1988 bronco timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco_addic

Reaction score
I have a 1988 ford bronco with a 5.0 EFI engine. I just replaced the distributor and I cant get the timing right. I did this when I rebuilt the engine and I am doing it the same way. If I remember correctly the procedure is to bring the #1 cylinder to TDC on compression stroke and TDC on the harmonic balance would be 0 correct? So with the timing mark on 0 and the cylinder on compression stroke the next step would be to point the rotor in the distributor to the #1 spark plug and set the firing order. That's what I've followed and the truck wont start and when it does it chugs about 3 times and dies. i know that it supposed to be set at 10 Before TDC with a timing light but I thought I remembered setting it at 0 first then firing it up. Is there something in the process I'm missing? Any help is appreciated!bronco4.pngbronco3.pngbronco2.pngbronco1.png

cowboyup351

Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Bronco_addic

Reaction score
I know it supposed to end up at 10 degrees BTDC but i thought I remebered setting it at 0 (TDC) and then using a timing light to get the 10 degrees. I could be remembering it wrong because my engine wont start now.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bronco_addic,

Ford 5.0 & 5.8 EFI Timing by sackman;

This is my routine and works every time. 
These first steps are to be able to fire it up without a timing light. These first directions are for new motor installs, or if you've pulled the distributor and didn't mark the distributor before removing it.
Step one.
Make sure auto trans is in Park and parking brake on, or if it's a manual trans in neutral and parking brake on (safety first). And leave the key removed from ignition as you don't want the engine to start while using this process.
Step two.
Make sure your timing marks are clean and can be read. These are located on the harmonic balancer. Clean them up with a wire brush or some sandpaper. Mark 10* BTDC with a white/yellow crayon. There will be two 10's showing, you want the red 10 below. The marks will look like:

ATC10||||0||||10||||20||||30BTC (Each "|" represents 2 degrees)

Step three.
Pull number one plug. It's the front plug on passenger side.
Step four. (This is where step one is IMPORTANT, if you don't believe me, go ask Garlic Bronco 
doh0715.gif
)

Using a screwdriver, bump the starter relay. When doing so, put a finger over the plug hole. As soon as you feel the big gush of air.......

Step five.
Locate your 10* BTC and this should be relatively close to your timing pointer. It might be before or slightly after. If it's before (spinning in clockwise direction), turn it so the 10*BTC lines up with the pointer like so. If it went past the timing pointer, then you can either turn it counter clockwise to meet the mark, or spin the crank so that the 10*BTC mark passes the timing pointer once (going clockwise) and stopping on the timing pointer on the second spin (clockwise).

TimingMarks6.jpg

This should be number 1 compression stroke.
Most people will recommend stabbing the distributor at 0*TDC. This thread is about how I do this, every time.

Notice something here. And this is why I do this at 10*BTC and not 0*TDC:
ATC10||||0||||10||||20||||30BTC<------notice 10*BTC is centered
ATC10||||0||||10||||20||||30BTC<------notice 0*TDC is not centered.

If stabbing the distributor at 0*TDC, and positioning the distributor so that the ignition module(if equipped) is pointing at a 45* (towards driver's headlight), then the stab wasn't centered. Positioning at 10*BTC, your centered on the timing marks, and centered on the stab of the distributor. This allows maximum EQUAL advance and retarding on the timing. Not more one way than the other which in turn can affect you getting it running on the first time.

Step six.
Grab the distributor and cap, and make a mark on the distributor plastic base for contact number one. This mark will be in the same spot as in this picture. Going by the ***** in the picture, number one will be just to the left of the ***** as seen by the black mark in the picture. Make a mark like so.

TimingMarks7-1.jpg

Step seven.
Time to drop the distributor in. Start the drop so the rotor is to the left of the black mark, ignition module at 45* angle. Now when the distributor gear marries the cam gear, the rotor will spin clockwise. You want to drop it in so the left tip of the rotor is about to make contact with the black mark like seen in the picture below when the distributor is fully seated. This will be real close to 10*BTC. And you'll be able to dial it in once running with a light. You also want to drop it in so that the ignition module (if equipped, if not, flat spot on distributor) is pointing at a 45 degree angle. Basically, aim it so it's pointing towards the driver's side head light. This will allow you maximum room to turn distributor both directions when setting final timing with a light. Then tighten the hold down bolt snug so the distributor turns but not to easily. 

TimingMarks8.jpg

If you have the distributor fully seated into the block, and rotor positioned as shown in photo above (left tip rotor meets contact point of number 1) then it's time to wire it up. If distributor isn't fully seated, it's most likely because the oil pump shaft didn't slide into the distributor. If this happens, turn the crank with a 15/16 socket & ratchet and it'll drop in once the distributor turns. Won't take much of a turn. Then tighten the hold down bolt snug so the distributor turns but not too easily.

Step eight.
Replace cap and wire it up. 13726548 is the Windsor firing order. 15426378 is the older 302 and non ** motors firing order. This may vary due to cam changes. But will be one or the other.

Now verify firing order again. Fire it up. 
biggthumpup.gif

If it runs good, time it with a light with the spout unplugged. 
twotu.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if you get a backfire, you passed up compression stroke for cylinder one. Your 180* out. Proceed to step nine. 

Step nine.
Pop the distributor cap, turn crank so the so that 10*BTC is lined up with the pointer, if rotor is pointing to the other side of the distributor 180* from black mark (cylinder 6), pull the distributor and repeat steps 7 and 8.

If rotor is pointing to number 1 (black mark), spin the crank once (so rotor is pointing to number 6 cylinder) and line up 10* BTC, pull the distributor, and repeat steps 7 and 8.
Good luck, this should get you going.
Photo's above, courtesy of Doomsmith 

Drz196800

Reaction score
Hello all, I have an 88 full size bronco with a v8 not sure if 5.0 or 5.8. What is the easiest way to tell? Trouble is was running fine on freeway then just died. Fuel pump and filter were done then someone put in new distro and wires, it turns over but won't start...... Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar