351 Cooling solve all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tufenuf

Reaction score
I have a 380Hp windsor in my 74 bronco and have done everything to cool it. Howe aluminum radiator, cut fender wells out, wrap headers with tape, Hi-flow aluminum waterpump flow kooler, 160 degree thermostat,Race fan Be Cool 2300 cfm elec. pusher fan. No matter what I did it would over heat in line at the dunes typically 240-245 degrees, when running it hard would run 195-200 which was acceptable.

I took the advise of someone on this forum and drilled the rear of my intake to allow the coolant to be pulled out of the back of the motor. Twenty dollars later at the hardware store for parts to completet this task and it know runs at 160 degrees all day. I am going to change the thermo. now but WOW what a difference.

I was told by numerous people that this would not work and they were wrong. I would highly suggest this as a cure if you are having the same problems. Twenty dollars is alot better than the 700+ dollars i spent before finally breaking down and drilling the intake.

There is a how to on this site with pictures but I would be glad to provide instruction and pics if you would like.

Thanks a ton and see ya on the dunes!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, I remember that mod and wanting to do it to my 84 351W H.O. Unfortunately, I blew an intake gasket and bent two connecting rods turning that motor into a boat anchor. Btu when I pulled off the intake that I installed 2 years prior, the back water ports were totally clogged with scale. I would be interested in pics or a link to the write-up for future reference, JSM84

OP
OP
T

tufenuf

Reaction score
Yes, I remember that mod and wanting to do it to my 84 351W H.O. Unfortunately, I blew an intake gasket and bent two connecting rods turning that motor into a boat anchor. Btu when I pulled off the intake that I installed 2 years prior, the back water ports were totally clogged with scale. I would be interested in pics or a link to the write-up for future reference, JSM84

Here is the link to classic bronco that I used. There is one on the bronco zone as well but I could not find it. This shows the mod on a two barrell intake but you will get the idea and it will give you the stuff you will need from the hardware or local napa. I also attached an email that I also recieved with a pic that looks exactly like I did mine. I don't have any pics of mine but will try and do it tonight and get them on this post.

http://classicbroncos.com/manifold_cooling.shtml

351_crossover.BMP

Good Luck!

Orangecrush

Reaction score
I have a 380Hp windsor in my 74 bronco and have done everything to cool it. Howe aluminum radiator, cut fender wells out, wrap headers with tape, Hi-flow aluminum waterpump flow kooler, 160 degree thermostat,Race fan Be Cool 2300 cfm elec. pusher fan. No matter what I did it would over heat in line at the dunes typically 240-245 degrees, when running it hard would run 195-200 which was acceptable.
I took the advise of someone on this forum and drilled the rear of my intake to allow the coolant to be pulled out of the back of the motor. Twenty dollars later at the hardware store for parts to completet this task and it know runs at 160 degrees all day. I am going to change the thermo. now but WOW what a difference.

I was told by numerous people that this would not work and they were wrong. I would highly suggest this as a cure if you are having the same problems. Twenty dollars is alot better than the 700+ dollars i spent before finally breaking down and drilling the intake.

There is a how to on this site with pictures but I would be glad to provide instruction and pics if you would like.

Thanks a ton and see ya on the dunes!
Man, you've got to be kidding me! I'm going to try and look at the photos and do that mod myself. My bronco is setup as a street machine, with A/C. The Southern Cal summers get 110+. With the a/c on, the water gets to 205-208 cruising on the freeway. As soon as you slow down or come to a stoplight...hello 220. That's with the 7-blade fan, dual auxiliary pushers, Howe aluminum radiator with 75% water, 25% water wetter! I always assumed it was just lack of airflow through the engine compartment, plus the fact that windsors just get too hot. I want to believe this mod is the answer!! Can it be done without removing the manifold? I can't imagine why not. Any help and detailed instructions (blow by blow with pics if possible) would be GREATLY appreciated! If this solves it, I'll be one happy guy.

Setup:

351W

RV Cam

Edelbrock performer dual plane

stock exhaust manifolds

Speed Demon 650

A/C

Howe aluminum racing radiator

7-blade rv puller fan

dual 650 cfm pusher auxiliary fans

Thanks!

Puerto_Vallarta_and_Bronco_061.jpg