235/75/R15 Tires on 1989 Bronco 2 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajbremer

Reaction score
Can I put 235/75R15's on my 1989 Bronco 2 XLT and have clearance all around? If you know, what's the largest 15" tire I can get on there safely?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran 31/10.50s on my 1990. Had new rear springs otherwise it was stock. Everyone told me they should rub but they didn't.

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Can I put 235/75R15's on my 1989 Bronco 2 XLT and have clearance all around? If you know, what's the largest 15" tire I can get on there safely?
It depends on what you mean by safe.

When you go over stock height with any vehicle, the taller the tire, the more the vehicle's center of gravity rises, and with the B2 that can get you into trouble on the road with short radius turns and quick lane changes at speed, especially with a lightly loaded vehicle. Off road, when moving at much slower speeds it isn't as much of a factor.

I've got a set of 235/75-R15's with a wide open tread pattern on my 1986-with no spring mods or lift. They are 28.9" tall and 9.3" max width, with plenty of clearance. When I used to deliver newspapers with a light load, driving curves on gravel roads that didn't have compensating off camber grading, the B2 would get tippy. Scared me good the first time it happened on the no-shoulder narrow gravel road where the embankment was straight down about 70 feet. The next day I put 6 or 8, 4" solid concrete 8" x 16" blocks where the rear seat used to be.

31/10.5'S are about 2" taller and 1" wider than 235/75's so it raises the center of gravity another 1". Mount a heavy roof rack and put a spare tire or 2 on it and you're asking for trouble on the road-unless you go with wheels significantly more offset to the outside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ajbremer

Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by safe.

When you go over stock height with any vehicle, the taller the tire, the more the vehicle's center of gravity rises, and with the B2 that can get you into trouble on the road with short radius turns and quick lane changes at speed, especially with a lightly loaded vehicle. Off road, when moving at much slower speeds it isn't as much of a factor.

I've got a set of 235/75-R15's with a wide open tread pattern on my 1986-with no spring mods or lift. They are 28.9" tall and 9.3" max width, with plenty of clearance. When I used to deliver newspapers with a light load, driving curves on gravel roads that didn't have compensating off camber grading, the B2 would get tippy. Scared me good the first time it happened on the no-shoulder narrow gravel road where the embankment was straight down about 70 feet. The next day I put 6 or 8, 4" solid concrete 8" x 16" blocks where the rear seat used to be.

31/10.5'S are about 2" taller and 1" wider than 235/75's so it raises the center of gravity another 1". Mount a heavy roof rack and put a spare tire or 2 on it and you're asking for trouble on the road-unless you go with wheels significantly more offset to the outside.
Thanks for that great information!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo