1989 5.0 XLT No Start (Manual Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Swank

So, a few days ago I was working on the wiring for my tailgate window switch and had the part of the dash with the rear window switch/windshield wiper motor pulled open to run a multi meter on the switch. The WW switch was loose and I was aware, but with the key turned to 'on' in the ignition, the dash lights/radio/etc started to turn on and off multiple times and the wiper switch began to spark and smoke.

I immediately turned the key to 'off', disassembled the WW switch and unplugged it from the harness, and proceeded to pack everything up for the night in regards to the tailgate issue. A few minutes later, I went to start my Bronco to go park it and when I turned the key to 'start', nothing happened-no power to the radio, no warning lights, no clicks, no cranks, nothing.

Since it happened, I've checked every fuse, the ECC and fuel pump relays, the closest wires to the WW switch Incident (for burned wires), used my jumper cables as a makeshift ground cable from the battery while trying to start, jumped the start solenoid using a screwdriver while someone else turned the key over (starter works fine; it cranks but still doesn't start), pulled the ignition switch off and taken apart (also looks fine), and checked several other grounds I've found.

Today we tested the ignition switch power and found there were several points where there was no voltage running through the harness; I know there has to be a blown wire somewhere. On a side note, my headlights and power locks still work so I know that the battery is not the issue. I started the painstaking task of tracing wires from the ignition switch tonight, and will continue tomorrow.

My question is, has anyone else had anything similar happen to theirs, and could offer a good point of reference for me to start focusing on checking? I'm four days in to figuring this out (outside of work) and am starting to really get frustrated. Thanks 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Swank,

Welcome!

See Wiring Diagrams in an 89
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums - Also read my post in that thread.

Here is the 1989 EVTM, Emissions & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0Bz1eScc6s4raOHd0WlVnMUw4WjQ?usp=drive_web

Suggest you download for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

Open  EVTM. CLICK BLUE HORIZONTAL BAR AT TOP OF PAGE. A  SEGMENTED  SQUARE AND OTHER SYMBOLS WILL APPEAR. Click on square TO SEE TABLE OF CONTENTS. 

Grounds begin on page 5. 

Have you inspected Fusible links, especially G at starter relay?

Attached are samples from the EVTM except for ignition switch logic test.  

1989 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1989 Ford Bronco

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

I'll check back here later. 

Al

GL!

Screenshot_20191026-075837.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-080513.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-080710.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-080958.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-081929.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-082033.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-082243.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-082255.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-082142.jpg