1996 Bronco rear bumper replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zugs

Reaction score
So I'm new to bronco's but I found one here in Hawaii and love it.  The guy who sold it to me had already replace some parts and had some parts for it he gave me when I bought it.  One of those was a custom rear bumper.  So my question is:  I need a rear bumper mounting kit, where can I get one ( order online ) and which one will I need.  Sorry if this is not clear enough info but I'm pretty new to this turning wrench thing.  I'm learning though. 

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone!

Never feel bad for asking any question because we are always here to help. I would love to see a picture or the custom rear bumper just to make sure that the factory mounting parts would beable to attatch the bumper.

and while you have your camera out snap a pic of the Bronco and share it with us too. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
Sorry about the huge picture, its been awhile since I linked anything to photobucket!.  As for the Bronco I'll link it later, as its dark here.  I'll grab a picture or two tomorrow and throw them up!

Seabronc

Reaction score
A picture of the inside of it would be more help.  I had a similar one to that which mounted directly to the frame, no mounting kit.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
Sorry its taken me a bit to get back.  So the picture were you see 2 holes is the back side of the bumper.  The stock bumper pretty much looks to have the same design but there is a plate that has bolts for the 2 holes then it extends upwards from the bumper and there are 3 holes for bolts that are connected to the Bronco.  The mounting kit is not re usable or i'd just use the parts already present. 

So the link below is the part I think I need.

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/ford-bronco-95600-rear-bumper-mounting-kit-westin/avnZhnAyd46hwiAqIbdZw

as for the bronco here it is:

Bronco1.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
So today she when down to a place that deals with jeeps and other off road type trucks. I'm getting her brakes, struts, suspension, and the rear seat in place.  I'm going to order the mounting bracket and let you guys know how it goes. 

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a clean Forest Service Green Bronco!

Seeing the Bumper now, the Factory kit should work just fine.

OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
I'll let you guys know how it turns out.  It'll be a few days due to having to ship and such.

OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
So I went to order the bumper part today and its as much to ship it as to buy it.... I'm heading to napa tomorrow to see if they can do it with out doubling the price.  On another note I seem to have fixed the high RPM issue by cleaning the IAC and replacing the seal.  Also I wanted to see who could tell me what this part is.  its right beside the battery and is basically falling apart.  Its plastic, and looks like the follow: (its right beside the battery, right side)

81c667bd-2b9d-4014-a57e-06463ffa56ac.jpg

Here is another pic for a bit more reference:Badpart2.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
tiny bump for what the heck is the part beside the battery!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Don't see what you are asking about.  Could you use a program like paint to circe the part?

OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
80fd1f25-8066-4f47-a0ef-6720b9de6588.jpg

This might help I tried to leave a little bit of the battery in there as a reference.  The wiring is ok its the rectangular box that you see the top of there.  it appears to have 2 separate sides in the one unit.  Its seems to be all plastic and is basically falling apart.  I have no idea what it does or doesn't do. 

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK, that is a carbon canister.  It is part of the vapor emissions system which also equalizes the pressure in the gas tank when your truck sets out in the hot sun.  When you first start the engine it relieves the excess vapor build up.  The system then shuts it off so it won't draw gas through the vapor system.  Hope that makes sense.  In the diagram of a carbed engine below it is the black system at the bottom left. You should be able to see it in your vacuum diagram that is usually located on the radiator frame.

Good luck,

1985 Diagram Color Enhanced.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Z

Zugs

Reaction score
hmmm that sounds important lol.  It hasn't effected the truck as of yet, but as you can see its pretty much gone.  Any thoughts on how hard this is to replace and its effects on the vehicle in its current shape?

Seabronc

Reaction score
It won't show any effect on operation.  Just don't plug the line from the gas tank, as it provides pressure equalization.  That is important when the truck is setting in a hot sun.  it also helps prevent tank collapse when a hot tank cools off.  It is not just for evaporative emissions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23