9 inch rear end swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtdjl

Reaction score
is it possible to swap out a stock 95 rear end to 9 inch rear end if you keep the same gear raitio ? just wondering

chrlsful

Reaction score
R U talkin 1) just the 'pull out chunk' or 2) axel to axel (whole rear end) swap? Doesn't that vehicle have the "8.8 rear"? This means "No" it won't bolt right in as it's a 9 inch. There are chunks for that - that DO fit (change gear ratio, put in LS, or lockers, etc). If U have an axel from breaks to breaks U wanna swap in that's doable too. Spring perches & other (compair lengths, location L & R of drive shaft, gear match to frnt chunl, etc) will have to B checked for mods (prts, budget, ability) 1st. Many sell the whole rear to another to fund their mod of choice.HTH

BroncoAZ

Reaction score
I have done this swap, but on my 87 where it was nearly bolt in. The 9” axle is the same physical width and bolt pattern as the 8.8”, you may need to grind off the spring pads and weld new ones on, I did to get the pinion angle correct. The 9” axle doesn’t have the tone ring or provisions for the vehicle speed sensor on the newer Broncos. There may be a kit to move the VSS to the driveshaft. The ****** on the 8.8” driveshaft on the newer Broncos won’t bolt on to the 9” directly, so you may need a new drive shaft or have your modified. I’ve had great luck with the 9” on mine. I did bend one housing, but I was jumping it frequently. The new housing is trussed and reenforced. The disc brakes required an adjustable proportioning valve to keep the rear tires from locking up before the fronts.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo sgtdjl,

As BroncoAZ advised.
Southwest performance has a kit which relocthing the vss to the front of the drive shaft where the transfer case is. Here is the link.http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=997
Leduc has one as well but you have to send the adapter plate to him and it is the same price as this one from the link but you dont have to send anything to him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke