79 bronco rear leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foul Al

Reaction score
howdy folks,

I have a 79 bronco with 4'' lift, coils in front and 2'' blocks in the rear with stock leafs in the rear. today after a week of driving with said lift kit and 35'' tires on my rig I broke one of the spring leafs on the drivers rear... dammit! before i buy new springs for the rear i was wondering????... what other year trucks might have the samesprings for a direct swap into my bronco? and should I do something different with the springs?.. like lose the blocks and get arched springs or just do what i did over again with replacement used springs? they are 5 leaf springs, well... 4 1/2 leafs on the drivers side.. any help or knowledge in this area would be so appreciated. b.t.w., its a rancho lift kit if thats of any importance. I also am running 3-50 gears with an open diff.

thanks a bunch! , Foul Al

DASBRONCO

Reaction score
Hi there AL!

I once came across a truck with the same situation but with 2 leafs broken, after some thinking, I decided to disassemble the spring pack and replace the springs that were broken with some leafs off another truck(dont ask which) but were equally thick and long. The end result had the same 'feel' on the road and looked the same. The main thing to look out for is your preference, do you like your current ride quality?, do you mind the ride stiffening from aftermarket lifted springs?can you afford them now?.

Another thing to consider is whether your old springs are good, are they corroded from exposure to salt water or salt roads? that can help you decide what to do. As far as I know, the main spring is the one that states which vehicle the pack goes under, and the rest are to ''fill'' for height, ride and cargo capacity. Hope this helps, and keep watch for other replies that may tie up any loose ends I leave.

Good luck !!!!

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
thanks dasbronco, i think i might just find a set of springs from a yard truck. ilearned that the leafs are all the same fom 73 to 79 on pick ups and obviously the 78 79 broncos. the only thing thats different is the h.d. setup which will in fact change the ride quality. the best i can find for new ones is 360 per side plus ship. so i'm not ready to spend that kinda coin..... yet. thanks for your help bud. wish me luck with the rusticles...

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
thanks dasbronco, i think i might just find a set of springs from a yard truck. ilearned that the leafs are all the same fom 73 to 79 on pick ups and obviously the 78 79 broncos. the only thing thats different is the h.d. setup which will in fact change the ride quality. the best i can find for new ones is 360 per side plus ship. so i'm not ready to spend that kinda coin..... yet. thanks for your help bud. wish me luck with the rusticles...
so... i found a set of pretty good springs for muh 79 bronco. i got them from an old timer that used to sell suspensions for all sorts of trucks and he had a set left around. they are from c&s? i think and i got the pair for 300 flat. direct fit and ride is comfy! only issue i had was the pass side exhaust was slightly in the way of the spring so i just heated it up and bent it a little more for the clearance i needed. the whole process was a lot less painfull than i thought it would be so if anyone has to do it just take a second and look at what your about to do and it'll come to you. 3 1/2 hours total time to replace and drive the rig.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23