460 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start on another 460 swap and wondered if anyone here had additional info. The last two that I did I used Lincoln engines, First one I picked up a Brand-X swap kit that was just engine mounts & an oil pan. I used the L&L fenderwell headers and redrilled the 351M accessory mounts. After screwing around for a couple months trying to get my belts to run straight I caved in & bought the L&L accessory brackets and was done with it. Second time around I just bought the whole L&L kit.

This time I'm looking at a Ford 460 from a large cube van (don't know what year but it looks like an 80's model). I seem to remember that the first time I did this the oil pan I got had a van part #. What I'm hoping is that this one I spotted will have a rear sump pan that I can use and being a Ford van engine rather than something out of a car I'm hoping that the front accessories will work as-is without needing the L&L brackets. If it'll work then all I need from L&L will be the motor mounts & headers which saves me a lot compared to the whole kit.

Anyone know if this'll work or are the F-truck 460's the only ones that will bolt right in with nothing more than motor mounts & exhaust manifolds ??

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
One of our local fellow broncomaniacs put a 460 in his 79 from a church van E-350, but it was an 88/89 with EFI. Those models work fine, I think only the older car motors with a front sump oil pan will be a problem when swapping into the bronco. there seems to be at least half a dozen different acc bracket set-ups thru the years, even on 80-up motors. But it is possible to convert the Fi back over to a carb, like I did with my 88 F-350 460. This dude's church van motor was converted to propane for awhile, then back to carb. JSM84

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, that's the beauty of this one (for me at least), it's a carb'd engine to begin with. That's why I'm guessing the van is an early/mid year 80's. I hadn't seen it in the yard before *because* it has a nice running carb'd 460. The owner didn't want to put it out with the general population just to see it scavenged for parts so he's been keeping it tucked away & pointed it out to me when I asked. He's asking $400 for it complete. The only downside that I'm seeing is that it's a nice running engine because it's a rebuild, which of course means someone already probably took the bore out to .020". I've been looking around the past few weeks and the only off-the shelf pistons I'm finding are .020" and .080" now of course I can still go .030"(assuming it cleans up with just .010"), .040" or .060" but any one of those sizes will be custom meaning an additional $30 or so per piston. I'd rather not take it out to .080" just to save a couple hundred bucks. I'm just hoping the front dress will work without needing the L&L stuff.

Yardape

Reaction score
One plus with the van accessories is it should have a sag PS pump. If you have the complete donor and keep all the accessories it should work just fine.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Ebay is a good place to get rebuild parts I just bought a full set of silvolite pistons and hastings moly rings for my 429 for $50 shipped brand new . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

smittybronco

Reaction score
as far as the motor mounts i have never had to buy new ones for the 460 swap.. i have used the 351m/400 mounts for all my 460 swaps which is around about 5 now...u can reuse the stock manifolds and have someone redo ur exhaust runing it above ur cross member around ur driveshaft...

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Cool, good to know. Chances are though that I'll still go with the L&L mounts. The first time I pulled this swap I used stock 460 mounts with L&L headers and had problems with the collectors banging against the body mounts. It got so bad I had to notch the passenger side body mount to have enough clearance for the collector. I think the L&L mounts locate the engine a bit lower down to provide clearance for the fenderwell headers. I considered using the stock exhaust manifolds temporarily until I got the headers but both of my previous swaps used Lincoln engines and the manifolds were all wrong. The exit was in the middle & pointed straight down like a block-hugger header. It would have required some custom bent pipes to bolt up to the remains of the stock exhaust on the Bronco. I found a set of truck manifolds and those would have worked because the exit was in the rear and angled down & back instead of straight down but by then I had the cash for the headers. I haven't picked this 460 up yet so I honestly don't know just what the van manifolds look like but I'd really prefer to run a set of fenderwell headers with this one also.

Right now what I'm most concerned with is the front accessories. I'm not getting the alternator with the engine but I *can* have the bracket and I'm getting the Saginaw PS pump & it's bracket. I'm hoping the van setup will work with the Bronco/F-truck engine compartment meaning I won't need to get the brackets from L&L and that will save me some cash. I'm also hoping the van oil pan will work too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23