75 high boy transmission, engine, axles, and suspension under a 79 bro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdbrnc96

Reaction score
I am gonna be home soon from overseas and i am gonna be doing a long awaited project i have. i have a 79 bronco and a 75 highboy. the highboy is rusted out but all the mechanicals are there and in working order. the bronco is without a motor. so put two and two together and what do you get. the questions i have are will it all work?

1) the motor and transmission the motor is a 391fe heavy duty and the transmission is a 4 speed manual with the divorced transfer case.

2) the axles rear diff. dana 60 4.10 gearing and the front is the dana 44 heavy duty 4.10 gearing

3) the highboy came factory lifted with it bolt up to the bronco.

4) the bronco has a automatic and the highboy is a manual trans. what do i do to get it to work i.e bracketry and bolting up underneath.

has anyone done this swap b4 and if so do you have any pics of it. if it all works out this is gonna be a **** of a truck. thanks for the help in advance.

1 month left till i get to see my family

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
First of all "Thank you very much for your service to our great Country" and thanks to your wife and family for their commitment to your deployment as well! As for your question about a 390"FE" swap and suspension exchange and all, wait! Fords' FE motors are pretty stout torque motors due to their tall and skinny intake runners, but the intake choices for those motors aint ALL that spectacular. Couple that with the tendencies of the exhaust manifolds on these heads being "NOTORIOUS" for breaking the top bolts off in the heads and having rampant exhaust leaks. (Especially if you run headers!) Well...all of THAT, and I've never had a dang bit of luck makin' the valve cover gaskets keep a seal at the point where the intake and head join under 'em. That's due mainly to the fact that gettin' the intake and heads to match up at the same height is next to impossible with an aftermarket aluminum intake. I don't mean to sound like I'm raggin' on your motor choice, I'm just bringin' up some of the more known issues that are irritating about the FE series! Your results may vary.
wink.gif
Other than that they're stout motors that make a gob of torque and hellacious flat line horsepower curve! Either way- it's your money. It's your motor AND you're buildin' this beast...SO good luck with it! Above ALL else - Don't take ANYTHING that I say as the Gospel Truth either. Do your own research and use plenty of Bing and Google time before you nail anything down.
whistle.gif
Okay? I,personally, have never laid eyes on a Bronco rigged up with a divorced transfer case- so I can't make any intelligent commentary on that either way. You "could" try and find another manual tranny that has the "married" type transfer case tail piece, crossmember and mount, if you were **** bent on keeping the hand shaker! Then mate the NP205(?) up to the tranny and hang it where it goes along with all the retrofitted mounts/crossmembers and what not. That'll allow you to use the manual. Again, I reiterrate, do your OWN research to verify what, IF anything I've stated here is true.
please.gif
Or, you could toss the stick and just put your C-6 back up behind the 390 and use all the original transfer case/drivetrain pieces. Man...that sounds a whole lot easier to me, but then again, like I said "you're humpin' this monkey" so it's all your call. Don't forget the different motor mounts/perches that you "MIGHT" need in order to transplant the FE into the 351M/400M series cradle!!! You "COULD" do a "big block swap" search on these boards and disiminate all that information yourself.
lying.gif
I DO strongly recommend that you balance AND weigh all the different intel you gather here against info you can easily find elsewhere on the internet. Like I said, do searches on "swaps", drivetrain transfers and such as that. I like the axles you mentioned, as far as them being "HEAVY DUTY" and all,
cool.gif
and yes, the fact that they're straight axles up front is cool. Just remember that the Broncos' came with coil springs, either single shock or with the"quad" shock/spring option. You didn't say whether the "highboy", as you called it, front axle was a leafer OR a coil springer! So,
rolleyes.gif
I'll leave that assumption alone.
no.gif
Well....once again I've written what seems like a College exit thesis on this subject when it probably could've just been a simple smart a$$ response like some folks give out so freely on boards like this-BUT I aint built like that!!
nono.gif
Again, on behalf of my family AND myself: thanks so much for your service to our Country. God bless you and yours!
peace.gif
Good luck and loads of fun with your Bronco's and the projects you'll surely jump in to with 'em.

OP
OP
R

rdbrnc96

Reaction score
i do appreciate the info makes alot of sense to me i guess ill keep the 400 big block it seems like they are run very well and easy to build up and as long as you keep them cool. ill keep the axles as is and keep the others for back up. it sure does seem like the transfer case would be a headache i guess ill sell it for a lift kit along with the transmission. the suspension wont work now that i have researched it more just thought that the frames were pretty much the same just a lil shorter. seems like it would be alot of cutting and welding. broncos are pretty tough and i've been told that the 78 and 79 are as good as it gets when used off road i think ill just get a lift kit, put some lockers in it, throw a winch on it, and a set of tires and see how it rides thanks for the info was alot of help when i get back ill post pics when i am done with it

p.s thanks for the patience and not being an axx hole

btw its a 75 highboy f250 factory lifted ive researched the vin

ElileFabMan

Reaction score
First of all "Thank you very much for your service to our great Country" and thanks to your wife and family for their commitment to your deployment as well! As for your question about a 390"FE" swap and suspension exchange and all, wait! Fords' FE motors are pretty stout torque motors due to their tall and skinny intake runners, but the intake choices for those motors aint ALL that spectacular. Couple that with the tendencies of the exhaust manifolds on these heads being "NOTORIOUS" for breaking the top bolts off in the heads and having rampant exhaust leaks. (Especially if you run headers!) Well...all of THAT, and I've never had a dang bit of luck makin' the valve cover gaskets keep a seal at the point where the intake and head join under 'em. That's due mainly to the fact that gettin' the intake and heads to match up at the same height is next to impossible with an aftermarket aluminum intake. I don't mean to sound like I'm raggin' on your motor choice, I'm just bringin' up some of the more known issues that are irritating about the FE series! Your results may vary.
wink.gif
Other than that they're stout motors that make a gob of torque and hellacious flat line horsepower curve! Either way- it's your money. It's your motor AND you're buildin' this beast...SO good luck with it! Above ALL else - Don't take ANYTHING that I say as the Gospel Truth either. Do your own research and use plenty of Bing and Google time before you nail anything down.
whistle.gif
Okay? I,personally, have never laid eyes on a Bronco rigged up with a divorced transfer case- so I can't make any intelligent commentary on that either way. You "could" try and find another manual tranny that has the "married" type transfer case tail piece, crossmember and mount, if you were **** bent on keeping the hand shaker! Then mate the NP205(?) up to the tranny and hang it where it goes along with all the retrofitted mounts/crossmembers and what not. That'll allow you to use the manual. Again, I reiterrate, do your OWN research to verify what, IF anything I've stated here is true.
please.gif
Or, you could toss the stick and just put your C-6 back up behind the 390 and use all the original transfer case/drivetrain pieces. Man...that sounds a whole lot easier to me, but then again, like I said "you're humpin' this monkey" so it's all your call. Don't forget the different motor mounts/perches that you "MIGHT" need in order to transplant the FE into the 351M/400M series cradle!!! You "COULD" do a "big block swap" search on these boards and disiminate all that information yourself.
lying.gif
I DO strongly recommend that you balance AND weigh all the different intel you gather here against info you can easily find elsewhere on the internet. Like I said, do searches on "swaps", drivetrain transfers and such as that. I like the axles you mentioned, as far as them being "HEAVY DUTY" and all,
cool.gif
and yes, the fact that they're straight axles up front is cool. Just remember that the Broncos' came with coil springs, either single shock or with the"quad" shock/spring option. You didn't say whether the "highboy", as you called it, front axle was a leafer OR a coil springer! So,
rolleyes.gif
I'll leave that assumption alone.
no.gif
Well....once again I've written what seems like a College exit thesis on this subject when it probably could've just been a simple smart a$$ response like some folks give out so freely on boards like this-BUT I aint built like that!!
nono.gif
Again, on behalf of my family AND myself: thanks so much for your service to our Country. God bless you and yours!
peace.gif
Good luck and loads of fun with your Bronco's and the projects you'll surely jump in to with 'em.

ElileFabMan

Reaction score
I hope someone can answer a question for me.I bought a 1978 Bronco XLT Ranger last week.Found it at the back of a used car lot.It's red and white and is in good condition (no rust or major dents)It is a one owner with 127,000 miles on it.When get it home I get my pressure washer out to get the mildew off and clean the chassis and suspension and got a huge surprise.When I went to spray the undercarriage I saw it has a NP205 divorced transfer case under it.I called my friend over that has a vast knowledge of 1979 and back Broncos and F150's.We look it over for about 2 hours and he says that the best he can figure is it is factory.He said it has all the right cross members braces and brackets.The rear shaft is shorter an the front shaft is longer.It has the correct coupler from the C6 to the transfer case.The old man that owned it has dementia and is 86 years old and don't know or don't remember much.I actually bought it from his daughter who says her dad did not have much mechanical ability and always let the dealership do any work it needed.If this Bronco was changed over to this it would serve no special purpose or advantage would it?Could this be a one of a kind?We all want a one of a kind of car or truck at sometime in our lives.I've talked to James Duff,LMC,Bronco Grave Yard and Dennis Carpenter all the local 4x4 shops and Ford dealerships in my area and everyone is baffled by it.I'm doing a complete tune up and fluid change.Having the radiator vatted and installing all new shocks and all new bushings.Bought a new set of tires today so it will be able to travel because i'm driving it to James Duffs place in Knoxville as soon as I can.I am also taking it to the Spring Auto Fair in Charlotte.If any one knows anything about it please let me know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23