1995 bronco, 2017 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco95ks

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1995 ford bronco and got a pretty good deal on it and so far i love the thing. Its had a fair amount of work done on it, lifted, trans rebuild, and everything under the hood including the engine. From the paperwork i have a 5.0 R&R engine with the paperwork saying there was a $3k downpayment on the motor. My issue currently is that im not getting power where i feel i should. On the slightest incline i struggle to get faster than 35mph and when its hot i really struggle. The shifting feels a little off and the power is being delivered at awkward times. Someone mentioned a cold air intake but i was seeing if anyone out there understands whats going on and can help me out because i love the thing but i live in kansas and its barely warm out and im struggling so im not sure it can survive a summer like this. Any questions/suggestions/answers?

OP
OP
B

Bronco95ks

Reaction score
20190427_195534.jpg

Recently had an incident with the hood and the garage door so now im running 2 hoodpins and a partially folded hood and ive swapped out the mirrors for some old school manual folding mirrors. Running no exhaust so its nice n loud. Super clean inside. I love the thing and always open to ideas and suggestions. Im here to learn

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Check for KOEO and KOER codes and see what comes up. What your discrabing sounds like a limp mode due to something not working. sensor or failed part.

sinker4

Reaction score
My 95, 5.0 with E4OD trans would shift hard, knock and have no power after much trouble shooting I found that the PSOM { programmable speedometer odometer module | was bad. Poor solder connections. Its part of the cluster. Google it for more info

Redial

Reaction score
Check the temps before and after the catalytic converter. mine was stopped up and doing the same.

BroncoAZ

Reaction score
View attachment 21623

Recently had an incident with the hood and the garage door so now im running 2 hoodpins and a partially folded hood and ive swapped out the mirrors for some old school manual folding mirrors. Running no exhaust so its nice n loud. Super clean inside. I love the thing and always open to ideas and suggestions. Im here to learn

Good looking rig except for the cancer. My 1996 Sport suffered the same fate in Massachusetts. I wish I‘d had my 1996 Sport in AZ and it didn’t rot away. My 87 is rust free, but has some rock rash from proper off-roading.
7E6F9554-07AB-4173-9596-6BA65215CB1C.jpeg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bronco95ks,
WELCOME!

E4OD is equipped, Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is it flashing while driving?
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

Inspect the air cleaner and inlet ducting. KCheck all engine vacuum hoses for damage, leaks, cracks, blockage, proper routing, etc. Check EEC system including the wiring harness for proper connections, bent or broken pins, corrosion, loose wires, proper routing, etc. Check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), sensors and actuators for physical damage. TPS, ICM, DISTRIBUTOR, etc. Check the engine coolant for proper level and mixture. Check the transmission fluid & engine oil level and quality. Make all necessary repairs before continuing with SELF TEST.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.
□•□

⚠️➡️ ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver
Al

sinker4

Reaction score
Here are a couple of links for PSOM issues

or call Southern Speedometer in Clearwater Fla. They are the shop that fixed mine

OP
OP
B

Bronco95ks

Reaction score
So good news. I installed a couple parts and learned i had a bad spark plug and some of the sparkplug wires were crossed. New wires, couple other parts and now she runs like a dream. Its like a whole new car. Im so ******** happy with it. I guess my next question is..is the k&n $320 air intake worth it or is there some cheaper or better options. I also learned i have a 5.0 small block high output engine so any suggestions on more power and cleaner shifting

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Bronco95ks

Reaction score
Been told yes and no. Best price is getting the trick flow version.

My best set up I've used is the 460/300 air ducting with the k&n drop in and and the best results
Can you do me a favor and send the link to the k&n your using?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke