4wd Messed Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Bronco

Reaction score
I have manual hubs and a stick 4wd shifter, in my 83. I havent ever really used the 4WD, ,but the other day i put it into 4 high, and drove it, there is no noise when i go straight, but when i turn the wheels theres this horrible clicking (im not sure how to describe it) noise from the front wheels. Its not really a grinding sound... but its bad. Whats wrong? and do i need to fix it? thanks

~sarah

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Sarah,

It sounds like you may have a hub problem.

Sometimes this can be caused by using too thick of a grease in the hub, not allowing the sliding mechanism to "lock" the hub.

Provided that you have no other issues with axle u-joints, (a seized u-joint cap can cause any thing from a "click" to a violent pull to one side)

The next day you have some time in the shop, get out the manual and tear down the locking hubs.

Clean out all the grease. Look for any broken or chipped parts.

If you don't find any broken pieces, lubricate the hubs and dials with a spray type grease, either white lithium or red grease ( I prefer the red)

If you don't have access to spray grease, use an engine assembly ****.

Do not pack the hubs like you would a wheel bearing, just coat all the pieces so they slide easily.

Re assemble the hubs and go for a test drive.

To check the axle u-joints, lock the hubs and turn the wheels. Jack up the front of the truck, and slowly rotate the tires by hand, if you notice a drag or the tire gets hard to turn, mark the u-joint cap that you can see through the knuckle. Continue rotating the tire, if you get the same drag or if the tire gets hard to turn at the same place, you have a bad u-joint. I have seen u-joints that were rusted enough to actually try and straighten the tires as the axle turned. (this will cause the violent pull I mentioned earlier.)

Good luck.

Gunner

Reaction score
hmmmmmm sounds to me like there is nothing wrong. if the hubs are locked and you turn your car on cement than the outside wheel turns faster than the inside so catch up and you have to make up for it somehow by slipping. my bronco does the same thing along with every other 4wd i have ever owned. now if it does it in dirt or mud than you have a problem. but doing it on cement is normal. its not good for your hubs at all which is why you should never drive on cement in 4wd but normal. but thats just my .02

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK