'86 Bronco XLT air cleaner ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emelio

Reaction score
Could anyone post a picture of the original air cleaner that came with the '86 5.8L engine? Mine came without the air cleaner being installed ;I found it inside the truck and I want to be sure is the one used on this Bronco. I've already took it apart and cleaned the rust...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Could anyone post a picture of the original air cleaner that came with the '86 5.8L engine? Mine came without the air cleaner being installed ;I found it inside the truck and I want to be sure is the one used on this Bronco. I've already took it apart and cleaned the rust...
Yo Emelio, for now until I and you can confirm this;
Screenshot_20211208-134138_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Emelio

Emelio

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Miesk5... It looks identical to the air cleaner I found in the back of the track ;I notice the PCV valve has two fittings one going to the air cleaner "vacuum motor" ? The other one to the carburetor I suppose.. There is another small FRAM air filter inside the air cleaner case besides the main air filter. I'll be using a 4BBl Edelbrock 1906...
These drawings are of a great help since it seems that someone else was inside the engine bay before on my XLT and removed all the smog components and hoses including the charcoal canister that I intend to keep and re-install a minimum of the removed components...
Thank you again for posting this...

Attachments

• IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4846.JPG
    IMG_4846.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4762.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4767.JPG
    IMG_4767.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
Emelio

Emelio

Reaction score
Thank you miesk5!

Attachments

• IMG_4884 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4884 (Medium).JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4934 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4934 (Medium).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4936 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4936 (Medium).JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Emelio

Emelio

Reaction score
I made little progress today Painting the air cleaner less its 17-1/2" cover that still missing; I used the VHT SP134 "Ford Light Blue" and hope to withstand the engine heat...Today I also visited the local Junk yard but no success in finding an air cleaner cover that would fit . I have the decal for it though..:)
The Radiator that my 1986 Bronco XLT came with does not look like the original radiator; it's a 3 row copper/brass type. I filled it with water and discovered 2 leaks which I fixed. Flushed it a few times and a lot of stuff came out; I noticed that the tubes are very thin and I'm kind of hesitant to re-install it but I do not know what radiator to install. The Ford parts listed the OEM radiator for about $360 on their Website but after I paid for it I was told that Ford discontinued the part.. As to the aftermarket radiators, I do not know what to select. Any suggestions for a good radiator? I better pay once and cry once...

Attachments​

• 24190-d25b11e184bf76a2a1d45972f57f5ef1.jpg
    IMG_4884 (Medium).JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 24191-3aebe0fae5afe500924eba9dc6d1311d.jpg
    IMG_4934 (Medium).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 24192-0df8676d8f44d16dbe4d1a9f5d008125.jpg
    IMG_4936 (Medium).JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emelio

Emelio

Reaction score
351W, 5.8L engine start up...
I've inspected each of the engine cylinders with a borescope and they appeared clean with almost no carbon deposits.Spark plugs looked great and after a poured some transmission oil in each cylinder I manually turned the engine a few times;could not detect any problems so I assume that the engine is in good shape. I discovered that engine has 040 pistons so it appears that it was rebuilt sometimes before. I need to do a vacuum and a compression test, do I need to put a cap on all the vacuum trees on the manifold? The smog pump and all the vacuum hoses were removed...

Tnx

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Emelio
1986 Bronco & F Series EVTM @ https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html
by Gary!

Vacuum Leak Test; On an idling engine check for vacuum leaks using a mechanic's stethoscope, or a ~3' garden hose section.
On COLD ENGINE only, use propane torch w/rubber hose attached, UNLIT or spray carb cleaner, when it gets to the the leak the RPMs will rise.

Vacuum Gauge Diagnosis by Craig @ Reading your vacuum gauge

Suggest buying a vacuum gauge, best low cost test and MPG helper you can spend $ on;
pic; "...I have a vacuum gauge mounted right in the dash of my truck. I use it to also help determine the load my engine is under while driving, and to estimate fuel economy..."
Source: by William T at http://www.fordf150.net/images/mytruck/vacgauge.jpg

See my post here @ Is it just a vacuum leak?!
for HOT LINKs to each below;

Also check:
vacuum hoses;
EGR Valve

acronyms (not nec. for your year/engine)
A/CL: Located in the air cleaner
A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
ACT: Air Charge Temperature Sensor, prior to 1992
ACTS: Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor
ACV: Air Control Valve
AIR: Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
AIR BPV: AIR BPV is the AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve; also called the TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve
BV: Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
CARB: Carburetor
CBD: Closed Bowl Distributor
CPRV: Canister Purge Valve
DIST: Distributor
DPFE: Differential Pressure Feedback
DV-TW:Two Way Delay Valve
EFCA: Electronic Fuel Control Assembly/ (Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)
EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EGRC/EGRV: EGR Vent/EGR Control
EXH HCV: Exhaust Heat Control Valve
EVP: EGR Valve Position
EGR: Valve Position
EVR: EGR Vacuum Regulator; also called EGR Vacuum Solenoid
FLTR: Filter
FPR: Fuel Pressure Regulator (check vacuum line)
HEAT VLV INT: Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)
HICV: Hot Idle Control Valve
IAT: Intake Air Temperature Sensor (Air Charge Temperature (ACT), prior to 1992
IVV: Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
LCV: EGR Load Control
MAN VAC: Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source; usually ref. to as Vacuum Tree atop intake manifold]
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure
PCV: Positive Crankcase Ventilation
PURGE: Vapor Canister Purge Valve
PV: Ported Vacuum
PVS: Ported Vacuum Switch (PVS) Valve
S: Spark port
SA-FV: Separator Assembly Fuel/Vacuum
SOLV: Thermactor Solenoid Valve
SV CBV: Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
TCAC: Thermostatically Controlled Air Cleaner
TCP: Temperature Compensated Accelerator Pump
TK: Throttle Kicker
TVS: Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot)
or
TVS: Temperature Vacuum Switch
TVV: Thermal Vacuum Valve
or, TVV: Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches; Thermal Vacuum Valve)
VAC: Vacuum
VCKV: Vacuum Check Valve
VCV: Vacuum Control Valve
VDV: Vacuum Delay Valve
V CK V or VCV: Vacuum Check Valve
VOTM: Vacuum Operated Throttle Modulator
VRDV: Distributor Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
VRDV: Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
VRESER: Vacuum Reservoir (coffee can style in earlier years; replaced by plastic style)
VRESV REST: on earlier years such as SEABRONC's 83 is a Vacuum Restictor/delay valve, it delays vacuum for a certain amount of time
VRV: Vacuum Regulator Valve
WOT: Wide Open Throttle Valve

OP
OP
Emelio

Emelio

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response miesk5; I've found an old a Harvey E. Hanson vacuum tester on eBay ;I hope is good enough, it will be here today or tomorrow...

Molokai Sinbad

Reaction score
Aloha miesk5! Great Wisdom, Noticed in one of your pics of the lower EFI intake, had a sensor located between the #6 and #7 Injector. Swapped out my stock 1986 air filter housing for a 91 housing to get it away from the exhaust manifold and found the sensor missing after removing the mounting plate. Most references only identify the Air Charge Temp Sensor between #5 and #6 Injector. What is the missing sensor and do I need it? Much Mahalo...

Attachments

• Missing Sensor2.jpg
    Missing Sensor2.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar