๐’๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ฐ๐ž๐ข๐ซ๐ ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ž๐ฌ, ๐š๐ง๐ฒ๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ ๐จ๐ญ ๐š๐ง๐ฒ ๐ข๐๐ž๐š๐ฌ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caden M

Reaction score
little info, itโ€™s a 5.8l v8 efi
So not that long ago the bronco would not start. So I checked spark and it had spark on all 8 cylinders, and it had plenty fuel pressure in the fuel rail. But when I turn the engine over it just turns and turns and nothing happens. But luckily starter fluid down the sucker allows it to fire right up. How it runs is awful, itโ€™s idle slowly creeps higher and higher stopping at what seemed to be 1500 but will go higher sometimes. Pressing the gas does nothing. I have lubricated the throttle body, cleaned the IAC and nothing has changed. And to add onto it when I put it in drive it sits at around 1k rpm and doesnโ€™t shift out of first gear in drive. Having a dad and a grandpa who has worked on old cars there hole life has them both stumped. Car has no engine codes or anything also. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
what year specifically is your rig?

right off the bat, i'd ask if there's a vac leak somewhere. i'd perhaps take a squirt bottle of water, get er started again and spray around any of the intake plenum to head, lower to upper plenum/throttle body to upper intake and see if you hear sucking/slurping sounds or a change in idle.

also worth noting, running codes anyways may not be a bad idea. these computers don't set a check engine light even though a code is stored much like post 1996 vehicles do. although often for something like a vac leak they won't anyways... (they really only throw codes for a pretty small list of issues.)

OP
OP
Caden M

Caden M

Reaction score
what year specifically is your rig?

right off the bat, i'd ask if there's a vac leak somewhere. i'd perhaps take a squirt bottle of water, get er started again and spray around any of the intake plenum to head, lower to upper plenum/throttle body to upper intake and see if you hear sucking/slurping sounds or a change in idle.

also worth noting, running codes anyways may not be a bad idea. these computers don't set a check engine light even though a code is stored much like post 1996 vehicles do. although often for something like a vac leak they won't anyways... (they really only throw codes for a pretty small list of issues.)
All of the vacuum lines are intact except for the small one that goes to the heater valve, but ever since Iโ€™ve bought the truck it has had that and ran just fine with it completely severed. I made sure all the vacuum connectors were snug that I could get too. Still wonโ€™t start, but Iโ€™m out of starter fluid at the moment. Any other ideas? Or vacuum lines I should take a second look at? Also itโ€™s a 90 5.8 efi Eddie bour

OP
OP
Caden M

Caden M

Reaction score
All of the vacuum lines are intact except for the small one that goes to the heater valve, but ever since Iโ€™ve bought the truck it has had that and ran just fine with it completely severed. I made sure all the vacuum connectors were snug that I could get too. Still wonโ€™t start, but Iโ€™m out of starter fluid at the moment. Any other ideas? Or vacuum lines I should take a second look at? Also itโ€™s a 90 5.8 efi Eddie bour
Correction, the heater valve I referenced is actually the vacuum motor which I looked up and it seems to be for something not related to the engine.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you visually checked the throttle body? Make sure the butterfly is closing all the way. Not sticking. Wiggle the input shaft see how sloppy it is. Make sure the cable is not holding it open.

Another thing I do when trouble shooting is loosen the EGR valve and stick a quarter behind it to block it off. It eliminates and bleeding issues there. Never made a difference for me, but have heard where it had for others.

Also how is your oil? Over full? Smell like gas? It could be scavenging gas fumes from the crank case.

How did this problem start? Has the truck been sitting for a few years? Or just started doing it one day? Gradual over time?

captsb890

Reaction score
So not that long ago the bronco would not start. So I checked spark and it had spark on all 8 cylinders, and it had plenty fuel pressure in the fuel rail. But when I turn the engine over it just turns and turns and nothing happens. But luckily starter fluid down the sucker allows it to fire right up. How it runs is awful, itโ€™s idle slowly creeps higher and higher stopping at what seemed to be 1500 but will go higher sometimes. Pressing the gas does nothing. I have lubricated the throttle body, cleaned the IAC and nothing has changed. And to add onto it when I put it in drive it sits at around 1k rpm and doesnโ€™t shift out of first gear in drive. Having a dad and a grandpa who has worked on old cars there hole life has them both stumped. Car has no engine codes or anything also. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

captsb890

Reaction score
If you haven't changed the TPS do that-( with rpm moving around it sounds like the culprit -if that doesn't solve it change the computer on pass side panel EEC ( last resort but only costs couple hundred--
I have an 89 5.8 and been through a lot of issues-- you just have to eliminate and if it doesn't shift it is vacuum issue--so crank engine and look at RPM gage--if registering some rpm then the crankshaft position indicator is ok. ECU sometimes creates a headache also--I took mine off the distributor and made a jumper and put it on the fender--runs cooler. The ECU positions the TPS----I had my Bronco down 9 months in a paint shop and it was crazy when I picked it up--The computer loses its memory-Drove me crazy.

OP
OP
Caden M

Caden M

Reaction score
Have you visually checked the throttle body? Make sure the butterfly is closing all the way. Not sticking. Wiggle the input shaft see how sloppy it is. Make sure the cable is not holding it open.

Another thing I do when trouble shooting is loosen the EGR valve and stick a quarter behind it to block it off. It eliminates and bleeding issues there. Never made a difference for me, but have heard where it had for others.

Also how is your oil? Over full? Smell like gas? It could be scavenging gas fumes from the crank case.

How did this problem start? Has the truck been sitting for a few years? Or just started doing it one day? Gradual over time?
I will check those things today thank you very much, and the truck was sitting for maybe 2 weeks, it ran perfect before the 2 weeks.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Are you running ETHANOL GAS? Take sme and put it in a clear plastic bottle and let it sit for 2 weeks. Then look at the syrp like stuff in the bottom. That will cause alot of problems in any motor. Good luck.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

johnnyreb

Reaction score
If it had sat for --say a week or two. Getting fire and gas. I would guess the ethanol gas messed up your injectors and other parts,. Have you taken the injectors out and cleaned them up? Try that. If that doesn,t help .Try looking at the throttle body where it feeds gas -in place of the carbeurator) really good. Get a magnified glass if you have too. You,d be surprised what the ***** eye can not see the small holes and detail--like rubber shape. Good luck

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I agree sounds like a huge vac leak.
Also some one who has good hearing. A friend stopped buy one day when I was working on mine. He said it sounded like I had a big vaccum leak. Then my cousin,s son said the same thing. I told them I couldn,t hear worth a s---. We went to looking and sure enough--the brake booster wasn,t hooked up. I,ve came along way with it and the help fromTiha and others on hear. You might also make a CHECK LIST of all you did and you,d be surprised what you may have forgotten or over looked. Good luck.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Johnny
Check throttle plate and linkage for binding, etc as shown in below chart.
See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/help-with-dtc-codes-and-idle.206824/
Tip, if the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost

View attachment 28046
Maybe I should check it on my DODGE TOO. Its done it since 2002 and its a 2001 model. I even changed the fuel pump twice. One thing I know I do have. One heck of a starter.hahaha

sinker4

Reaction score
Check the MAF on the air intake. If it isn't functioning or in place the engine wont run

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Check the MAF on the air intake. If it isn't functioning or in place the engine wont run

Sounds like you have crappy ethanol in it and has set idle a little while. It done the same thing to my bike.Seafoam DID NOT help it. Finally I got some Star Thron and it cleared it up in a little while. Put some ethanol gas in a bottle and check on it in a week or two--it looks like tar in the bottom of the jar. It will also eat metal up. It ate part of the arm in my gas seanding unit. Good luck.

captsb890

Reaction score
If after you clean out the fuel system and it still doesn't work, change the ECM , main computer as it disseminates all information received---and---they go bad with time and it won't show up on any code---------------if that doesn't work, I'll sell you my 89 Bronco !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke