1995 Ford Bronco- 5.8 Hard Shifting, and overdrive light flashing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95broncolife

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 95 ford bronco 5.8- Serviced transmission, replaced rear end speed sensor, and it is shifting hard and my speedometer isnt working. RPM & Gas & Temp is tho.
I replaced a fuse for the Speed CPntrol & Automatic Transmission Lock because it was blew, i put a new one, drove it, and it blue again. Any ideas on where to start?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 95broncolife,
Welcome!
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is as you know, the LED with an overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The transmission control switch is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650). The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation.
The TCIL indicates:
overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), The PCM will turn on the TCIL to indicate that the overdrive cancel mode has been selected.
Or electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing).

PSOM & Odometer Not Working "..due to Dome/Map Lamp Short (mounting ***** short); fuse 8 blows; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 in 94-95 Bronco & Trucks
Source: by Ford via Steve83

Our 96 had same symptoms until the 4WABS Module's microprocessors finally burnt-out. I had one go bad and 2 yard Modules were also bad; so I jumpered the Module out as Turbo Ghost describes below.
To bypass the 4WABS module @ it's harness's connector & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM; "...jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y) to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB) to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)...";
Source: by Turbo Ghost at How to bypass the 4wabs module for troubleshooting
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/thre...-around-need-help-please.425385/#post-6066425

See this 96 Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual partial @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a24.htm#extract_1037
Select the Harsh Category that applies from:
  • Harsh Reverse Only
  • Harsh Forward Only
  • Delayed/Soft Reverse Only
  • Delayed/Soft Forward Only
  • No Forward and No Reverse Only
  • Harsh Forward and Reverse
  • Delayed/Soft Forward and Reverse
209​
309​
Shift Concerns
  • Some or All Shifts Missing
  • Timing Concerns
    • Early/Late (Some/All)
    • Erratic/Hunting (Some/All)
  • Feel Concerns
    • Soft/Slipping (Some/All)
    • Harsh (Some/All)
  • No 1st Gear in Drive, Engages in Higher Gear
  • No Manual 1st Gear
  • No Manual 2nd Gear

217​

317​
Torque Converter Clutch Operation Concerns
  • No Apply
  • Always Applied/Stalls Vehicle
  • Cycling/Shudder/Chatter
242​
342​
Other Concerns
  • Shift Lever Efforts High
  • External Leaks
  • Poor Vehicle Performance
  • Noise/Vibration — Forward or Reverse
  • Engine Will Not Crank
  • No Park Range
  • Overheating
  • No Engine Braking in Manual 2 Position Only
  • No Engine Braking in Manual 1 Position Only
  • No Engine Braking with Overdrive Cancelled
  • Fluid Venting or Foaming
261​
361​
Reference
Pressure Chart
Check Ball Chart
Band/Clutch Application Chart
Solenoid Operation Chart​

—​
701​
(a) Perform electrical routines first

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

EEC AKA PCM, computer stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.
The EEC will tell you what it found out by testing your sensors, and also any stored information it saved from anything that went wrong during the last 40 trips.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.
Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.
BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS
Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD 1 Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1995 Ford Bronco

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMomAl

z4hundy

Reaction score
Hey man, saw your post and had the same issues. Just about replaced every sensor related to the trans before I took it to my local transmission shop. There’s a ghost that lives in the guage cluster (PSOM), after a while the soldering, breaks down & resistors go bad. I removed my guage cluster and sent it to https://modulemechanics.com/
They worked out all of the kinks, trucks never run better, hope this helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno