Codes... self testing and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
yo!For the Codes;

Try a Self Test for Codes;

Self Test - & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS! Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

and;

Self Test - A technician that is unfamiliar with the EEC Self-Test can mistakenly believe that continuous Memory codes are not present when they really are. He may run KOER Self-Test and get a pass code (111) and not realize that KOEO Self-Test must be run to receive any Continuous Memory codes. He may run KOEO Self-Test while counting MIL flashes and misinterpret the repeated hard fault pass code (111) to mean that Continuous Memory does not contain any codes. The engine temperature must be greater than 50

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Joe;

sorry for delay; am away from home again.

Here is a synopsis; am trying to get all INFO on Self Test for EEC IV and SCANNER Tests for OBD II in one doc.

The Key On Engine Off and Engine Running Self-Tests detect faults that are present at the time of testing. Faults that occur only when the vehicle is operating or intermittent faults that have occurred in the last 80 warm-up cycles are detected during Continuous Self-Test, stored in Continuous Memory and displayed during Key On Engine Off Self-Test.

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
How to Clear Keep Alive Memory (KAM)
The PCM stores information about vehicle operating conditions and uses this information to compensate for component tolerances. When an emission related component is replaced, Keep Alive Memory (KAM) should be cleared to erase the information stored by the PCM from the original component.

To clear KAM: Disconnect the negative side of the battery for a minimum of five minutes.

After KAM has been cleared, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle 10 miles or more to allow the processor to relearn values for optimum driveability and performance. (Distance is dependent on the vehicle application.)
Man you are a wealth of information!

Yep, I replaced my MAP sensor, and disconnected the battery cable for a while. When I first started her up, I just drove around the block a few times because she was running funny, the check engine light even came on. By time I drove a mile, everything was fine.

Which components are emission related components? I could guess, but I would rather someone who knows what they are talking about answer this question. I hope that this thread becomes one that is saved for posterity.

Thanks,

joe

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks Joe

Emission related parts; I start w the underhood emissions/timing etc decal;

Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) for 88 and up, PUK (49 States) Decal, PGP (Canada) Decal, Vacuum Diagrams & Calibration Parts List for 88 & UP - if hot Link does not take you direct; CLICK Quick Guides Scroll to bottom; Provides Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and a related calibration parts list. Enter applicable info (need to know your Calibration number off of your PCM)

Source: by Ford motorcraftservice.com

so a quick look gives these parts;

VALVE ASSY, Thermactor Air By-Pass F5TE 9B289-CA F5TZ 9B289-C

SENSOR ASSY, Catalyst Exhaust Gas Oxygen Monitor- DOWNSTREAM F65F 9G444-CA F65Z 9G444-C

RESERVIOR ASSY, EGR Vacuum F4UE 9E453-CA F4UZ 9E453-C

CONTROL ASSY, EGR Vacuum Regulator FOTE 9J459-A1A FOTZ 9J459-A

SENSOR ASSY, EGR Pressure Valve F48E 9J460-BA, BB F4ZZ 9J460-B

VALVE ASSY, Thermactor Air Control Solenoid Vacuum E7TE 9H465-BA E7TZ 9H465-B

SENSOR ASSY, Exhaust Gas Oxygen - UPSTREAM F68F 9F472-AA F68Z 9F472-A

VALVE ASSY, EGR F27E 9D475-A2B, A4B F2TZ 9D475-A

TUBE ASSY, EGR Valve to Exhaust Manifold F6TE 9D477-ED, EE F6TZ 9D477-E

PUMP ASSY, Thermactor E5TE 9A486-DB E5TZ 9A486-D

VALVE ASSY, Thermactor Check - 3/4-14 Thread One End-Hose ****** One End - UPSTREAM E9VZ 9A487-A

INJECTOR ASSY, Fuel F2TE 9F593-A3A F2TZ 9F593-A

VALVE ASSY, Throttle Air By-Pass F4TE 9F715-AA F4TZ 9F715-A

REGULATOR ASSY, Fuel Charging Pressure F4TE 9C968-BA F4TZ 9C968-B

POTENTIOMETER ASSY, Throttle Position Sensor F6TF 9B989-AA F6TZ 9B989-AA

DISTRIBUTOR ASSY F2TE 12127-AA F2TZ 12127-A

SENSOR ASSY, Mass Airflow F5UF 12B579-BA F5UZ 12B579-BA

SENSOR ASSY, Engine Electronic Control Coolant Temperature F5AF 12A648-AA F5AZ 12A648-A

PROCESSOR AND CALIBRATOR ASSY, Powertrain Control Module - EEC-V - TYPE: ML1-441 - REPROGRAMMABLE F6TF 12A650-TC F6TZ 12A650-TC

SENSOR ASSY, Air Charge Temperature

and then those shown in a typical List of DTCs; such as;

112 : Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor circuit low voltage/ 254

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. There is quite a bit of information here, especially if one goes through some of the links presented above.

I noted an omission on this page.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Self Test - & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS! Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

It starts with step 3 for some reason step one and two were omitted.

I looked through the site for contact info, and found none. I tried webmaster, info, and root @fordfuelinjection.com, and all three failed.

Are there codes that a dealership with expensive equipment might get that a back yard mechanic, or a small shop may not be able to get unless they buy expensive diagnostic equipment?

joe

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe.. yeah.. that's been bothering me for awhile; I have changed the descriptions in my site to Ryan and Steve's Links to reflect this.

Are there codes that a dealership with expensive equipment might get that a back yard mechanic, or a small shop may not be able to get unless they buy expensive diagnostic equipment?

joe

most code readers can do same job that the dealer equipt does.

be well!

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I'm sorry... I didn't clearly ask the question I was thinking of.

It seems that there are a variety of methods of obtaining trouble codes.

1. The Haynes, and Chilton manuals list a number of codes that can be obtained by setting a jumper and flash codes by counting the number of times the "check engine light", or the "abs warning light" flashes on the dash.
  2. Aparrantly there are trouble code tools, that allow the home mechanic to extract the "fault code" number from the on board computer that has sensed a problem (usually indicated by the check engine light)
  3. Also there are hand held scanners that access computer codes like the code readers mentioned above, but they also provide an actual interface into the vehicles computer.
  4. Scanners for professional mechanics, such as dealerships.

Here are a bunch of questions.

Can one flash all of the codes that one could get with a trouble code reader?

Can one get all of the codes with a trouble code reader that one can get with a hand held scanner?

Can one get all of the codes with a hand held scanner that one could get with professional dealership type equipment?

IF one can read more information with one type of tester than another listed above, could you give me examples of what kind of information could be obtained from each of the progressively more expensive piece of equipment, that could not be obtained from the less expensive equipment?

Only if progressively more information is obtainable would this statement and question be valid:

I am thinking that there may be a time when I do not have enough information, and will need to make a decision... do I buy a code reader or scan tool or do I need to take it to a dealer or professional mechanic, OR am I at a point where I just have to start swapping out components. When can I expect that better equipment will save me the cost of swapping out components. Is there a time when a professional mechanic will also reach a point that he will also just swap out components?

I hope all this makes sense.

I know that you don't get paid for this, so don't feel obligated to reply.

Thanks for all your input to me personally, and to the forum at large.

joe

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

Am away from home again so I'll try to reply better and get it in before my laptop quits... again...lol

I'll reply after each Q.

It seems that there are a variety of methods of obtaining trouble codes.

Yes, for non-OBD II, you can do a self test w/MM or jumpers, or reader

[

[*]The Haynes, and Chilton manuals list a number of codes that can be obtained by setting a jumper and flash codes by counting the number of times the "check engine light", or the "abs warning light" flashes on the dash.

[*]Aparrantly there are trouble code tools, that allow the home mechanic to extract the "fault code" number from the on board computer that has sensed a problem (usually indicated by the check engine light)

[*]Also there are hand held scanners that access computer codes like the code readers mentioned above, but they also provide an actual interface into the vehicles computer.

[*]Scanners for professional mechanics, such as dealerships.

Here are a bunch of questions.

Can one flash all of the codes that one could get with a trouble code reader? for EEC IV yes - ODB III (EEC V) ... for home use, yes and it depends on the mfgr of the reader and product...Here is a review of the Actron Reader for OBD II http://reviews.cnet.com/car-security-syste...7-31678152.html

Can one get all of the codes with a trouble code reader that one can get with a hand held scanner?

Yes for eec iv; for OBD II, I heard Ford is adding DTC possible causes to some 96+ models of Fords. Again, the price range will make a difference

Can one get all of the codes with a hand held scanner that one could get with professional dealership type equipment?

I'm replying for just our broncos now - From above LINK; "...But it didn't report basic parameters such as engine speed, coolant temperature, and spark advance, which more sophisticated devices show. For those who need further detailed info, there are pricier Actron scanners as well as a professional line..." This about sums up the old $ vs. value decision.

IF one can read more information with one type of tester than another listed above, could you give me examples of what kind of information could be obtained from each of the progressively more expensive piece of equipment, that could not be obtained from the less expensive equipment?

For example, some (under say, $70.00) can not read real-time sensor values (what the sensors are "providing the PCM" at the time of failure) , as well as a great deal of engine data from the "Freeze Frame Data" function; MAF rate, MAP values, oxy sensor milli volts,engine speed, ECT temperature, timing advance, etc.

To go to the top of the Line equipt. such as what Ford service uses, "...With the arrival of the new Controller Area Network (CAN) vehicle communication protocol in 2003, Ford began moving to a flexible and modular diagnostic tools strategy that uses standard computing platforms (e.g. laptops, Pocket-PCs, etc.) with Ford's new VCM and VMM devices. .."

read what this test equiptmt can do here;

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ret...mp;menuIndex1=8

again, this is for OBD II; I have an Actron model. goes for $70.00 on e bay now; I have used it to diagnose CELs for O2 sensors, corroded FI connector (misfire DTC that showed #6 was bad...), blown fuse to cig lighter...lol. scanner wouldn't power up; a common Ford F series and B prob since lighter shares same ckt w/OBD II diag. Link connector...DPFE...and a few other thAngs I have forgotten about. As far as upgrading to a more $ test scanner, I'll pass for now and stay w/the actron. ie. a service shop high end product goes for about $7,000.00

I need time to post a few diff products and list attributes and negatives about each, going up the $ (and Qual of Info) scale. If I can get home soon, will do...

ok; starting w/Ford's Portable Diagnostic Software (PDS);

"...PDS is the replacement for NGS and NGS+. PDS operates on approved Pocket-PC's, providing high end scan tool diagnostic software for use with a Vehicle Communication Module (VCM). PDS functionality is vehicle dependent and may include tools such as Self Test, Datalogger, Module Reprogramming, Power Balance, and many other Service Functions. As a portable scan tool, PDS can be used both in the service bay and for on-the-road testing. PDS is not intended to be used as the sole diagnostic tool. IDS provides 100% coverage..."

Ford gives a comparison of IDS vs. PDS http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds...lity_Matrix.htm

Take a look at this and you'll see from all pract. purposes the PDS is basically good enuf for most ts purposes. Now, maybe we should compare the Ford PDS to say, an Actron< Equs or Snap On product next?

Only if progressively more information is obtainable would this statement and question be valid:

I am thinking that there may be a time when I do not have enough information, and will need to make a decision... do I buy a code reader or scan tool or do I need to take it to a dealer or professional mechanic, OR am I at a point where I just have to start swapping out components. When can I expect that better equipment will save me the cost of swapping out components. Is there a time when a professional mechanic will also reach a point that he will also just swap out components?I forget, I believe from my fading memory that you do not have OBD II, so. I'd go (and have gone this way) w/ the self test procedure.

I'll post this before I lose my laptop batty... and go thru it again when I'm home,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
This is a little off topic.

My check engine light came on in my '99 4.6 liter crown vic.

I ran down to AutoZone where they scanned my car for free.

Misfire in cyl #4.

I replaced the coil and wire for that cylinder... (there are eight coils... one for each cylinder) and she is running fine.

The check engine light is still on.

Is there a way to clear the code without a scanner or code reader (as there is in the broncos)?

Earlier in this thread I was told pulling the battery cable to clear codes is a bad idea.

Thanks

joe

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I ran a few errands, and after turning the car off and starting it four or five times, the check engine light didn't come on anymore.

hehehe... that made may day a little better yet :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

joe

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member