OK to make internal modifications but to come out of the closet and into the open with it, shame shame [-X [-X .

wileec

Reaction score
I am suprised that no one has said this but the 99 has a metric pattern NOT 5 on 5.5 it is a few mm off and the nuts will not seat correctly. I think 17s with at least 33" of rubber would look good.

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
I am suprised that no one has said this but the 99 has a metric pattern NOT 5 on 5.5 it is a few mm off and the nuts will not seat correctly. I think 17s with at least 33" of rubber would look good.
I think you are right. I tried some 2000 F-150 rims one time (I think they were 16") on my 1992 it is a very slight difference, the studs will slip in but they won't center. Otherwise you would see them on 1992-1996 trucks from later model wrecks. It dead irked me at the time because the look was fabulous. I reckon you could take the bare rims to a good machine shop and have it done, but it would be costly. I did one time see stock mag rims from a E-150 van of a similar year on a Bronco it looked nice.

this style will work:3147a.jpg

these won't no matter how bad I wanted it to:3192.jpg3196a.jpg

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
You are right, the 17s are 5 x 135 and I placed a wheel hole gauge using the 5 x 5.5 holes and they match up dead nuts on the 5 x 135 studs of the Expedition. Mathematically 5.5 in comes out to 139.7 mm so I'm not sure why the gauge set perfectly on all 5 studs. I won't know for sure until I try mounting one, which I will be doing this weekend as a test. I'll let you know how it works out. If this doesn't, I'll resell them and pay the price to have a set drilled or just forget it for now and use my set of 15 x 5.5 x 10 wheels with new 33s on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke