1971 steering not tight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcl71

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 71 bronco that has slack in the steering . It's got what looks like a 3 in lift. When someone turns the wheel it looks like the drag link is rolling down . The joint is tight . It causes about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel. Just wondering if I have too much angle and need to put a drop Pittman arm. Thanks for any imput

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
J

Jcl71

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 71 bronco that has slack in the steering . It's got what looks like a 3 in lift. When someone turns the wheel it looks like the drag link is rolling down . The joint is tight . It causes about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel. Just wondering if I have too much angle and need to put a drop Pittman arm. Thanks for any imput

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 14

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but the pitman angle looks way off.

OP
OP
J

Jcl71

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. From what most treads say is as long as the two bars are parallel it should be good ??

chrlsful

Reaction score
bump steer occurs when the red bar and the very lowest bar R not para;;el. I can not C enuff of the whole geomitry. 1 thing, on a 3 inch lift no pitmen drop needed, more, yes. Is the arm supposed to point forward or back like U have it. Go to CB (classic broncos dot com & search the tech for a full view of ur whole frnt suspension. Match that...
May B geta pic from straight on, from center front, all of it btwn frnt wheels (lift may help). Have U taken a hand & grabbed the bars & wiggled? Lota of play? A jacked up side - hands at top/bottom of wheel push away/pull toward self rapidly changing direction - lota of play? same at 9 oclock & 3 oclock...(= a berrings, tie rods ck). Do to other side, same...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke