1356 tcase rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtp1201

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while. I am in need of some help. My drive shaft is really loose in the tail shaft housing of the tcase. Does anyone have any litature or other means to rebuild the tcase. I have it out and apart and the rear bushing fell out so I done know if I will need a new tailshaft. Can anyone point me in the right direction.Email me

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

From what I can find here in Search and looking @ your profile for Topics & Posts; it seems you have an E4OD and BW1356?

So, did you check the U joint yet?

Some replacement & U Joint R&R & pics by publicjohncue at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15446/52035:

d1.jpg

He wrote; "...unfasten the bolts and detach the driveshaft dual u-jount assembly from the transfercase. (note: the bolt heads are a 10 or 12 pointed head like a torx head but more points. I used a 11/32 12 pointed socket and a box end wrench to remove it...

u1.jpg

t1.jpg

1356 Manual Shift Rebuild in 87-91; "...This will be for a manual shift T Case 1356 from an 89 should cover 87 threw 91 . 92 through 96 are not equiped to drive a speedometer cable so the back case cover is a bit different..." Source: by BLADE262US at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, a little more that I left out

The Bronco rear driveshaft is of the double Cardan type which incorporates two universal joints, a driveshaft centering socket yoke (4782), and a driveshaft center yoke (4784) at the transfer case end of each shaft. A single universal joint is used at the axle end of the driveshaft.

e7158b.gif

OP
OP
J

jtp1201

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. What about actually rebuilding the tcase. My tailshaft bushing fell out so do I need to get a new tailshaft on the transfer case

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Miesk5 should have some info and diagrams on the 13-56 on his website if he doesn't post the links. I would not replace the "tailshaft" or rear output shaft unless it's damaged, like from falling onto the floor or being scored/ scratched where the bearings ride. The 13-56 is fairly easy to rebuild, esp. if you are onyl replacing seals 7 bearings or swapping shafts. I suggest checking the shift fork pads for wear, and check on the oil pump mounting tab problem common to that model t-case. The tab is part of the housing and easily wears down, leading to pump failure when that comes loose from the mount. Bronco Graveyard has the seal and bearing kits, JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. What about actually rebuilding the tcase. My tailshaft bushing fell out so do I need to get a new tailshaft on the transfer case
YW pal,

WHAT YEAR and tranfer case model (1356 ELECTRIC Shift (push buttons) or Manual Shift, tranny and Engine type do you have there jtp?

LOOK UP..

I posted this;

1356 Manual Shift Rebuild in 87-91; "...This will be for a manual shift T Case 1356 from an 89 should cover 87 threw 91 . 92 through 96 are not equiped to drive a speedometer cable so the back case cover is a bit different..." Source: by BLADE262US at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

For either 1356 TC, look in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=70 for many Repair/R&R Links as my friend, JSM84 mentioned.

GL!

OP
OP
J

jtp1201

Reaction score
YW pal,

WHAT YEAR and tranfer case model (1356 ELECTRIC Shift (push buttons) or Manual Shift, tranny and Engine type do you have there jtp?

LOOK UP..

I posted this;

For either 1356 TC, look in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=70 for many Repair/R&R Links as my friend, JSM84 mentioned.

GL! It is a 92 with and e4od and all manual shift my concern is the tailshaft housing bbecause the bushing just fell out as I removed the housing. Thanks for ur help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj