79 bronco Rear Window Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco79s

Reaction score
My Friends and i were talking how the only thing that seems to never fail is the back window. 20 min later it must of heard cause I put it all the way down . and the motor was never to go back up .

No i am fully stuck how to even get to the motor as its under the window that's down blocking the removal of it .

Please help me what is the full steps to removal without breaking the glass as i am afraid will happen if i do it wrong.

Thankyou

Krafty

Reaction score
I don't know for sure but does the late 70's broncs have the tailgate safety switch near the handle? if it does that would be the first thing to check cause its on the inside of the tailgate and easy to get to once the inside panel is off.

two wires that run up the inside of the tailgate to near the handle if you have those wires strip a little of the cover back and run a jumper between the two wires, then try your window, if that does work then cut the wires and just twist them together. if not then you get to take the window out. that is best done with the tailgate down.

Broncoholic

Broncoholic
Reaction score
there is no safety switch on 78-79's

remove the tailgate access panel find the wires that run into the tailgate, DON'T cut them just strip them back, using a 12v. battery see if the window moves up and down. Many times its not the motor.

If it is the motor, then you will have to carefully remove the 4-6 bolts that are holding the window in.

Foul Al

Reaction score
there is no safety switch on 78-79'sremove the tailgate access panel find the wires that run into the tailgate, DON'T cut them just strip them back, using a 12v. battery see if the window moves up and down. Many times its not the motor.

If it is the motor, then you will have to carefully remove the 4-6 bolts that are holding the window in.
there are 4 bolts that hold the window to the track. you'll need to remove these if the motor is shot. then you will have to remove the glass to some degree and access the motor. there are 3 screws, i believe they are 5/16, to remove the window motor. that motor is the same as the lincolns and the window motors for 80's broncos. ( so i have been told) before i removed all this i would check the fuses and be sure i didnt blow one. then i would play with the switch to make sure that its working properly. usually if there has been no problems before that means there is a short, a bad gear in the motor( which is kinda plastic ) or a broken wire. good luck with the repair.

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
my 78 has a safety switch, the glass wont move unless the tailgate is closed. i just manually click shut the mechanism on the drivers side and that sets the switch so i can roll out the window with the tailgate down. however, the original actuating arms that push up the window only snap into the bushings, the track is on the bottom so i dont know how you would get to it, but if you could somehow unsnap the arms from the bushing, that would work. my bushings were so worn, they would unsnap while i was driving and the window would fall down on one side.

cantbecaught4

Reaction score
My rear window quit workiing this summer in my 78. I found the problem to be a connector inside the tailgate. I simply sut off the old connector and wired in a new one from the local automotive.

The window should work whether the tailgate is up or down, at least mine did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23