92 Bronco possible 5.0 motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimko

Reaction score
I am a recent new owner of a 92 Bronco with 256,000 miles on original 5.0 motor. Other than some oil leaks (oil pan, rear seal) it runs well and has only 20k on the auto trans. I located a low mile 5.0 ** motor on craigslist which came from a 94-95 Mustang GT. I'm not sure what the HP and torque numbers are for the ** motor and will do some research on that but for $600 I am quite interested. Would anyone have experience with a swap like that? I would think the blocks are the same but it might have some fitment issues or other issues.
Thanks in advance!

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a recent new owner of a 92 Bronco with 256,000 miles on original 5.0 motor. Other than some oil leaks (oil pan, rear seal) it runs well and has only 20k on the auto trans. I located a low mile 5.0 ** motor on craigslist which came from a 94-95 Mustang GT. I'm not sure what the HP and torque numbers are for the ** motor and will do some research on that but for $600 I am quite interested. Would anyone have experience with a swap like that? I would think the blocks are the same but it might have some fitment issues or other issues.
Thanks in advance!

Would you just buy the motor, then store it until your engine blew in the bronco, or do you want to change it out right away?

OP
OP
jimko

jimko

Reaction score
Would you just buy the motor, then store it until your engine blew in the bronco, or do you want to change it out right away?
After reading a forum post last night on another site, it was suggested that there could be complications with computer due to a different firing order of the 5.0 ** motor. I can't do the swap myself so the expense of overhaul vs putting a motor with 117k miles in it. is seeming less appealing. Lack of power could be addressed somewhat with upgrades done while doing an overhaul I would keep the motor until needed but now I'm thinking just wait till something happens before finding a motor and doing a swap.

ragtop69

Reaction score
I believe this falls under the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. BTW, 302/5.0L Ford engines are notorious for having leaking rear mains. My '83 XLT dripped from about 30K miles until I sold it with 177K miles on it. I knew that Ford had changed the firing order on the 302 sometime during the duration of the Fox Body Mustangs but I didn't know the ** motor has a different firing order still. Are you sure of that?

OP
OP
jimko

jimko

Reaction score
I believe this falls under the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. BTW, 302/5.0L Ford engines are notorious for having leaking rear mains. My '83 XLT dripped from about 30K miles until I sold it with 177K miles on it. I knew that Ford had changed the firing order on the 302 sometime during the duration of the Fox Body Mustangs but I didn't know the ** motor has a different firing order still. Are you sure of that?
Well, I can live with a drip for a while. I read that firing order claim on another forum for F150's so that's where I got that info. after googling the swap. However a complete 5.0 ** motor from a 94-5 Mustang with 117k claimed miles for $600 was what I was looking at.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo jimko,
Welcome!
Here is some background info on a 302 (5.0) to 351 (5.8) swap.
I haven't verified all yet, but others will, I'm sure.

"...5.0 & 5.8... " use different exhaust tubes to connect the EGR to the exhaust.
The 5.0 gets exhaust from the lower intake, while the 5.8 gets exhaust from the passanger exhaust manifold.
Lower Intake Manifolds are Different:
5.0 is approx ~ 8 inches wide
5.8 is apporx ~ 11 inches wide
Upper and lower, the gasket pattern is diffrent from 5.0/5.8. So you can't mix an upper and lower between the two. The 5.0 uses squared ports and the 5.8 uses oval ports. If you get an intake from a junk yard it will have the matching fuel rail." by Ryan M.
See more info & pics by Ryan M

sackman9975 wrote, "you won't be able to use the intake from the 302 on the 351 because it won't fit. The 351 has a wider deck. You would have to find a complete system from a 351 donor truck to make it work. Computer, intakes, wiring are the start of what you'll need. Then exhaust y pipe too."
¤
Fuel Rail: The 5.0 is a wider engine so the fuel rail is wider. You can get this with the intake from the junkyard. Some people have cut the nylon tubing off the 5.0 fuel rail and used EFI fuel hose to make it wider. miesk5 note, I believe Jeffs Bronco Graveyard or NAPA, etc may have it.
¤
Distributor - the 5.0/5.8 distributors look the same but... The difference between them are the oil pump drive is larger on the 5.8.
"The distributor has a fatter shaft. You can obtain one from a 351W powered FI truck (if you are using FI) or any late 70's/early 80's car using the 351W and a Duraspark system if you are going to build a non-efi car." & "Get new motor mounts. If your mounts are questionable already, the additional weight of the 351W will make them fail in a hurry." & "The internal balance of a 351W is the same as pre-81 302's (28.2 oz). The 5.0 ** has a 50 oz. unbalance, which means you cannot use the flexplate/flywheel or the harmanic balancer off of an ** engine. You have to get the correct pieces from a dealer/junkyard."
The deck height is higher, which means you need a different intake, since the 351W intake is wider. A 5.0 Upper will bolt to a 351W lower.
by Mike at fast351.com
°
Flexplates are Different according to ATP, But both 5.0 & 5.8 have 164 teeth and are 14.23" in Diameter.
¤
96 5.0 to 5.8 Swap by jojo at California 1996 5.8L 351 Swap and Smog Certification - FSB Forums
¤
PCM (Computer) - You must get a 5.8 computer from a yard queen or rebuilder. "..Just don't get one that was on a flood damaged vehicle ;)..."
miesk5 Note, if at a yard, after removing it, open it up and inspect for leaking capacitors, etc. Here are some PCM KILLER perpetrators and other causes:
Old leaky capacitors, see https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ore-codes.html by jowens1126
Smell around the PCM. If it smells like dead fish, it's bad.
Bad Intel 8061 chip or bad Intel 8361 memory chip
Bad Internal Voltage Regulator, see http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/images/eec085.gif by Ryan M
Burned PCM printed circuit board circuits (brown burn marks).
Water damage from cowl leaks, ESPECIALLY if you you have wet carpet or mat near driver kick panel;
or on PCM Connector due to a bad hood seal near cowl panel, viewable with hood up.
The alternator could be generating an AC voltage spike due to bad diode(s),
Bronco was jump started on reverse polarity.
Overheated PCM.
°
This may not help you, but just in case;
5.0 to 5.8 Swap Computer Solution in an 88
Source: by urban_cowboy at
302EFI to 351EFI swap Computer Solution - Ford Bronco Forum
¤
Exhaust Crossover - "The 5.8 is a wider engine so to connect to the exhaust manifold you'll need a wider corssover. There are a few options to acomplish this. The stock crossover's are part of the first converter, so it is an expensive part to buy new. You can get it used, or have an exhaust shop build you something custom. remember to keep O2 sensor and install it about 6-12" away from the cylinder head." by Ryan M.
¤
More swap info by Ryan M @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/6111-302-efi351-swap.html
Includes for example; "...They both use the same throttle body and EGR valve; You can use your original engine harness, so be very carefull with it as you remove the old engine. If you had a 302 you DO NOT need to make any modifications to the harness;
Fuel Pressure Regulator is same.
¤
5.0; The firing order for 87-93 Broncos is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise ---------- The firing order for 1994 through 1996 and all 5.8 Bronco vehicles is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire. To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise
Source: by Tank92

¤
5.0 to 5.8 Swap Pics in an 86
Source: by Gacknar (Jeremy, Big grey megga beast) at 1986 Ford Bronco 302 to 5.8 swap pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

5.0 to 5.8 Swap Pics in an 87
Source: by Joey S (Nacho, Stokes, Larry, Stoked) at 1987 Ford Bronco Motor Swap pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Stokes shows why he needed the correct A/C pump and 5.8 bracket.
Stokes has more info @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/8465-302fi-351w-fi-swap.html
¤
92 5.0 & 92 5.8 Serpentine Belts are Different according to Dayco, Rock Auto

Here's the 1992 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1992.pdfGL!
Al

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo