89 Bronco Trans Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89bronco

Reaction score
Hi,first timer, Ihave been told there are some problems with the 89 trans ,but if thats true what else can I use for a every day driver that I want to trick out?

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the B Zone!

What trany do you have now?

Ford used a few different ones for the Bronco, the E4OD, AOD, C6 just to name a few.

E4OD = Electronic 4 speed with OverDrive (Has a button on the dash for the overdrive)

AOD = Automatic with OverDrive (the overdrive is on the shifter, usually will show D with a circle around it then D 3 2 1 or D 2 1)

C6 = Just an automatic with out overdrive.

My guess is you have the E4OD. That one did have some problems early on but over the years Ford made some improvements to it and now it is (IMO) the best one.

I would say stay with the E4OD (IF that is what you have) but get a newer one, 94, 95, 96 should be new enough to have most all the improvements.

If by chance you have a manual trany, I don't know much about them. I am sure someone can help you with that one.

Good Luck!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Shadow D is correct, you should have the E4OD automatic, as very few 89's and up have the 5-speed manual tranny. Prior to 1991, the E4OD had some probelms, and repairs on these can run up to $3000. You should not pay more than $1500 to have one rebuilt and modified, and you can find a good used one in a salvage yard for half that.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
My 89 had the C6 and I blew it up all over the my street. :wacko: The neighbors were ****** at the oil slick that was visable for months... B)

Seems like it was a weak transmission to me. It actually grenaded!

dicain

Reaction score
I would stay with the E4od great tranny if you keep it cool. and most shops can upgrade the tranny. the over drive had a lot of aluminum in the older trannys. find a good shop though its a tranny some shops like to skimp and use cheap clutches.

also get a new tork converter. then run synthetic oil in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula