E40d Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco9four

Reaction score
New to the site so I hope somebody can give some ideas or point me in the right direction. I own a 94 Bronco with 5.8l E4OD trans and 150,000 miles on the vehicle. The transmission was rebuilt about 6 years ago. The problem I had then was the torque convert let loose internally causing the trans to need to be rebuilt. Some time has passed no problems other than replacing the water pump and. The issue that I'm having now with the Bronco is the transmission shifting harsh at times. You can drive it for weeks on end without a shifting problem, then next day you drive it to the store to get milk and it acts up engine revs then shifts. Drive it back home then shifts fine no problems.. I have replaced the speed sensor on the rear end, replaced the selector switch on the side of the trans and I haven't yet replaced the TPS sensor.. I would love to get this Bronco fixed, but if I casn't I may be forced to sell it. So if anyone can point me in the right direct, it would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You

OP
OP
B

Bronco9four

Reaction score
Thanks Krafty. I'll look into that. Still could any of the sensors cause this problem????

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Bronco9four,

WELCOME!

Also the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning

If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that someone removed it.

Is the CEL LIOT all the time?

Same for the Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) (Overdrive off/on) Switch/LED

Is it blinking?

Anyway, Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

One GUESS is;

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; SEE D: Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations: 1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector; 3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy; 4. Dash Harness 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall. 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld.

Other codes will probably appear.

Also from the FORD Bronco Workshop Manual

1994 PCED OBDI-A SECTION 7A: EEC-IV Intermittent Fault Diagnosis

APPENDIX: Static Resistance Values

Static Resistance Values Device Acceptable Range (Ohms)

AIRB 50 to 100

AIRD 50 to 100

CANP 40 to 90

TCC 16 to 40

CCS 16 to 30

FC/LFC 65 to 110

EPC 3 to 6.5

EVR 30 to 70

FP 40 to 90

FP/CCRM 65 to 110

HEDF/CCRM 50 to 100

Injectors Refer to Section 9A

IMRC 50 to 100

IAC 7 to 13

SCVAC 40 to 75

SCVNT 100 to 150

SS 3/4 26 to 40

WAC 50 to 70

WAC/CCRM 1K min.

Solenoid,

Coast Clutch Solenoid (CCS)

Torque Converter Clutch (TCC)

Electronic Pressure Control (EPC)

OP
OP
B

Bronco9four

Reaction score
Well did some testing again. Tested the TPS Sensor its in good working order. Checked for any stored codes. I used a code reader from AutoZone that I bought and found a code 452. It tells me VSS (VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR). But as I stated in my first posting I have replaced the VSS.. Did another test without the code reader using a jumper wire, counted the flashes 452 (Computer detected an error in the VSS or PSOM signal during the last 80 warm-up cycles.)Still have the shifting problem, but it seems like it is more heat related. Checked the fluid level it is not burnt or low. Would simply changing the the fluid and filter help in any way? Or should I just take it to a transmission shop and let them look at it? Problem with that is the transmission does not act up all the time.. It may now that it is summer time the weather is hotter. Winter time not a problem at all with shifting. I'm more leaning towards a heat related issue.

OP
OP
B

Bronco9four

Reaction score
Well did some testing again. Tested the TPS Sensor its in good working order. Checked for any stored codes. I used a code reader from AutoZone that I bought and found a code 452. It tells me VSS (VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR). But as I stated in my first posting I have replaced the VSS.. Did another test without the code reader using a jumper wire, counted the flashes 452 (Computer detected an error in the VSS or PSOM signal during the last 80 warm-up cycles.)Still have the shifting problem, but it seems like it is more heat related. Checked the fluid level it is not burnt or low. Would simply changing the the fluid and filter help in any way? Or should I just take it to a transmission shop and let them look at it? Problem with that is the transmission does not act up all the time.. It may now that it is summer time the weather is hotter. Winter time not a problem at all with shifting. I'm more leaning towards a heat related issue.
This is the site that I found the info on code info: http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=49

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

DTC 452

Did you replace the VSS with a Ford unit?

because some from certain aftermarket companies are bad.

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; PSOM Operates Correctly, OD light blinks in a 95; "...test the other sensor and it is way out of wack 1855 Ohms. So this has to be the problem. Tomorrow I will replace it with a new one from the ford dealer..."

Source: by miesk5 and JRose 89 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; PSOM Operates Correctly; "...Continuous Memory DTC 29 indicates that during the last 80 warm-up cycles, the PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal. DTC 452 indicates the PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal during the last 40 warm-up cycles. his procedure EXACTLY, from the Ford TSP/PCED..." READ MORE

Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve)

Follow this procedure EXACTLY, from the Ford TSP/PCED:

Quote:

DS1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) 29 AND 452: CHECK PSOM RESISTANCE

DTC 452 indicates the PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal during the last 40 warm-up cycles.

Possible Causes:

-- Damaged Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS).

-- Damaged PSOM.

-- Damaged harness circuits.

-- Damaged PCM.

Key off.

l Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

l Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.

Where breakout box is mentioned , go to the EEC pin instead; for instance -

"Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6 at the breakout box"

go to this Connector Pin Depiction Pic by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

eec04.gif

& Ryan's LEGEND so you know what you are testing

http://oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

Pin 3 is VSS (+)

Pin 6 is VSS (-)

l Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6 at the breakout box.

l Is resistance between 21,000 and 55,000 ohms?

Yes

GO to «DS4».

No

GO to «DS2».

Quote:

DS2 CHECK CONTINUITY OF THE HARNESS CIRCUITS

l Key off.

l Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.

l Disconnect PSOM.

l Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 at the breakout box and PSOM(+) circuit at the PSOM vehicle harness connector.

l Measure resistance between Test Pin 6 at the breakout box and PSOM(-) circuit at the PSOM vehicle harness connector.

l Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes

GO to «DS3».

No

SERVICE open circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN «Quick Test».

Quote:

DS3 CHECK HARNESS CIRCUITS FOR SHORTS TO POWER AND GROUND

l Key off.

l Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.

l PSOM disconnected.

l Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pins 6, 37 and 40 at the breakout box.

l Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes

GO to «DS4».

No

SERVICE short circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN «Quick Test».

Quote:

DS4 CHECK RABS SENSOR RESISTANCE

l Key off.

l RABS disconnected.

l Measure the resistance of the RABS.

l Is resistance between 1300 and 1550 ohms?

Yes

GO to «DS5».

No

REPLACE the RABS. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN «Quick Test».

Quote:

DS5 CHECK PSOM OUTPUT VOLTAGE

WARNING:

THIS TEST STEP REQUIRES ANOTHER PERSON TO ACCOMPANY THE DRIVER TO MAKE MEASUREMENTS AND RECORD DATA. ALL APPLICABLE SAFETY PROCEDURES AND TRAFFIC LAWS MUST BE FOLLOWED.

l Key off.

l Breakout box installed.

l Reconnect PCM to breakout box.

l Reconnect PSOM.

l DVOM on 20 volt AC scale.

l Warm engine to operating temperature.

l Measure AC voltage between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6 while gradually increasing vehicle speed to 50 mph.

l Is the maximum voltage received greater than 4.0 volts?

Yes

REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RERUN «Quick Test».

No

REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT components. REFER to the Instrument Cluster, Speed Control or Brake Group in the Service Manual for further diagnosis.

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; SEE D: Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations: 1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector; 3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy; 4. Dash Harness 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall. 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld.

Source: by Chilton http://content.chiltonsonline.com/TSB/displayTSBHandler.ashx?assetID=36956&key=6kAUBD5BruOJf%2f3tgozUqjXM3RdbjcQqW4sVWiE%2fp2IojfpfKqM07dr61%2bQAWHtTZr4ceHaQGlj8NylACcNZ4qedMqy4JdYyAXN5akgfkpHUz4aCpJyaaA%3d%3d

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK