1980 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BADBLOODRUSH

Reaction score
i need some info i just got a 1980 bronco it has a 351w in it . when it in 2wheel driveit fills like there is no power but when you put it in 4 low the is alot of power is this how it should be? i allso got some 33buckshot on it and when i turn hard it rubs what is the best way to fix this there is no lift kit on it. how do i know what gears on in it and what should the gears should be in it.

Streetgang44

Reaction score
In 4LOW your gearing is set up for VERY low speed (like under 20 MPH) pulling....like getting a boat up a ramp....or plowing. I would NEVER use it to just drive around.

In 4HI you can get up to speed. but I never go over like 50 MPH.

The thing is I am not too sure what you mean when you say "no power" in 2HI. Your Bronco should have plenty of pep in that gear.

As far as the 33's go.....well you dont NEED a lift, but to avoid the rubbing you will have to trim the outside lower edge of the front bumper on both sides. Also.....watch they dont rub too ******* the radius arms.

To find what gears you have, you can look for a tag on the diff or axle, or look at the code on your door sticker. Depending on the year and trim.....you should have like 3.55 gears in the rear.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the "B" Zone!
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

Yes, it is normal to for the truck to feel lurchy in 4WL.

4WD recommendations,

1. You shouldn

Windchaser

Reaction score
#1-I would personally avoid spacers as they are ******* axles. To fix your rubbing problem, either don't turn that hard as Shadow said, or get you some wheels with deeper backspacing. You can pick them up pretty cheap ($35 a piece).

#2-4LO will feel real touchy on the pedal and have lots of power so that it can pull you through some sticky situations

#3- There are times when my 4HI feels doggy, or weak, but she gets better. Keep driving it, you'll probably get used to it.

#4- Like everyone else said, get the number off the tag on your pumpkinhead.

Good Luck Man :D/

chopaz

Reaction score
If you don't have a tag, you could remove the cover off the diff. Count the number of teeth on the ring gear and the number of teeth on the pinion. Then divide ring by the pinion.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Your 1980 Bronco should have a Ford 9" rear axle with 3.50 gears. There should be a tag on the front side on one of the bolts holding the center-section. It will be the same ratio up front as well. If you feel like the motor has more power in 4wd than in 2wd, I would check out the motor. With a proper tune-up and normal running condition, the 351W has about 140 HP. It won't burn rubber with the 33's, but should still do a 20-sec. 1/4 mile. Also check the carb and for any vacuum leaks. AS far as the rubbing, just do what others have said, don't turn at full lock, and go slow thru the dips. Worn out suspension parts, bushings or shocks will lower the front end a small bit, too.

OP
OP
B

BADBLOODRUSH

Reaction score
i made a mistake about the 351 windsor, the guy i bought if from told me that is what the engine was, however i have found out the actual motor is a 302..i just wanted to let you all know just in case it made any difference in my previous questions. Basically I am asking if the motor has anything to do with the bronco being sluggish in 2 wheel drive. and is more peppy in 4 wheel high and low.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Does your truck have a positraction rear end? This is just a shot in the dark, but I could see this problem if the truck had positraction and the clutches were bad. In that case they might tend to slip, just like transmission clutches slip. If that were the case, putting it in 4WD would make it respond better.

Another place to check on what the truck was shipped with is the axle code on the vehicle Safety Compliance sticker code, a 3.50 is code 16 and a limited slip axle is code H6. Ofcourse that is only good if no one has modified the axle.

As far as the gear ratio goes, if you don't have a tag, you can jack up the rear end, both wheels must be off the ground, so jack it up and place it on jack stands. Put a mark on the drive shaft. If it is a traction lock of some sort, turn one of the wheels slowly while watching the mark. Count the number of turns of the drive shaft. 3.5 will turn 3 and 1/2 turns. If it is an open differential you will need a friend to turn the other wheel at the same time and speed to get an accurate reading, good place to get your wife or girlfriend involved :rolleyes: .

Good luck,

:)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
By the tag numbers you give, the axle is a Ford 9" with a 3.00 gear ratio. The "3" is hidden by the bolt holding the tag.

That is the reason you don't have any power!!!

To double check, look for the tag on the front axle, as it will have the same ratio as the rear.

You can either go back to stock rims and 28" tires, or swap the gears for 4.10;! for the 33's and so forth.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23