Borg-Warner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneckn

Reaction score
I was up under my ride the yesterday and noticed that it has a Borg-Warner transfer case...

The reason why I bring this up is this: I have a wonderful book I picked up and Barnes and Noble a while back on clearance that has every single 4x4 that has been on the market from 1950-2000 in it. And I mean it lists them all. And it gives pictures of most them. Also, it lists everything from the production. The engines that it came with, the trans, the transfer cases, the tires, the price, the est. HP/Torque, everything. The trim, the colors, on and on.

In the 1986 Broncos, it only lists that they came with a NP208 transfer case. Might my book be wrong? I know I have the BW under there because it has a stamping on the case itself that reads "borg-warner" and then a string of numbers and such that I couldnt quite make out. (yet).

Either way, it is a bad thing that I have this transfer case?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I was up under my ride the yesterday and noticed that it has a Borg-Warner transfer case... The reason why I bring this up is this: I have a wonderful book I picked up and Barnes and Noble a while back on clearance that has every single 4x4 that has been on the market from 1950-2000 in it. And I mean it lists them all. And it gives pictures of most them. Also, it lists everything from the production. The engines that it came with, the trans, the transfer cases, the tires, the price, the est. HP/Torque, everything. The trim, the colors, on and on.

In the 1986 Broncos, it only lists that they came with a NP208 transfer case. Might my book be wrong? I know I have the BW under there because it has a stamping on the case itself that reads "borg-warner" and then a string of numbers and such that I couldnt quite make out. (yet).

Either way, it is a bad thing that I have this transfer case?
Many Big Bronco histories show the BW coming in for 87 models but many 86's have them stock.

see here for a listing.

the BW is a ok

OP
OP
Redneckn

Redneckn

Reaction score
Kool. I'm still trying to figure out what all has been tinkered with on this truck. They kid I bought it from didnt know a whole lot about it really. I was kinda shakey to buy it from him, but everything seemed to be in pretty good order and the price was fair enough considering the other 2 I looked at. I'm going to change the fluid in the T-case before I go wheeling anymore though. Actually need to go and change all the fluids and stuff that way, I know it's been done.

Is there anything I need to know about changing the fluid in the T-case? Or is it pretty much cut and dry?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Kool. I'm still trying to figure out what all has been tinkered with on this truck. They kid I bought it from didnt know a whole lot about it really. I was kinda shakey to buy it from him, but everything seemed to be in pretty good order and the price was fair enough considering the other 2 I looked at. I'm going to change the fluid in the T-case before I go wheeling anymore though. Actually need to go and change all the fluids and stuff that way, I know it's been done.
Is there anything I need to know about changing the fluid in the T-case? Or is it pretty much cut and dry?
Good idea on fluid/filter changes! yes, simple job.

some info for you from my old Chilton fior the 86

Borg-Warner 1345

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
MiesK5 is correct, and he has alot of good info on his website for Broncos. The B-W 13-45 can be found on 83-87 Broncos, although the NewProcess 208 is more common. Like the 208, the 13-45 is chain-drive and has an aluminum case. You want to keep the skid plate under the rig, as the case can easily be damaged if you drive over a large rock or tree. WHile the chain can stretch over time, most cases should give 200K miles of service or more. The number one cause of failure is lack of fluid killing the pump. And if your t-case has the weird plugs with the 7/16" square, inset holes, you can easily swap them out with some hex-head brass plugs from a hardware or auto parts store. It's easier to check the fluid that way on a regular basis (2-4x/year). For more info on t-cases, check out www.truckpulls.com JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23